Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You tow one vehicle 4-down and one on a dolly, why not both 4-down if a
dolly is such a problem?
After years of towing 4 down, the car we now have (2010 Hyundai Elantra with auto trans) must be on a dolly or trailer. Remco site recommends dolly only. Next week we take our 1st trip using our "new to us" Demco KK460SS.

This is not a feature of the dolly but before we leave, I plan on installing a trailer hitch on the toad. Figured if something happened to the MH where it couldn't be driven, I'd be able to get the dolly to a secure location.

Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
... I plan on installing a trailer hitch on the toad. Figured if something happened to the MH where it couldn't be driven, I'd be able to get the dolly to a secure location.
That is a smart idea. We did the same thing...it makes it very easy to take the dolly where you want without worrying about moving the RV

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Vito.a, THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!
I have often questioned how a conventional (rear wheel drive) car would tow on a dolly.

Please expound (like, did you lock the steering and if so, how?).

Thanks again
I don't tow backwards very often but when I have to I lock the steering wheel with the ign. and wrap the seat belt around it a couple of times and latch it. I will say that If there is any play in the steering the vehicle will wonder a bit but its never been a problem.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedicttw View Post
Ok we have made the decision on tow dolly vs four wheels down. We are going the dolly route for several different reasons.
Now I have questions on the features that are available on tow dollys. I would like to get opinions on these features (pros and cons)
electric brakes
Good, however all tow vehicles must have controller
surge brakes
IMHO, Better because you can tow with any vehicle
easy lub hubs vs sealed hubs
No problem either way, for me.
pivoting vs non pivoting platform
I choose steering wheels because they work. Simply, my car tracks my motorhome MUCH better with the steering wheels than without.
any other features I should be looking for.
You might want to consider used. I found a killer deal on a used 460SS. I often do State parks where space is limited and I can fold my dolly up and squeeze it in almost anywhere. At home it sits behind my MH and takes up all of 3 feet.
Thanks
I'm glad other people like their choice in a tow dolly. It seems to be a Ford/Chevy issue around here for some people. Mine works for me and I'm really happy with it. If I had found a killer deal on SOB I might really like that one. That being said... I like the steering wheels!! It's nice not having to worry about the toad in those tight winding lanes in smaller State parks... or around Costco!!

Good Luck!!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Vito.a, THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!
I have often questioned how a conventional (rear wheel drive) car would tow on a dolly.

Please expound (like, did you lock the steering and if so, how?).

Thanks again
Yes, the steering locks when you turn the ignition off and remove the key. It is important to get the steering tires facing straight forward. If they are cocked, the car will tow at an angle. It also helps to get the dolly straight (most dollys pivot as the tow vehicle turns) before loading.

An easy way to do all this is to pull the dolly up next to a straight curb or sidewalk and continue straight for a short length. This aligns everything straight. Then back the car onto the dolly straight, lock the ignition, and strap the car down. If the straps are new, they tend to stretch, so stop after the first 15 min and retighten them.

The nice thing about a dolly is you can actually have a choice in what car you tow. With a tow bar, the car needs to be modified and if you ever trade or sell it, you must start over.

The downside to a dolly is you cannot back up. Most have a surge brake or pivot mechanism that does not back up well.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post

I'm glad other people like their choice in a tow dolly. It seems to be a Ford/Chevy issue around here for some people. Mine works for me and I'm really happy with it. If I had found a killer deal on SOB I might really like that one. That being said... I like the steering wheels!! It's nice not having to worry about the toad in those tight winding lanes in smaller State parks... or around Costco!!

Good Luck!!
Any reason to get surge vs electric brakes other than having to set up the electronics?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsolar View Post
Any reason to get surge vs electric brakes other than having to set up the electronics?

Yes...surge brakes are infinitly adjustable based on the weight of the load on the dolly.
There is no need to adjust the system from loaded to unloaded...it does it automatically.
And when unloaded the brakes still keep the dolly behind the RV - even in a panic stop.

With surge brakes:
There is no risk of an accidental lock-up that is possible with electric brakes while working out adjustment.
There is no risk of lost braking from a wire short in the system.
There is no risk of lost braking from dropping the pigtail between RV and dolly.

I have electric brake controllers in my RV and pick-up from previous trailers, bur much prefer surge brakes for the reasons above.

