Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Tow dolly excessive sway.

Last week I bought a used (2005) Demco KarKaddy 460 SS. Seller said it swayed "a little bit" when empty but no sway with car on it (BS). While towing home I could not drive over 30 mph because it swayed back and forth violently. It jerked my 1985 Ford pick up left to right and that ain't no light weight truck.

The bolt and pin in the tongue folding point are not tight. They are a little more than 1/8" out of round. Is this enough slack to cause the sway?

All else seems to be OK. Toe in is right at 1/8".

Anyone else experience this with a KarKaddy?

SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #2

sounds like whatever is causing the sway is also causing the fold joint to beat itself out. You'll probably have to drill out the hole and weld in hardened bushings. There must be something else not quite right - slop in the steering mechanism, bearings, etc. What is the toe and camber when loaded?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Was the towing pin in place? If not that would allow the dolly to wander.

There should not be any play in the drawbar pivot, there isn't on ours. I almost have to drive the pin in our out. That would also cause problems.

I bought a locally made dolly some years ago, it would shake you all over the road unless loaded, once loaded it was OK. Found that the alignment was off when not loaded. Sold it to a friend and got the KK-460.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Don't sway no more. Called Demco. Nice folks and very helpful. I cannot afford the parts for the repair so had to figure it out myself.

Shortened story. The problem was excessive side to side movement of the coupler at the tongue. I manufactured and installed a set of custom shims. 65 mph. Straight like arrow. I'm a Happy Camper now. Now to find some teflon stock to replace the steel parts I made for the test.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly