RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Tow Dolly extra light for towed vehicle

I have a tow dolly which connects to my class A rv. I pull a 2014 Kia Sportage. The tow dolly has turn signal, break light on the fenders. However, I want to know if anyone has installed extra turn signal and break lights to the back of the towed vehicle for extra precaution.
If so, can it be connected to the wiring on the tow dolly? Since, the tow dolly dolly is already connected to the RV plug. or is there is double plug that can be use?
I hope I made sense. Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.

PURALIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I used a dolly I wired the vehicle lights into the dolly wiring harness just because I wanted to. Used a 4 prong plug and spliced it into the dolly wiring and then made a jumper to the vehicle

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #3

They make a double 4 pin flat plug adaptor to do what you want to do.. You will need to uses diodes in your car wiring, like 4 down towers do, so that all of the lights don't come on thru back feeding.

They also make wired and wireless magnetic lights. They may come with the adaptor.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

I have the ACME EZE-Tow. I wired in a 2nd plug to the dolly wiring and I use magnetic lights on the back of the car on the dolly so both the dolly lights and the magnetic lights come on.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
I have the ACME EZE-Tow. I wired in a 2nd plug to the dolly wiring and I use magnetic lights on the back of the car on the dolly so both the dolly lights and the magnetic lights come on.

^^^ what Audi and twin said, using the dbl. connector and the magnetic tow lights, itís less work and you donít have to worry about your toads wiring system.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #6

I use this: NEW SUN 4 Way Flat Splitter 4 Pin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6LRQK5...p_mob_ap_share

And this: LED Magnetic Tow Lights, S.T.T.,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XNJ7QEI...p_mob_ap_share
Old 10-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #7

What the others have said about mag lights. The only thing I would add is that no matter how careful, eventually the mag lights seemed to slightly scratch my trunk lid. I solved it by putting some of the "hook" side of the Velcro pads on the bases of my mag lights and then put them on the carpeted deck behind the rear seat inside the rear window. Yeah, ok, not on the actual rear of the towed, but close enough for me (I almost never drive after dark anyways) and still in the face of a driver behind me.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
NXR

I do something similar. Instead of putting my magnetic lights on the trunk I put them behind the rear seat headrests and secure them to each headrest with a short bungee cord. That also keeps less of the wiring from beating on the car and damaging the paint.

Ray
Old 10-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:

Ditto

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I do something similar. Instead of putting my magnetic lights on the trunk I put them behind the rear seat headrests and secure them to each headrest with a short bungee cord. That also keeps less of the wiring from beating on the car and damaging the paint.

Ray

To keep the wires from beating the paint, I use blue painters tape to keep the wires in place and where it exits the hood to the dolly to keep it off the paint on the front.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
NXR

Quote:
To keep the wires from beating the paint, I use blue painters tape to keep the wires in place and where it exits the hood to the dolly to keep it off the paint on the front.
Really? And no issues with that tape coming off (excepting in rain possibly)? As thin as that stuff is I wouldn't think it would hold. I'll have to give it a try.

Right now, after scuffing the paint from not securing the wires on the first trip, I run the wires from the back seat out the driver's door seal just above the mirror. I always tug on the wire to assure it can slide.

Then I open the hood (which I scuffed) and lay the wiring under the hood and exit the hood between the driver side headlight and the latch. Thw wiring haness is held in place by the hood gasket so it's not coming through the grill openings or anything like that.

Then the wiring goes straight down to the dolly where I put the wire under a bungee cord and then it goes across the dolly and under another bungee cord over to the wiring splitter. (a "Y") The bungees give the wiring harness plenty of slack to move in case of a tight turn. The bungees also hold the wiring harness down to keep it from being blown around.

I wrap a rag around the wiring multiple times where it goes under the hood to protect the paint on the "A" pillar and also where it exits the hood going downward. There's less than 4" of exposed paint at each point now so the rags probably are not needed because the wiring is taught enough that it can't really move around. The rags are partially under the front and rear hood gasket to hold them in place.

The attached picture shows the two bungee cords that I run the magnetic light wiring harness under. I also added a $30 pivoting wheel from Tractor Supply to help move the Acme EZE Tow Dolly around. When the wheel is down the hitch it too high to lower on the ball but only by a few inches.

Lift the dolly handle slightly to take the pressure off the wheel pin, the wheel assembly folds backwards and then place the coupler on the hitch.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolly.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	264793  
Old 10-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Really? And no issues with that tape coming off (excepting in rain possibly)? As thin as that stuff is I wouldn't think it would hold. I'll have to give it a try.<snip>

Ray

Mine car is a hatchback so I run the wires along the rain gutter on the roof - taped in 3 places with about a 2 inch piece of tape. It then runs down the edge of the windshield into the engine compartment and exits under the edge of the hood. I wrap the wire with a piece of tape at that point to keep it off the paint. I leave a little slack but as the distance from the plug to the car doesn't change not much slack is needed and I just tuck the extra wire under the hood off to the side.

Tags
dolly, light, tow, tow dolly, towed