Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Question Tow Dolly

First timer going RVing. My car is a Volvo C70 with front wheel drive. I'm looking into buying tow dolly with brakes. Is this the best way to take Car with me behind class A? Any advice into how to set car up for towing on dolly? Thanks

Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
It's pretty straight forward using a tow dolly. Just make sure your wheels are all the way forward before strapping them down. And make sure you crank them down really tight as the straps have a tendency to loosen after making a few turns. Also, suggest you check the straps after driving a very short distance, as in just a few miles.

We have used a tow dolly a number of times to pull my Impala.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2!

I towed with a dolly for 10 years and now have moved to towing a Jeep which is much easier if you have a car that you can tow 4 wheels down.

But if you need to tow your Volvo, a dolly is a good choice. I found with the two dollies I owned, the lights woudl stop functioning about a mile from my house. So I bought the magnetic lights that go on the trunk of the towed car. Also carry a spare tire for your dolly because many tire places won't stock the tire you need in a pinch.

Good luck!
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #4

We bought a MasterTow 80HDS (surge brakes). I did not want electric brakes because there is a slight delay and you have to run wiring and buy a brake controller to mount somewhere around the dash. Too much going on there already for me.

We tow my wife's vintage 1999 Buick Riviera which she refuses to give up. It is front wheel drive. We did absolutely nothing to it. Just drive it up on the dolly, put it in park, strap it down real good with the ratchet straps on the front tires, make sure you replace the dolly pin on the tongue, and go. There are weight constraints. Be sure to weigh your toad to be sure the dolly can handle it. I believe the Mastertow has a weight limit of about 4,900 lbs including the dolly which is about 700 lbs., but check it out.

We towed it behind our 42 ft. motorhome this May from San Antonio through Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. No problems at all. You could occasionally feel the surge brake working, but that is a good thing. It tracks well and pretty much turns with the coach. There is a little offset in the turns, but not much. The metal plate where the tires sit actually turns a bit to help the tracking.

Some advised that there would be a problem finding room for the dolly where we camped. We never had an issue with that. Some pull throughs are long enough you never have to un-hook. We had one spot that was a pull-in/back out so we un-hooked there but we were planning on that anyway in Sedona, AZ so we could take day trips. There was ample room to store the dolly.

I have timed the set-up procedure. It takes me about 10-12 minutes to hook up the dolly, pull the car up on it, and strap it down. I have a friend who tows 4 down. It takes him about 5 to 7 minutes.

Don't get me wrong. The first time I did it, it took me 25 minutes to figure out how to get the strap arranged on the first tire and strap it down. The second tire took 3 minutes.

It is a good option for front wheel drive cars. Our choice was $1,500 for a new Mastertow or about $4,700 for an install for four down towing, IF they could have found a base plate for the Riviera. But now, we have the means to tow two of our vehicles. The other one is a Toyota Sienna van, also a front wheel drive. The cost to outfit that one to tow four down was about $5,000.

Good luck with your choice.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club

Thanks fellow RV'ers I already feel at home on this website and I guess for a beginner there are no stupid questions. Just retired from Postal Service after 39 years and looking forward to having my pension direct deposit with a ATM card in my pocket. Hammer Down
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
First timer going RVing. My car is a Volvo C70 with front wheel drive. I'm looking into buying tow dolly with brakes. Is this the best way to take Car with me behind class A? Any advice into how to set car up for towing on dolly? Thanks
i bought a new stehl tow dolly in june 2008. it wore out a set of tires in the first 600 miles of use in july 2010. the dolly has 13'' 8 ply 65 psi tires. (hard to get). i found that it had 3/4" of tow in.
if you are contemplating purchasing a dolly, check the tow in with a measuring tape. if it is off, don't buy it.
it cost me $120 to get the alignment fixed and $150 for a new set of tires. the new tires are wearing ok.
check the thread below this one for info on tow lights.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
I don't use a dolly because I am able to tow with four wheels on the ground; I tow with my D-Brake Professional Tow Brake. But if you can't tow with four wheels on the ground, a tow dolly is your best bet. I never had to use one, so I am no help on the subject, but I have heard they are very easy to use. =)

2007 Tiffin Motorhomes ALLEGRO 35MH
Dragonrover is offline   Reply With Quote