Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Tow Dolly for 5,000 lb front wheel drive van?

I have a 15,000lb hitch on my DP and I would like to pull a Ram Promaster van which weighs about 5,000lbs on a tow dolly. I can't seem to find any car dollys that have a rating much higher than 4,700 gross vehicle weight.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a heavy duty tow dolly?

The other issue is the van is 82.7 inches wide. Most dollys can only accommodate 80 inches.

Thoughts?
TedTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #2

I actually would like to find a tow dolly with at least 5,000 lb axles and that has a rating of at least 7,500 gross.

The DP is 102 inches wide. So I figure I should be able to find something that can fit the van plus the dolly tires and still be under 102. Maybe I am wrong though.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Attached is a download of a brochure for a Master Tow dolly. You will note the 80THD has an overall width of 102". You may want to use the dimensions on the brochure to see if your Promaster will fit. The dolly's GVWR may need to be increased if possible. At least it's a starting point.

Fran
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Master Tow Dolly Brochure.pdf (1.63 MB, 326 views)
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #4

I see your by me is 82 a hugeness measurement I pulled my 2007 4 door truck on a dolly with brakes now I do 4 down let me know bought mine in Pleasantville
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try F.D.R. - Tandem Trailer Tow Dollies: Heavy Duty Extra Large
They will probably make what you want.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #6

Thanks Everyone!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

I didn't have any luck finding a trailer that would accommodate the RAM promaster. When I did find something that would support the weight, it didn't support the width of the vehicle.

I also looked into driveline disconnects and I couldn't get anything on short notice for a Nissan NV or sprinter.

I eventually gave up an purchased a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X. Not quite a van but it should be a lot more fun!!!

If anyone figures out a working van solution, please let me know. I will likely start looking again later in 2015.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I haul a 4800 lb Kia Sedona and use a Automatic dolly that i bought with a 66 inch turn table. I added 8 inches to the table (outside measurement of 102 inches) and put on hydraulic surge brakes and have had no problems since.
Consider that you are only towing the front end because the rear wheels are on the ground.

Tags
dolly, tow dolly