Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #1

Tow dolly and front wheel drive.

If using a tow dolly can I put any front wheel drive vehicle on it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's what works best. Most rear wheel drive vehicles can't be towed unless they're manual transmissions. Some try to tow vehicles with the rear wheels on the dolly but every dolly manufacturer cautions against it.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #3

Sure, if it fits and is within weight limits for the dolly.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #4

I tow dolly my 2010 Ford Escape with front wheel drive. Works great. All wheel drive cars not so much. Have fun!
oilman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

No. You need to check with the manufacturer of the toad. For example, a front wheel drive Prius cannot be towed on a dolly without significant computer issues.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
No. You need to check with the manufacturer of the toad. For example, a front wheel drive Prius cannot be towed on a dolly without significant computer issues.
???? Don't have a Prius but I don't understand why. ????
Old 09-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #7

ellisda1
You incorrect on the Prius. I have an 2008 Prius and we tow it on a dolly all the time with no issues. Just make sure not to engage the parking brake.

It is a front wheel drive car. Just because it is a hybrid, dose not mean you cannot put it on a dolly.

It just cannot be toad 4 wheels down for any length. The rear wheels just follow the car like any front wheel drive.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
x2 on the incorrect info on the Prius. We tow our '10 all the time.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:25 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would check the manual, some of the newer GM's with the electronic steering need the battery disconnected before towing, better safe than sorry
Old 09-19-2015, 01:55 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Wow! This post is all kinda wrong!

I own an ACME EZ-Tow dolly and have pulled several Prius's!! I started with a 2001 1st generation Prius, and have more recently towed a 2010, and a 2015 Plug-in Prius. No problems, issues, or concerns.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #11

Interesting. Both the owner's manual and the Toyota service manager told me that the newer Prius (mine is a 2013) should not be towed on a tow dolly. Doing so would require an expensive service call. I'd check the manual and the service pros for the latest info just to be sure.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Interesting. Both the owner's manual and the Toyota service manager told me that the newer Prius (mine is a 2013) should not be towed on a tow dolly. Doing so would require an expensive service call. I'd check the manual and the service pros for the latest info just to be sure.
Here's a page from FMCA forum that shows a person who dolly tows a 13 Prius. Doesn't mean it's safe, just he claims to do it. If the owners manual specifically says not to do it I'd be concerned. Sometimes what makes it into the owners manual is written by lawyers not engineers.

http://.fmca.com/topic/5961-toyota-prius/

Unless there is some sort of active regenerative braking system or other sensors on the rear wheels, I don't understand what damage dolly towing would do. Maybe the tow angle drops the rear ended down so far they are warning against damage from hitting objects in the road?
Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #13

Need to watch dolly type and which car. For example, some dollies require the steering to not lock where as it may lock when the key is removed. This requires one type solution whereas another dolly might require the steering lock and the car doesn't have a locking steering column. This requires a different solution as well. Some cars may also require 12v charge from the coach to keep the battery charged

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly