Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
I have a Stehl Tow dolly that has the swivel plate, It takes me about 5 to 8 minutes to hitch the dolly, put the car on our off, time is not a factor at all, plus I can buy the vehicle I want without modifications, as long as it is front wheel drive which both my cars are. The dolly has a wheel in the front for easy maneuvering to hitch up or store. This has worked great for us. good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN at CS.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	139984   Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	139985  

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club

Need to tag along on this as we are looking for a possible dolly to tow our 2007 Prius.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Brakes are not required in all 50 US states. Ask U Haul.
It is a weight thing, one state is over 4500 lbs, most are 3000 lbs, and a few start at 1500 lbs. Hard to find a car and a dolly that is under 3000 lbs.

And no moral person would tow a trailer (a dolly with a car is a trailer) without break-away brakes should the dolly get disconnected. Unlike a travel trailer than will drop at the tongue and come to a halt, the dolly is balanced under the car's front wheels and can roll on to run into something or someone.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you ever pulled a wagon as a kid, you remember how the front wheels pivoted when you turned. When you use a tow dolly, the dollys wheels are like the front wheels of that wagon, and they need to turn, so the dolly has to have some kind of pivot point, just like the wagon.

If the tow dolly has a swivel plate, the swivel plate acts as that pivot point.

If the dolly doesn't have a swivel plate (Acme EZtow) the cars front wheels act as the pivot point. This is why the cars steering needs to be unlocked when on a Acme dolly.

RAMPS

The swivel plate dolly are a little more convenient to load/unload, because you don't need to mess with ramps, as they are usually built into the dolly, and the entire dolly tilts to lower the ramps.

The Acme dolly has removable ramps. Having the ramps removable allows you more clearance on the dolly, and the ramps won't drag the ground and won't hit the rocker panels on the car.

NOTE - There are reports of the Acme ramps popping off while loading/unloading the dolly. I installed a latch pin on each ramp to prevent this from happening.

Acme EZE-TOW dolly ramps pop off while loading / unloading | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Also, the Acme dolly can be stored standing on its end, because there are no ramps.

Fender Clearance

Someone mentioned the wheel fender clearance. Swivel plates have a very close clearance between the dolly fenders and the car, dolly fenders could hit a wide car or a car not loaded in the center.

The Acme dolly has smaller wheels, and its almost impossible to get the dolly fenders to hit the car.

Sharp turns

Both dolly behave the same, If you exceed the turning radius of the dolly, you will drag the dollys front tires sideways in the turn.

Backing up

Yes, its possible, and with a lot of practice, you could back up either dolly any distance you want. But for the casual, "overshoot the gas pump by a couple feet" . Not a problem, just keep a close eye on it

With the swivel plate, you need to be extremely careful backing, as the dolly wants to go one way, and the car the other. But again, a couple feet is usually not a problem.

Acme - The acme dolly is a lot more forgiving while backing and I can back it much farther (straight line), before the dolly wants to go in a different direction than the car.

Brakes

Most of the dollys I've seen come with optional brakes. Yes, for the small additional price, get the brakes.

I prefer the surge brakes as they take care of themselves. no adjustments, no connections. etc.

The only item about surge brakes,, you can't back up to far or uphill without installing the locking pin in the surge brake (this keeps it from activating while backing up)
Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonallie View Post
Aren't many consideration as to what kind of car you can or can not just hook up and tow?
Store : Remco

That site lists what cars can be towed or modified to tow.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #20

Tow Dolly

That's my thinking Dennis, with a dolly we're not limited to a certain car. My Chevy Malibu is keyless...anyway i should buy a small used car. Lots of pro's and con's...I found a big manufacture of dolly’s just across the river down in Oregon…might just run down and and take a look
Old 09-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have an Acme dolly and it works well for us. I bought a used Saab convertible because the steering wheel did not lock and pulled it to Yuma last winter. The Saab was a fun convertible and it towed well on the dolly.

I sold the Saab and bought a Volkswagen Eos and will tow that to Florida this coming winter.

The dolly stores under our C and it only adds a foot or two for storage as our spare on the bracket that is on our dual hitch sticks out anyway.

The Saab was fun but I was able to sell it as I had no 'sunk cost' as you do in a 4 wheel down configuration.

When I tire of the VW Eos I can easily sell it as there is no 'sunk cost' so owning and using a dolly gives you latitude in acquiring or disposing of a toad.

The Acme dolly is pretty light (at least well balanced) so you can 'manhandle' it into a camp site if you are having trouble backing it into a site.

The surge brakes work well and it tracks well too (we made the mistake of arriving at Cottonwood AZ via Jerome - NOT RECOMMENDED) but we made it without incident.

If you buy an Acme dolly get a second brake blocker (key) so if you lose it you have a spare to back up with. I lost mine at Dead Horse Ranch SP AZ and did not know this until I was home and about to back into my storage space
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
+1 for master tow dolly with brakes. I like electric brakes since you can adjust sensativity from the drivers seat, but installation is a little more complicated.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I have a Stehl Tow dolly that has the swivel plate, It takes me about 5 to 8 minutes to hitch the dolly, put the car on our off, time is not a factor at all, plus I can buy the vehicle I want without modifications, as long as it is front wheel drive which both my cars are. The dolly has a wheel in the front for easy maneuvering to hitch up or store. This has worked great for us. good luck!
+2

Piece of cake to load and tow. I bought the Stehl model with surge disc brakes, so I don't even have to connect any brakes. Have towed a couple different cars. Works great.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A dolly is towed equipment. They do not require plates. A trailer does.

Brakes are not required in all 50 US states. Ask U Haul.
Every tow dolly I've rented from U-Haul has not had brakes. Every tow dolly I've owned has had surge brakes.

Here in WA if there is a car on the dolly then no license plate or registration required. If no car on the dolly then a license plate and registration is required.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Went with an ACME Tow Dolly. Did not want to buy a different car that was capable of four down towing. Plus the additional cost was prohibitive. Yes it takes a little longer but the money saved now and the ability to own a car that I want was paramount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150416_0715138631.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	140163  
mihiggie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #26

Belt & Suspenders man here! Never caught with pants down.....

Flat tow the Grand Cherokee & have an Acme dolly for her Front Wheel Drive Escape. Dolly has surge brakes and I've got a Brake Buddy for the Jeep. Every state has different laws on what requires brakes and it's usually based on the weight of the towed vehicle. I got myself covered no matter what I pull - ergo "Belt & Suspenders".
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #27

I have used a Landgrebe tow dolly for 6 years and 40000+ miles. It is unlike any other that I have seen in that it's wheels are caster action and steerable-the fenders do not move. I have no interest in the company but take a look at towtrailer.com. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #28

I have a new Acme, disk brakes, spare tire, wireless lights for tow car. Never used. The reason is I own a View G. I weighed my View and it was to heavy. I also added HWH levelers and a Travler dish. The levelers made my setup so fast that I can take the View anywhere and level it to keep the refrigerator level.
If anyone wants a good deal on a Acme and you are near Seattle, contact me.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly