Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
1ciderdog's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,325
If for some reason you need to back up chances of backing with a dolly are much better than towing four down. I also have towed the same vehicle on dolly and four down. Just my opinion but neither are a real pain to deal with - just part of the fun (or work) of RV travel.
__________________

__________________
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Zoafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 476
May be a dumb question but....

If towing 4 down it obviously adds miles to the vehicle but if you tow using a dolly does it also add miles?

Jamie
__________________

__________________
1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36T Diesel Pusher
Zoafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
All very good advise. Thanks everyone! For the time being, based on your comments, I am going to keep the dolly and make a trip and let you all know...

Good choice! Since you are already set up to tow on a dolly it would be beneficial to try it and see how it works out.

I am also a first timer having bought the motorhome and dolly and still waiting to take my first trip. I read a ton of threads and the populace tends to be fairly evenly split with a slight preference towards 4 down.

The 4 down folks major points are:
1. Easier and less time to hook up
2. No getting dirty hooking up
3. No worries about finding a place to store the dolly.

The dolly folks major points are:
1. Flexibility to take different vehicles
2. Does not take a lot longer to hook up
3. Cheaper than towing 4 down
__________________
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Dan DeBruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 268
Like most folks, I started with a dolly because I had a FWD automatic that could not be towed flat. I know tow a 2010 Jetta TDI manual tranmission flat. It took me a while to get all the gear but purchased some of it here and some on craiglist so the cost was considerably less than new. Works great, cuts set up time by about half and if it is raining and nasty, I don't have to reach into the wheel wells to hook up the car. I would tow with a dolly anytime if I had to, not a problem, just easier flat. I never really had a problem with storage of the dolly but it is a pain to hand tow around. If you keep the dolly, have a trailer hitch on the car, then you can just spin it around and tow the dolly with the car where ever you need to go.
__________________
Dan and Kathryn DeBruin plus dogs
2005 Newmar Dutchstar 4009
Victor NY
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,449
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
May be a dumb question but....

If towing 4 down it obviously adds miles to the vehicle but if you tow using a dolly does it also add miles?

Jamie
Most odometers are now electronic. I have had 2 toads: Saturn SL2, Wrangler. No miles are added while towing.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
GULFSTREAM37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WATERBURY, CT.
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
When I recently purchased my motorhome, I also purchased an almost new tow dolly for an extra $500. It's the kind of dolly where the front wheels of the toad are off the ground. In doing some reading, it seems like most people tow with a bar setup where all 4 tires are on the road. I'd like to know if there is some major reason why I would want or would prefer to have this setup over the one I have now. This is all so new, that I have not yet towed my car, and would like to get this figured out before I do. I have a 2012 VW Passat SE with a manual transmission. Any insight is appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the first newb to ask this question, so if this is a beat to death topic, please direct me to the thread. Thanks!
You own the Dolly Stick with it, the flexibility to tow any vehicle that is Front wheel drive is Awesome.

I started with nothing and weighed all my options and a Dolly was the Best fit for me.

I bought a KarKaddy SS which is the cream of the crop, first trip was 2600 Miles, I had to leave my back up camera on so I would know the car was there otherwise I might forget, can't feel a thing it is So Smooth.

I roll 70 MPH on cruise control.

Hook up is Fast and Easy, I carry a 3 x 6 tarp in case the ground might be wet.

The Trick with the Straps it to not have more than 2 turns of webbing on the spool and make sure you carefully place the straps evenly on the tires taking all the slack out, and it will not loosen up.

I only had to readjust mine once after the first hook up about 10 miles, I assume because the straps were brand new, after that you should be able to set them and check them at each fill up.

I suggest you establish what works best for you.

Ted.
__________________
2007 GULFSTREAM CRESCENDO 37 MODEL-378 FRED CUMMINS 5.9 300 HP ALLISON 2000MH 5 SPEED BANKS DIESEL TUNER W IQ 2.0 FOR UP TO 85 RWHP AND 203 RWTQ
GULFSTREAM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi StevieG,
I tow 4 down and with a dolly (not at the same time) Forget the dealer. Look in the owners manual to determine if a vehicle can be towed four down. The owners manual is the only place the manufacturer makes the towing statement, in writing.
But also remember: the owners manual can be wrong too!!