For backing, most surge brake set-ups have some type of a lock-out. You can back-up a loaded dolly. It is not easy, but can be done. When you get stuck, it's worth a try, vs. just giving up and unloading.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #36

Electronic control

Thanks. Got a lot of red flags from Winnebago on surge brakes and advised not to use them with the View (2006 H). Getting the American Car Dolly as it is about 100 pounds lighter than the Master Tow, has electric brakes and steerable wheels. Has a optional external electronic brake controller that is on the trailer with battery, shut off switch and water proof box called the EZ brake control.
EZ Brakes | American Car Dolly
Not sure if this is a good idea or not. Haven't used one. It is another battery to maintain. Might be better to get this:
Dodge Sprinter Brake Controller - 2006 | etrailer.com
and wire the switch into the RV (Sprinter 3500)
Chris

Quote:

Yes...surge brakes are infinitly adjustable based on the weight of the load on the dolly.
There is no need to adjust the system from loaded to unloaded...it does it automatically.
And when unloaded the brakes still keep the dolly behind the RV - even in a panic stop.

With surge brakes:
There is no risk of an accidental lock-up that is possible with electric brakes while working out adjustment.
There is no risk of lost braking from a wire short in the system.
There is no risk of lost braking from dropping the pigtail between RV and dolly.

I have electric brake controllers in my RV and pick-up from previous trailers, bur much prefer surge brakes for the reasons above.

For backing, most surge brake set-ups have some type of a lock-out. You can back-up a loaded dolly. It is not easy, but can be done. When you get stuck, it's worth a try, vs. just giving up and unloading.

Safe travels
Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow months on this, JMO here. I have a KarKAtty SS and pull a 99 Cadillac concours on it. I have had to lock them up once and I felt nothing from the toad no sway, no push, smooth stopping, and I didn't rear end the SOB either.
We really like it. Unfortunately because of a bad back I am selling it. I carried a pair of coveralls for when I climb under the caddie to hook the safety chains on. The 454 in my MH had no problems pulling either.(32yrs old) Good luck on your decision.
Travel Safe
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Wow months on this, JMO here. I have a KarKAtty SS and pull a 99 Cadillac concours on it. I have had to lock them up once and I felt nothing from the toad no sway, no push, smooth stopping, and I didn't rear end the SOB either.
We really like it. Unfortunately because of a bad back I am selling it. I carried a pair of coveralls for when I climb under the caddie to hook the safety chains on. The 454 in my MH had no problems pulling either.(32yrs old) Good luck on your decision.
Travel Safe
Tim
Tim,

Demco's website says the Kar Kaddy SS (a VERY NICE dolly) has surge brakes as standard equipment - is that so?

This would back-up the perks of using surge brakes and your story mirrors exactly what I have experienced with surge brakes (boat trailer and dolly). I have no idea why Winnebago would red flag surge brakes...that's like saying flat towing with inertia brakes is bad

Sorry about the pain you feel chaining-up the toad. We have always just hooked the safety chain from the front of the dolly's tray to the toad's front shipping hoop(s) that are just under the front bumper - no need to get dirty.

Best luck selling the Demco. They are excellent dolly's and should command a good price used.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As far as I know it is standard equipment. The only place I could find to hook the safety chains was just behind the motor almost directly above the chains on the frame, just wrapped them around the frame and locked the links. Maybe 2 minutes to do and 10 minutes to get back up... I tell ya going without the toad will be different, in alot of ways.
Thanks,Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #40

Thanks for all the good input. I calked WGO and they have told me twice that the surge brake should be OK if used properly as in not extending the hitch lower than 4 inches. I am leaning towards the Kar Kaddy 3 as it has so many nice features. There is a lot here that like the EZ Tow, but 10 inch wheels plastic Rhino Ramps and no steering are not features I care for. Any one have experience with the KK 3? Chris
Old 12-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Thanks for all the good input. I calked WGO and they have told me twice that the surge brake should be OK if used properly as in not extending the hitch lower than 4 inches. I am leaning towards the Kar Kaddy 3 as it has so many nice features. There is a lot here that like the EZ Tow, but 10 inch wheels plastic Rhino Ramps and no steering are not features I care for. Any one have experience with the KK 3? Chris
I'm surprised the Winnebago people gave you this advice. It's contrary to what they have written in the View owners manual. Here's a quote from page 12-3 of the 2012 View owners manual:

We do not recommend the usage of a “surgestyle”
braking device. The usage of a surge brake
(especially when coupled with a hitch ball
located outside our recommended limits) places
excessive stress on the hitch. This abuse of the
ball mount and the hitch may cause premature
hitch assembly failure.

They may be rethinking their previously cautious statement, but I would ask for it in writing if someone is contradicting the published guidelines.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #42
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Any one have experience with the KK 3? Chris
Yep, we've been using a Demco for almost twenty years now with no problems at all. This year we sold off our old dolly and bought the new KKIII. Took a couple trips with it and it worked great.

What Winnebago is worried about is if the hitch is too high, then there is the danger with sudden stops of the receptacle slipping up and off the ball. You need the hitch to be level with the dolly height.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly