Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the magnet lights but instead of placing them on the trunk lid I put them in the back window. No problem so far.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by masijeff View Post
I recently purchased a tow dolly off of Craigslist. My queation is "Do you need to have the towed veichle lights working or are the tow dolly lights OK?
I have an ACME EZ tow dolly and only use the dolly lights. I towed from Maine to Georgia this year and never had a policeman pull me over.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I think its all about preference, I think it looks nice having the Car marker lights on at night. No I meant the car lights not the magnet lights.
Nope I use wax not Zep. Now that I got rid of all the oxidation I wax twice a year and I use detailer in between coats.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am with StevieG on this...Don't use add'l lights on my toad with the dolly.

Have towed with a dolly from VA to CA and every state west of the Rockies...many times.

But recently, a member here on iRV2 expressed that if he was still a patrol officer (retired po-po reportedly) he would cite every dolly tow driving at night without add'l lights for the load (car on the dolly) being past 3 feet beyond the dolly. Can you guess if that member used a dolly or flat towed?

So, I guess that it may be smart to have marker lights on the toad. Of course safe is smart, so add'l lights are a good idea even if they are not required.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's a link from AAA on trailer light laws for various states Trailer Lighting | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

At a quick glance, it appears most states require lights at the rear of the trailer / vehicle. One problem though is that in this link, in many cases they don't make the distinction between trailer and towed vehicle but there might be different laws for each.

(Kentucky has a pretty interesting one that it also requires a green light on the front).

That said, I agree that it's not something that appears to be enforced but if you're ever in an accident and didn't have the proper lighting, you could be in trouble (e.g. if someone runs into the back of your toad and you don't have the proper tail lights, you might be held responsible even if you are the one that was hit).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I have an ACME EZ tow dolly and only use the dolly lights. I towed from Maine to Georgia this year and never had a policeman pull me over.
Likewise, We used our Master Tow dolly this summer from Florida to New Hampshire with the dolly lights only and no issues with LE.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
recently a tv news story showed that someone was involved in a traffic stop for not having a working license plate light on his car...
not being towed.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #22

Tow Dolly and lights

I rented a U-Haul dolly and hauled from Montana to central Texas. There were no surge brakes on the dolly and a 4 way connector supplying stop and turn lights. Wouldn't U-Haul put you at odds with the law if they were giving you equipment that violated the law? As a side note, I never drove at night.

geezerb
geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
Here's a link from AAA on trailer light laws for various states Trailer Lighting | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

At a quick glance, it appears most states require lights at the rear of the trailer / vehicle. One problem though is that in this link, in many cases they don't make the distinction between trailer and towed vehicle but there might be different laws for each.
Be careful with that site linked above. There are serious flaws in it that I have found over the years as has been noted above also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #24

On the 11-7 shift, I would continually look for reasons to stop vehicles including lights not working. The main reason was to ask for permission to look through their car for contraband. (Jacksonville was well known for this) On the other hand, I didn't pull over grandpa driving his class A along the expressway because his towed vehicle on the dolly did not have additional lights. As others have also said, we tow our Accord on our Master Tow dolly without additional lighting.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tow with dolly lights only Demco kar kaddy. Led lights on dolly are very bright. If you look at most trailers you will see the lights are usually on the fenders which are at least 4 feet or more from the rear overhang of the trailer.

Tags
dolly, lights, tow dolly