Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Tow dolly choices?

I am changing towed vehicles again and rather than invest in another baseplate I'm on the verge of purchasing a tow dolly. I'll be towing a VW Beetle. I have narrowed the choices to American Car Dolly with EZ Brake and the "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly from ACME Trailer. Both come in under $1500 which is all I am willing to spend. It would cost far less to invest in a baseplate, lighting equip., and tow bar adaptors so $1500 is the limit. I'm looking for owner feedback on these units. From what I can see the EZE Tow does not utilize a pivot yet they claim it is easier to maneuver than the competiton and will not damage the towed vehicle. Any thoughts?

Time4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you pulled with a tow dolly before?

I did for 10 years and now that I flat tow, I would NEVER go back to a tow dolly. I was constantly dealing with:

- damage to the toad from being forced to make tight turns in gas stations (tow dolly fenders hitting into the sides of the minivan)
- lights on the tow dolly that would never work
- finding a place to store the dolly in most campsites (and at home when you're not traveling)
- needing my 'pit crew' of 3 sons to crawl under the toad to hook up the chains
- not being able to back up (not that you can back up with flat towing but you can unhook way eaier if you need to back up).

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Master Tow 80THD dolly. The only problem was a learning issue about cars with a low front cowling. I had to make small ramps that raise the dolly ramps for loading/unloading a car with a low cowling. I used 2 pieces of 2 x 8 pieces 24 inches long. Other than that, I can load/unload the car within minutes. As far as backing up, yes it is impossible unless you onload the car. When I get to a camp ground I normally try to get a pull thru but if I have to back in then I unload the car and then in less than 30 seconds I detach the dolly and roll it back into the site and then back the RV into the site. I have made extremely sharp turns and no marks on the car yet. Basically, because the dolly is very wide. As a matter of fact I have actually gone thru a Taco Bell drive hru for lunch on one trip. I'm quit fine with a tow dolly rather than modifying my car for towing.
Lynda & Ronny Sarasota, Florida
2005 DutchStar DP 3809
Sammy (Brussels Griffon\Maltese)
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had an American Car Dolly which I purchased preowned locally. It performed well and so did the electric brake system. I did have to install a tail light converter on my MH and use a separate flat 4 pin connector to hook up the dolly, not really a big deal, I do most of my own installs. The wheel wells does pivot on this dolly and the ramps are removable. It is well built and tracks nicely. It has grease fittings for the wheel bearings-easy maintenance. I used it for a year and then changed my dinghy which I could tow 4-down. I sold my American Car dolly for actually a little more than what I paid. Maintain it and it keeps its value nicely. I recommend it.
Charles and Edith
2016 Coachmen Pursuit 33BH w/2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2013 Honda Metropolitan NCH50
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Why not get a trailer? You can get a brand new one for the price of a tow-dolly, and their useful for other things as well. You can get a used one for quite abit cheaper then $1500.

You can back up very easily. We've been towing a trailer for over two years and so far have not had any problem regarding stowing it somewhere. I disagree with RVThere's comment about "most campsites." On the contrary in our case it's been the opposite. Most of today's campgrounds & campsites have pull-thru's or are deep enough, or wide enough to keep the trailer within the site.
Bob 2006 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ
US Navy Carrier Battlegroup 1959/1963
Summer in Colorado, Winter Texas Gulf Coast
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
I recently had this same dilemma on what tow dolly to buy as we have a new beetle and can't damage the cowl. I am planning to tow across state lines and didn't want to install a brake controller in the rv. I bought the American Car Dolly and our shakedown trip is this weekend. It appears to be well made and I like the EZ Brake, just hope it all works right. I also had to get a converter for the four prong trailer wire due to the Holiday Rambler Blinker/Tailight issue.
I will let you know how it goes.
This is also our first trip in our new to us 2002 HR Endeavor 40PBT. Got the flooring all done and we are ready to go. Holiday Rambler 40PBT Laminate floor install
2002 Holiday Rambler 40 PBT
Jimmyzw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Great job on your new interior, looks marvelous! I'm anxious to hear how your new dolly performed. I'll be placing my order either Monday or Tuesday based on the comments I've seen to my post.
Time4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
We bought a used Master tow that had a spare tire mounted on top of the tow arm and had to remove cause our Prius has the low cowl as mentioned. It worked out pretty well on the trip we took. I checked into the DMV about brakes, ours does have, but the lady emailed me the page from the law books and since Florida does not require liscense or brakes that other states cannot make you have them it's whats required in you home state. If you need the lights and you have a Harbour freight close by I recommend checking out their prices compared to other places.

