Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the Demco KK-460. It's our second dolly and by far the best. Folds up for easy storage too.
Surge brakes.
Breakaway.
Sealed bearings.
Galvanized.
Both tongue and ramps fold.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
The acme tow dolley is probably the cheapest tow dolly on the market.
Thank you Sir!,

Yes!! For it's capabilites, the Acme EZE-Tow IS the least expensive dolly on the market!!!
Amazingly, at ONLY $1,600 (Brand New) with all required equipment, it is the ONLY mass produced dolly that has Disc/Surge Brakes, and includes sealed hubs, LED taillights, and powder coating!!

It also can carry the W-I-D-E-S-T vehicle of any mass produced dolly at 80" between the fenders and can carry vehicles weighing as much as 4,985lb!!

And, being ONLY 405lb it is SO easy to move around with just one person!! One EZE-Tow owner (on this forum) just leans it up against the wall in his garage!!!

We love our EZE-Tow dolly's!!! The BEST DOLLY in the U.S. - by far!

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #17

Yes I do.....

Bet you can't do that with a 615lb Demco KK-460...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolly.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	25654  
Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have a dolly but I noticed scarab0088 said it only weighs 405Lb.

How much do the heavy ones weigh?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I don't have a dolly but I noticed scarab0088 said it only weighs 405Lb.

How much do the heavy ones weigh?
Great question!

The ones with a fixed tray and steering axles weight just over 600lb - the ones with the swivel pan can be as heavy at 800lb

The EZE-Tow is seriously light because it has none of the extra parts that other companies say are needed and even the ramps and fenders are lightweight poly. It's all welded steel and the only moving parts are the hitch, tires, wheels and brakes, so has natural strength.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't image rolling a 600 or 800lb trailer around at a campground.

Think I'll stay with the four down concept.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #21

I guess I had these preconceived notions about towing a vehicle 4 down being the best method. The more I read about the Acme EZE dolly, the more I like the idea. Having to buy a tow bar, brackets for a specific model car, a supplemental braking system and possibly a special lube pump seems like a major PITA!

My only concern about the dolly method is stabilty under severe braking situations, so my question is directed toward those who have experience with dollies. Has anyone had the toad start to slide to one side or the other?

It seems the surge brakes will serve to slow the dolly, but inertia will pushed the towed vehicle forward relative to the dolly.

No one plans on having to brake suddenly (especially in a MH), but I have already had a few crazies try to race ahead of me on Interstate entrance ramps. If the tow dolly satisfies the legal requirements and gives you the flexibilty to change toads easily, why would you choose any other method?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glrtex View Post
I guess I had these preconceived notions about towing a vehicle 4 down being the best method. The more I read about the Acme EZE dolly, the more I like the idea. Having to buy a tow bar, brackets for a specific model car, a supplemental braking system and possibly a special lube pump seems like a major PITA!

My only concern about the dolly method is stabilty under severe braking situations, so my question is directed toward those who have experience with dollies. Has anyone had the toad start to slide to one side or the other?

It seems the surge brakes will serve to slow the dolly, but inertia will pushed the towed vehicle forward relative to the dolly.

No one plans on having to brake suddenly (especially in a MH), but I have already had a few crazies try to race ahead of me on Interstate entrance ramps. If the tow dolly satisfies the legal requirements and gives you the flexibilty to change toads easily, why would you choose any other method?
More accurate and truthful words have rarely been written. But beware...there are these odd things that have been called "RV Religions" and the Flat-tow vs. Dolly-tow arguement is one of them. It's like the original Frankenstein's Monster movie...the villagers might be coming with their torches

But back to the topic...sudden braking with a dolly...
I have had to "test" my brakes 2 times with a dolly while towing my small SUV (Ford Escape) thanks to L.A. traffic (yes, that is the BIG TIME!). Anyone can complain about their traffic - but come to L.A, at rush hour and you will see some of the craziest driving you have ever seen!!

To put things into perspective, I have a 37' Class "A" Toyhauler (engine in front) on a Workhorse W24 (24,000lb GVWR) chassis w/ ABS and disc brakes on all 4 corners!:

The first time was not a real emergency stop - but it was abrupt. I was towing the SUV with a U-haul rental (no brakes) and while there was some bobbing and weaving, the weight of the toad just seemed to push straight into the rear-end of the coach.

The second time was with my EZE-Tow (surge/disc brakes). The RV's ABS had to kick-in, making some funny noises (but it worked). The toad stayed in the rear and thankfully did not get out of line.

BTW, both of these events were caused by tiny cars cutting across traffic, then slamming on their brakes right in front of us! I have watched both of these events on my rear cam (always turned-on in heavy traffic) and have been pleasently surprised both times (knock wood).

