Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
BIL had to get rid of steerable dolly that pinched it's fenders against the car fenders.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #30

will do on posting.
agree on working on pro's and con's. if i wasn't traveling (temporary duty) right now I'd start working on.
I'm going to see if anyone has any of these in San Antonio while I'm here working til Friday.

SiteCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
we purchase a tow dolly with electric brakes, and self steer from www.towdollies.com
I did install with the help of my brother a brake control, although I first wanted to go with the surge brake system, after finding there good for states that are flat with some hills, its best to have eletric brakes so you can be safe going into states that have mountains and you are able to adjust the brakes,
Old 05-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Swamphog,

I hate to break your bubble and have to repeat what I said in my earlier post, you get what you pay for.

The unit does have electric brakes which is a good thing, however it DOES NOT have steering. They seem to think that if the table moves that is steering which it is not as the wheels do not follow the motorhome. My tow dolly made by Roadmaster has tie rod ends and the wheels actually steer just like a car. Now you may not think that is important but it is as it don't scuff tires and if motorhome can get through so can dolly.

I suggest you go to www.roadmasterinc.com and check out the 2001 series tow dolly.

Lastly I would suggest you carry a spare tire and maybe install a third wheel to move it around.

Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
ok, I see what you are trying to "teach us", as I am not FT yet, and for now this dolly will have to do, the price I paid for a 150 miles on it with a spare was $750.00, bought from a close friend who thought they use it, as it sat for two years, they sold it to me and bought a "flat bed trailer" to pull there toys, I used it once for 64 miles round trip, But I do understand what you are saying. But I am able to pull vehicals of all sizes as my ramps are adjustable.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lets don't let this get in to "my dog is bigger than your dog" scenario. I've often bought what I could afford and even though it may not have been the best, it worked for me. Sounds like you got a really good deal on the dolly swamphog.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #35

I bought the American Car Dolly because it had everything I needed and will accomodate low riding vehicle. The platform swivels and the brake controller they made is genious
We love it
Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
the brakes are the item one should be concern about the most, but this is my opion.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Two things, 10 inch tires and when you have a blow out, wonder where you would go buy them.

Maybe where they sell lawn tractor tires? No mine are 12 inch tires. Nuff said?

I understand what you are saying about tire availability, but isn't the lower ride a good thing? I mean, if the vehicle you are going to tow sits low it seems like the less you raise the front the better? I do not know enough about these things so I really do need the info.

That said, our MH did come with an electric brake system already installed so I'm thinking we WOULD like to get a trailer with electric brakes. Makes since to use the system we already have so long as we can get a dolly we can afford that is compatible.

Thanks to everyone for the continued discussion......getting a great education, and a variety of opinions give us much food for thought.
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I would like to comment on tire size and forget about low to the ground.

You have to look at the 10" tire and see what the weight capacity of the tire is and then find out what the weight of the front of the car is. You will probably notice the front of the car doesn't have 10" tires. Check the weight capacity of those tires. My Tow dolly has 14" tires with sufficient weight capacity to carry any front wheel drive car. Another point to consider is make sure any 14" tire you buy or use on a tow dolly of trailer is a trailer tire and not a car tire as car tires flex more on the sidewall hence you get fish tailing.

I would like to further state that I'm not trying to tell you what to do but just giving you info that I have learned over the years plus making the wrong decision migh affect others on the road if an accident happened.

Lastly like I said in previous post less expensive is not necessary the best so bite the bullet and go for the correct thing for your application.

Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I would like to comment on tire size and forget about low to the ground.

You have to look at the 10" tire and see what the weight capacity of the tire is and then find out what the weight of the front of the car is. You will probably notice the front of the car doesn't have 10" tires. Check the weight capacity of those tires. My Tow dolly has 14" tires with sufficient weight capacity to carry any front wheel drive car. Another point to consider is make sure any 14" tire you buy or use on a tow dolly of trailer is a trailer tire and not a car tire as car tires flex more on the sidewall hence you get fish tailing.

I would like to further state that I'm not trying to tell you what to do but just giving you info that I have learned over the years plus making the wrong decision migh affect others on the road if an accident happened.

Lastly like I said in previous post less expensive is not necessary the best so bite the bullet and go for the correct thing for your application.

Enjoy!
Yep, that's what I want to do.......and thank you all for the continuing education!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #40

Well, we finally made a decision and bought a tow dolly.....actually not one of any of the brands we were considering. We found a couple selling all their RV 'stuff' as the hubby got a promotion so wasn't retiring as planed.
It is made by Landgrebe Manufacturing out of Valparaiso, IN.
Model #'TD 40 101 Magnum' It is heavy duty and has 'surge' brakes. (But, they come either way) It has 'caster action steering', and the tires turn, but not the fenders. And, we can lock the wheels from steering when towing empty. It has 15" tires, also.....we got it for $1000. Did we do OK?

We are thinking about putting a tow hitch on the toad, also....so we can move the tow dolly around at home or at a park, and so that if we ever need to leave the MH at a repair shop somewhere, in case of a break-down, we can take the dolly with us.......does anyone do this?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #41
gad

Anybody on this one no anything about the tandem tow HDXL? Trying to pull both the car and the bike.

Greg
Old 08-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I found a company out east that made a dolly that was able to put a atv/ bike. etc on a platform then it had ramps to pull a toad all bilt into one, I wish I could remeber the name. I do believe i seen it the Motorhome mag, a few yrs back.