That has happened to Honda and Ford and probably others.

Best to call the manufacturers customer service, ask them and tne get it in writing. I did that in 2004 re the 2005 Odyssey. By having it in writing I forced Honda to pay us back over $2,300 we spent on the towbar and brackets.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
trampsrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sault ste marie,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 310
you need safety chains on the dolly to attach to the VW for safety reasons.do you have a spare tire with the dolly? try towing the VW on the dolly with a buddies truck to see how it handles before you try it with the rv.
__________________
1997 four winds windsport 38,000 miles
1999 ford ranger sport on a master tow car dolly
Rob,Faye and peanut(long haired chiwawa)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
GULFSTREAM37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WATERBURY, CT.
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46 View Post
Good choice! Since you are already set up to tow on a dolly it would be beneficial to try it and see how it works out.

I am also a first timer having bought the motorhome and dolly and still waiting to take my first trip. I read a ton of threads and the populace tends to be fairly evenly split with a slight preference towards 4 down.

The 4 down folks major points are:
1. Easier and less time to hook up
2. No getting dirty hooking up
3. No worries about finding a place to store the dolly.

The dolly folks major points are:
1. Flexibility to take different vehicles
2. Does not take a lot longer to hook up
3. Cheaper than towing 4 down
4. Brakes included
5. lights included
6. no vehicle specific items like tow bars and wire harnesses
Added to your list

I have a spare tire mounted on mine also.
__________________
2007 GULFSTREAM CRESCENDO 37 MODEL-378 FRED CUMMINS 5.9 300 HP ALLISON 2000MH 5 SPEED BANKS DIESEL TUNER W IQ 2.0 FOR UP TO 85 RWHP AND 203 RWTQ
GULFSTREAM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Zoafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Most odometers are now electronic. I have had 2 toads: Saturn SL2, Wrangler. No miles are added while towing.
That is good to know. I recently leased my wife a 2013 Explorer and was worried about towing it.
__________________
1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36T Diesel Pusher
Zoafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
You own the Dolly Stick with it, the flexibility to tow any vehicle that is Front wheel drive is Awesome.

I started with nothing and weighed all my options and a Dolly was the Best fit for me.

I bought a KarKaddy SS which is the cream of the crop, first trip was 2600 Miles, I had to leave my back up camera on so I would know the car was there otherwise I might forget, can't feel a thing it is So Smooth.

I roll 70 MPH on cruise control.

Hook up is Fast and Easy, I carry a 3 x 6 tarp in case the ground might be wet.

The Trick with the Straps it to not have more than 2 turns of webbing on the spool and make sure you carefully place the straps evenly on the tires taking all the slack out, and it will not loosen up.

I only had to readjust mine once after the first hook up about 10 miles, I assume because the straps were brand new, after that you should be able to set them and check them at each fill up.

I suggest you establish what works best for you.

Ted.
Agreed! I have the Kar Kaddy SS460 and I like the option to tow either of my cars (both FWD). I have observed a number of people hooking up the 4 wheels down as well as loading the dolly and in my opinion the time and effort is a wash between the two towing arrangements.
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #26
Member
 
Sargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 88
I have a 2001 tracker 4x4 automatic can put transfer case into neutral. Got a Demco hitch with MH. But hadn't gotten base plate bought yet. Came across Demco kk260 kar kaddy bought it. Question tracker on kk backwards or front with transfer case in neutral which would you do. Bought kk for flexibility to tow other vehicles.
__________________
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
chboone's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Horse Town USA, CA.
Posts: 2,933
In the manual, Demco says to always load the front wheels on the dolly. If you don't have the manual go to their web site and down load it.

Owners Manuals

Chuck Boone
__________________

__________________
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dolly



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.