The U-Haul dolly has a swivel pan, so I was really lucky. The EZE-Tow has a very low and wide frame helping to keep everything from going bad. And I tow an SUV, so a regular car would handle even better
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Yes I do.....

Bet you can't do that with a 615lb Demco KK-460...

Don't need to. Mine will fit in that area without hanging it on the wall.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #24

The main complaints against dollies are having to have a place to store it both at home and on the road and relative ease of hooking up a 4 down combination as opposed to loading and unloading the toad on a dolly.

While the one you're looking at is smaller and lighter than most it also takes up quite a bit of space compared to a tow bar. The downside of that dolly is it takes some assembly and disassembly everytime you load or unload it.

A search on tow dollies will bring up a number of complaints about the amount of time it takes to load a dolly and the probability of getting wet and muddy if you have to go through the process in foul weather. The one you have chosen is probably the most basic one on the market. It'll do the job but lacks many of the features of the more expensive models. Many of the features lacking on this unit are the ones that speed loading and upoading and minimize the probability of getting dirty.

As I mentioned earlier we use a Roadmaster 2000-1 when towing our Buick. It takes about the same amount of time to load it as it does to hook up the jeep for towing 4 down. Also it doesn't require you to get under it to remove, install, or store the ramps, the straps are tensioned by a built in set of ratchets, and everything can be stored in built in locking compartments. Also without a swivel pan or steerable wheels the key must remain in the ignition (sometimes in the on position) on many model cars. If yours happens to be one of those models it will also require you to disconnect the battery to keep it from going dead. After a while you may find the time consuming process of loading and unloading gets old.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The main complaints against dollies are having to have a place to store it both at home and on the road and relative ease of hooking up a 4 down combination as opposed to loading and unloading the toad on a dolly.
The OP didn't ask for a comparison with 4-down, just some info on dollys.

While the one you're looking at is smaller and lighter than most it also takes up quite a bit of space compared to a tow bar. Show me any dolly that is smaller than a tow bar... The downside of that dolly is it takes some assembly and disassembly everytime you load or unload it. My dolly takes no more or no less effort than your dolly, you have obviously never watched anyone load or unload an ACME.

A search on tow dollies will bring up a number of complaints about the amount of time it takes to load a dolly and the probability of getting wet and muddy if you have to go through the process in foul weather. And yet you use a dolly, why is that? The one you have chosen is probably the most basic one on the market. It'll do the job but lacks many of the features of the more expensive models. And yet it still does the same job! Many of the features lacking on this unit are the ones that speed loading and upoading and minimize the probability of getting dirty. Please point out the differences, we both drive it up on the dolly and strap it down.

As I mentioned earlier we use a Roadmaster 2000-1 when towing our Buick. It takes about the same amount of time to load it as it does to hook up the jeep for towing 4 down. Also it doesn't require you to get under it to remove, install, or store the ramps, Why would you crawl under to place or remove the ramps, you set them down and then you pick them up, no getting under or crawling. the straps are tensioned by a built in set of ratchets Same with mine., and everything can be stored in built in locking compartments Just added weight.. Also without a swivel pan or steerable wheels the key must remain in the ignition (sometimes in the on position) on many model cars. If yours happens to be one of those models it will also require you to disconnect the battery to keep it from going dead. I have never had the battery go dead. After a while you may find the time consuming process of loading and unloading gets old. But not as old as only having one car you can take with you, and paying the price of a dolly each time you move the equipment to a different car.
You tow one vehicle 4-down and one on a dolly, why not both 4-down if a
dolly is such a problem?

And the debate goes on........

Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
You tow one vehicle 4-down and one on a dolly, why not both 4-down if a
dolly is such a problem?

And the debate goes on........

I didn't say we had a problem. Both ways work fine for us. What I did say is those who have problems with dollies site long hookup time and getting dirty as issues. The easier the system is to use the fewer the problems and the fewer the complaints.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased a Stehl Master tow 80" dolly in Thomasville NC for $899. It's a great dolly and has served us well. I can load the car and tie it down in 10 min. Also, if your car is rear wheel drive you can load it on the dolly backwards and avoid disconnecting the drive shaft.

Check it out on Equipment Trader:

2012 STEHL TOW DOLLY for sale in Thomasville, North Carolina - EquipmentTraderOnline.com
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
We purchased a Stehl Master tow 80" dolly in Thomasville NC for $899. It's a great dolly and has served us well. I can load the car and tie it down in 10 min. Also, if your car is rear wheel drive you can load it on the dolly backwards and avoid disconnecting the drive shaft.

Check it out on Equipment Trader:

2012 STEHL TOW DOLLY for sale in Thomasville, North Carolina - EquipmentTraderOnline.com
Vito.a, THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!
I have often questioned how a conventional (rear wheel drive) car would tow on a dolly.

Please expound (like, did you lock the steering and if so, how?).

Thanks again

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
dolly