Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tow Dolly

I think I'm going to go with a tow dolly as the car I want isn't available in a manual transmission. I'm looking at an "EZE-TOW" Dolly by Acme Tow Dolly Company out of Kernersville, NC. They have it, they say on sale for $1,799.99, how does this sound? Does anyone have any experience with them? Also any info on using a tow dolly pros and cons. Thanks for any input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #2

I don't have one yet but have researched the idea and have determined for my purposes the Acme Tow dolly would work best. It has surge controlled disc brakes rather than electric drum brakes which in my opinion are much better. It does cost more but if you don't have an electric brake controller already installed you will need one for the electric controlled drum brakes. Hopefully someone with experience with the different types will chime in soon.

Mike

Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

My Acme Eze dolly has only been used about 5,000 miles with no problems. I has been easy to hook up and can not tell it is back there with Honda Accord on it. Just purchased a Jeep so will be towing it 4 down. I recommend the Acme brand but not for me because I want a Jeep to tour places I can't go in a car.

Acme sale price is a good deal.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
osok if you store it vertical against a wall do the fenders hit the floor?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I think I'm going to go with a tow dolly as the car I want isn't available in a manual transmission. I'm looking at an "EZE-TOW" Dolly by Acme Tow Dolly Company out of Kernersville, NC. They have it, they say on sale for $1,799.99, how does this sound? Does anyone have any experience with them? Also any info on using a tow dolly pros and cons. Thanks for any input.

When we started RV'ing in 2009 we wanted to tow a VW Beetle behind our motor home and it was short so we tried it on a few dollies with attached ramps and they would not work as the ramp would come too close to the underside of the car and we knew that they would damage the car. Our solution because of it's low height and removable ramps was the Acme EZY-TOW dolly. We only used the VW for one year and changed to a 2011 Kia Sorento and the dolly has worked great. In all we have taken it from Florida to Nova Scotia 4 times and this year we took it on a 11'000 mile trek around the western US, this all ,along with many shorter trips totaled to about 35'000 miles on the dolly. Outside of replacing tires we have not had one single problem with the dolly. I think an EZY-TOW would work great for you. We sold ours just a week ago as we bought a Jeep Wrangler which we plan to flat tow. Hopefully our years of travel to come while flat towing will be looked back on as favorably as our travels have been with the EZY-TOW . I hope you enjoy your travels which ever dolly you decide on ...Alan
Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #6

Quote:
I think the problem with storing it that way is that the Fenders and tail lights will come in contact with the floor before it is in the upright position That was the case with the one we had anyways but maybe they have changed the way they are constructed to allow for that. Our Dolly came packaged in the upright position but the fenders and tail lights were removed for shipping
....Alan
Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

I got a good used 2010 Acme dolly for sale if anyone is interested! Just send me a private message. They are great dolly's in my opinion. I just quit using mine and rent a car.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try American Car Dolly in Ft. Morgan, Colorado. "MADE IN USA". Bought one and love it. The owner is a true patriot and American made himself including his business, which he started from scratch. He even delivered my unit to where my home is in upstate NY and delivery is included in the purchase price. It has electric brakes and you can purchase a brake controller which is mounted directly on the dolly. He provides a demo on adjusting the controller and also how to properly hook up your car to the dolly and fit and adjust straps as well when he arrives at your home with the new unit. Go to americancardollycom and see for yourself. Good luck and safe travels...
Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpykmpr47 View Post
I think the problem with storing it that way is that the Fenders and tail lights will come in contact with the floor before it is in the upright position That was the case with the one we had anyways but maybe they have changed the way they are constructed to allow for that. Our Dolly came packaged in the upright position but the fenders and tail lights were removed for shipping
....Alan
I looked at storing mine standing up and decided if I do it I will just lay a couple short pcs. of 4x4 lumber down under the rear cross bar. That will raise the lights clear.

I just bought mine and finished a 700 mile trip w/o any problems. go to the Toads and Towing forum here and do an ACME search, lot of info available.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone, good info. Steve where you located?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an EZE-Tow (bought second hand) with over 10,000 miles on it (total miles are unknown) towing our small SUV (3,500lb)...it is great!

To stand it up for storage, just place blocks under the rear of the tray and hoist it upright. One of our other iRV2 members stores his upright and posted a pic of it in his garage...will try to find it later.

It is all American made. The surge disc brakes are fantastic, auto adjusting from fully loaded to empty with no user action. The steel frame is powder coated for long rust free life. Break-away safety is part of the brake system. The straps are good and can be replaced with original style or Demco style staps too.

The fixed frame steers around turns just like a flat towed car, with the cars steering unlocked (it MUST be unlocked) allowing the cars front wheels to pivot around turns...no pivot pan or steering axle needed like the competition.

Don't let the low profile wheels and tires trick you, they can carry a lot of weight.

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #12

Quote:
I've never tried it but as I see several others are giving you answers. Mine is for sale but not good for you as I am in Texas.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were in Texas this year but don't know when we will be again. Thanks for all your input.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks everyone, good info. Steve where you located?
Sent you a PM with my number. Also the dolly is listed in the classified on here.

Tags
dolly, tow dolly