Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #15

Are you telling me that I need to flat tow My element?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
We have a MasterTow Dolly with surge brakes and tow a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid with no problems. I check the straps every time we stop, which is pretty often at my age, and tighten if necessary. It's worked well for us and I didn't have to modify the car.

Dick

Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #17

My Honda Element is a 2 wheel drive, I looked under the car and the back wheel are free wheeling. Front wheel drive only. Also the reason I purchased the dolly is the 2010 was not flat towable as per the Honda book
Old 05-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #18

My Element is a 2wheel drive and is towable on a dolly, back wheels are free wheeling
Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a Master Tow Dolly and the only problem I had was I didn't read the entire manual about cars with low cowling. We tow a Volvo wagon. Front cowling got destroyed. Got a new Volvo wagon and read dolly manual and posted question on this site and answer was, build small ramps to place under dolly ramps to reduce angle of dolly and car front end. I used 2 by 8 lumber pieces and it works great. When I tighten the straps I do so until I think they will split. Holds tight but I check anytime I stop just for piece of mind. I also carry magnetic auxillary lights just in case the dolly lights quit working. Dolly has electric brakes which has come in handy a few times.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #20

I have found out that a tow dolly is not the way to go too much work and not safe I am over it . I am selling the tow dolly and going to flat tow
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #21

Dolly sold
Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a new Kar-Kaddy 460SS so that I can tow my Mini or my Jetta. Tomorrow will be my first trip and about 300 miles. Last weekend we did hook the Jetta up to try it out and everything went really well. The Demco has steerable wheels and I was pleasantly surprised how well it tracked around tight turns.

I do have a question though. When I did my test run I had the steering unlocked and the transmission in Neutral. Was it necessary to have the steering unlocked and the transmission out of park?

I have a 2004 Jetta automatic with front wheel drive towing with the front wheels off the ground
Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I bought a new Kar-Kaddy 460SS so that I can tow my Mini or my Jetta. Tomorrow will be my first trip and about 300 miles. Last weekend we did hook the Jetta up to try it out and everything went really well. The Demco has steerable wheels and I was pleasantly surprised how well it tracked around tight turns.

I do have a question though. When I did my test run I had the steering unlocked and the transmission in Neutral. Was it necessary to have the steering unlocked and the transmission out of park?

I have a 2004 Jetta automatic with front wheel drive towing with the front wheels off the ground
Hi Don,
When we had a 2006 Jetta and used a dolly-I always had it in park with the steering locked. Sorry to say we don't have the Jetta anymore (TDI diesel-average fuel mileage was between 47-52 mpg) My daughter was driving it one night acouple of months ago and a 18 wheeler lost the rear tandem tires and TOTALED it big time-had three of our grandsons with her and thankfully no one was seriously hurt.

John
Old 09-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #24

Several people have mentioned here to check the straps after driving a short distance. I agree. This is a must. They are almost always loosened a bit. AND, if driving in wet weather, check more often. They tend to stretch even some more when wet.

Caution. After you have tightened wet straps, then driven, say, 300 miles on dry pavement, the straps dry out and can be harder to loosen having been tightened, then dried out and contracted. But, it just takes a little extra effort.

Don
Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocat54 View Post
Hi Don,
When we had a 2006 Jetta and used a dolly-I always had it in park with the steering locked. Sorry to say we don't have the Jetta anymore (TDI diesel-average fuel mileage was between 47-52 mpg) My daughter was driving it one night acouple of months ago and a 18 wheeler lost the rear tandem tires and TOTALED it big time-had three of our grandsons with her and thankfully no one was seriously hurt.

John
Oh my god! Someone was looking out for her and the rest of your family. I'm glad to hear this story has a happier than expected ending.

Thanks for your input on the Jetta
Old 09-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Several people have mentioned here to check the straps after driving a short distance. I agree. This is a must. They are almost always loosened a bit. AND, if driving in wet weather, check more often. They tend to stretch even some more when wet.

Caution. After you have tightened wet straps, then driven, say, 300 miles on dry pavement, the straps dry out and can be harder to loosen having been tightened, then dried out and contracted. But, it just takes a little extra effort.

Don
I took it out for a test run and when I got out to check them the first time, one of the two had come loose. I could actually see a little movement in the rear facing camera.

Thanks for your thoughts.