Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #15

Ohio code says 2,000 lbs empty

I'm new to this and we are looking right now for a dolly to pull our car and trying to decide brake or no brake. I do agree with the comment that it's better to have the brake. However, I've had multiple seasoned RV'ers tell me that they have never had a dolly with a brake and it has never been an issue.

At first after reading hear and checking the BrakeBuddy links above, I figured we would be required to get one with brakes because it said 2,000 lbs, and my car weighs more than that. But after reading the actual code, it is 2,000 lbs 'empty'. So while having the brakes might be safer, it doesn't appear to be illegal, at least in Ohio, to pull your vehicle with a dolly without brakes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #16

I have been down hills with the engine braking and am glad I had dolly brakes. Even had a recent hill where there was a construction crew at the bottom holding up a stop sign. Better believe I was happy the dolly was aiding in stopping the rig.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #17

If your still shopping, why not just get one with brakes ?

It gives you valuable extra stopping power and most will give you the added safety of a break away system. Many states require them.

I'd hate to see my toad rolling by me.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't need them till you need them and if you don't have them then it's too late.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #19

If you tow a vehicle enough, there will come a time when you will be very glad that you had good brakes on that towed dolly/car/trailer OR, you will wish you had listened to all of the advice and had brakes on your dolly or car. That time is coming. Which feeling would you rather have????
Old 09-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Purchasing a tow dolly without brakes is just like purchasing an air cooled motorcycle in 2016, there just is no good engineering reason to do it. Purchase the one with the brakes.
Mrfix
Old 09-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
Purchasing a tow dolly without brakes is just like purchasing an air cooled motorcycle in 2016, there just is no good engineering reason to do it. Purchase the one with the brakes.
Mrfix
Not a really good analogy as there are several good air cooled bikes still made today and not just Harley Davidson. An air cooled bike isn't going to be illegal or a safety hazard just because its air cooled while a doll with no brakes can be both.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
True but most are air/oil cooled.
Mrfix
Old 09-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Don't know who, or what's right here on tow dolly brakes. Information I got from U-Haul on tow dolly's is that no states require brakes on tow dolly's so the ones they rent don't have brakes. If one or more states did require brakes, U-Haul would have brakes on the tow dolly's they rent because the tow dolly's can go to any state to be used. Went to another U-Haul dealer and got the same response. Possibly some states have a weight limit requiring brakes, but no specific law on the tow dolly's itself

Any one have any solid knowledge, or we just getting everyone's best guess opinions?.

Well I was going to test out towing using a U-Haul dolly for awhile. Guess that's out the window!
Old 09-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSBounder View Post
So while having the brakes might be safer, it doesn't appear to be illegal, at least in Ohio, to pull your vehicle with a dolly without brakes.
Problem is that you have to be legal in EVERY state or province you travel in, not just your home state. There is no reciprocity on vehicle equipment unlike insurance and drivers licenses.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've rented and owned dollies without brakes. I recently purchased a used Acme dolly that had a surge brake.

Its nice, it does give some added braking and it also offers a break away feature.

If I was buying new and I can get the brakes for a couple hundred more, yah, I'd opt for the brakes/.

On the other ghand, if its good enough for U-haul, it should be good enough for us...
Old 09-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSBounder View Post
I'm new to this and we are looking right now for a dolly to pull our car and trying to decide brake or no brake. I do agree with the comment that it's better to have the brake. However, I've had multiple seasoned RV'ers tell me that they have never had a dolly with a brake and it has never been an issue.

At first after reading hear and checking the BrakeBuddy links above, I figured we would be required to get one with brakes because it said 2,000 lbs, and my car weighs more than that. But after reading the actual code, it is 2,000 lbs 'empty'. So while having the brakes might be safer, it doesn't appear to be illegal, at least in Ohio, to pull your vehicle with a dolly without brakes.
FWIW I think you will find that you are partly correct. The dolly does not need brakes. Put a 1500 lb car on it and you probably still do not "need" brakes. Put a 2000 lb car on the dolly and you are overloaded. It probably will not come up until you are in a traffic accident when you will have issues with insurance and responsibility for the accident.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #27

Safety is first!!! Yes the cost is more but this is not something to pinch penny's on. Breaks or not should not be a question when your and others safety is in question.

Tags
tow, brakes, tow dolly, brake, dolly