1997 Beaver Monterey
Jim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Tow Dolly Users

Hello everyone, I wanted to share a very important issue that I feel you all need to know who tow a car with a tow dolly.

I purchased a brand new Mater Tow Dolly Dolly Model 77T. The person that I purchased it from DID NOT tell me the dos and don'ts with a tow dolly. I never towed a car on a tow dolly before. All he showed me was how to connect and disconnect the dolly and the car. NEVER once told me that this tow dolly could cause a great deal of damage to your car.

I hook up my master tow dolly to my motor home. I placed my BRAND NEW 2013 Mazda 2 with "90 miles on it" on the tow dolly. I began to drive away and had to make a sharp left hand turn. Guess what, the left fender of the tow dolly connected with the drivers door and rocker panel of my brand new car causing $1,009.00 in damages!!!

I did not know nor was I told that this dolly will SWIVEL. I was sick and needless to say it ruined by 10 day vacation. Car goes in the shop on Monday to be repainted with less than 240 miles on it.

The master tow dolly was sold after using it one time and I did inform her new owner about making turns and the damage it will do.

I looked on line for over a week every day looking for a tow dolly that did not swivel. I found one. I located a tow dolly from the assembly plant in North Carolina called the "EZE TOW". Check it out on line and watch their video, I was so impressed by the video and the fact that it states it is nearly impossible to damage your car with this tow dolly that I BOUGHT ONE!

The EZE Tow was delivered to my home in a wooden crate. It took me more time to unload it than it did to put the fenders and light on it. It cost the same as the master tow BUT DOES NOT SWIVEL!! It is all welded frame. I cannot wait to use it next month. Please do your home work when shopping for a tow dolly. Unfortunately for me I did not and it was a very expensive lesson for me and my brand new car!!

I am in no way affiliated with EZE Tow Company and just wanted to share my expensive damage story to hopefully not hear that you did the same thing I did.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. When you look at the mater tow dolly wheels and fender, compare it to the EZE Tow dolly wheel and fender and you will see a major difference as to why my car received that damage.

Good luck to you in your dolly purchase, and please it only takes 10 minutes to watch a free video on their web site.
58will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
Most tow dollies have a swivel pan. Saves wear and tear on the steering parts. The EZE Tow is the exception. Just because you had a bad experience, don't condemn all the others.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
I just bought and have now towed with the ACME Eze Tow. There is no way to make contact between the dolly and the car unless it is way off center. Even then it might not hit. Appreciate you warning others of your experience, but this is a phenomena that won't occur with the ACME Eze Tow as I am sure you now realize since you have also purchased one as well.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Demco KarKattySS, First one bought and first time use. Sure paid a lot, almost as much as the vintage MH but I can't see skimping. Fender and wheels of KarKatty turn with the vehicle so the fenders can't hit the sides of our toad, a 1999 Deville concours Plus the tongue folds almost in 1/2 so I can store behind MH in CG, Surge breaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	70112  
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
Tow Dolly Choices

We upgraded to the ACME EZ-Tow dolly with hydraulic surge brakes several years ago and have towed our Pontiac Torrent on it for about 8 thousand miles now. We have made some very sharp turns and quick stops and the dolly performs just as it should. Since our Torrent is not towable 4-down, this is the way to go for us. Very pleased with the EZ-Tow.
loreeb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
I have had both...Had a Master Tow 80 w/surge breaks - worked well - no issues - low front-ends required a little care but not biggy. I currently pull my 2006 Honda Civic. The car is getting a little long in the tooth and will probably be replaced next year.

I really don't want to be forced in getting a car I don't want just to be able to tow...I will most likely go back to a Tow Dolly. Would then sell my my tow bar and brakes to help recoup some of the cost back.

The one thing that I didn't like about the Tow Master is having to crawl under the car to replace or pull the breakdown pin. That is a major pain in the you know what.

Considering the KarKaddy SS w/surge brakes. It stows away more compact and appears to solve the crawling under the car problem as the breakdown pin is in front of the vehicle when loaded.

Mickey Alberto
2016 Georgetown XL 350TS
Sour Lake, Texas
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote