Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

Tow Dolly from American Car Dolly??

Hi, we've just purchased a "new to us" 2000 Harney Renegade, Class A MH, and need a tow dolly for a 2000 FWD Toyota Solara. I am considering an American Car Dolly which purports to be the best on the market for the price, $1395, plus an additional $120 to install an EZ external break controller. Their web site is americancardolly.com. I would appreciate any comments or information regarding this dolly before we make our decision. Thanks.

Jim & Carol Hurst
Saint George, Utah

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks okay. The straps won't last long, they only have one loop over. That set came with my dolly, they only lasted a year. I bought an upgraded strap set with three cross overs, no problems since.
Second, it has electric drum bakes. I like mine, disc surge breaks, don't have to worry about electric controller going out.
On the plus side, the price seems good.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great experience with mine

We acquired an American Car Dolly late 2014. Have run it several thousand miles and about 6 trips so far. I bought it with the brake package and spare tire. Its is well built and of a heavier steel than others I have observed. Its stout yet light and easy to move around and use. It slides up under the MH easily when not in use and I can move it around by myself with little effort.

We've got to the point we can load it in about 10 minutes pretty easily. I've had trailers with surge brakes and they are good but I like this adjustable gain electric set up the best- and I didn't have to install a controller at the dash saving me a small fortune. Its quite a brilliant set up.

I have found no fault with this dolly at all and am totally pleased with the set up and construction.

I added a breakaway battery and switch myself for peace of mind and as we will be towing to Alaska from GA in a few months and some states/provinces require the breakaway. Cost about $30 and 15 minutes to install.

Gary was so helpful and easy to work with-- and delivery was included in the price.Having that one on one contact with the manufacturer was so valuable to me.

Note if you have a heavier or larger vehicle they do have an upgraded strap available. So far we have had not problems for the past 6-8 months with the single strap-- its worked fine on our Focus and they show no wear and tear.
Americanrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great question, I am looking at getting one within the next 6 weeks, the only down side I see is the drum brakes but I can live with that. I am still looking for more reviews good or bad, I was set on the acme dolly but the steering wheel on my wife's jette locks and I don't want to leave a key in it to keep the wheel unlocked. I really don't see any other options out there in this price range with removable ramps and electric breaks.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just put another 500 miles on mine (American Car Dolly) this week- 500 next 3 days. I am tickled pink with it! Can't think of anything I would change on it.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ordered mine today for my trip next month, can't wait to get it so we can take a toad with us finally.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I ordered mine today for my trip next month, can't wait to get it so we can take a toad with us finally.
I'm close to ordering, when will you get it?
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
I'm close to ordering, when will you get it?
When I talked to Gary today, he said I could get it the week of the 15th in June.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #9

American car dolly

Thanks for all the great input American Car Dolly. I have ordered one from Gary and look forward to him delivering it in a few weeks. I decided on the upgraded straps although they may be unnecessary.
Hope to see you on the road~
Old 05-08-2015, 02:13 AM   #10

I have had mine since 2007, no problems that I didn't create, I broke both lights off the fenders by turning too tight with my full size Pick-up. I replaced them with lower profile lights and hav had no further issues....
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went ahead, bought and used one of the heavier duty double straps yesterday as I always want to carry a spare strap. Worked very well. I did not have to retighten it at all even though I checked at 3 stops on a 250 mile run. I had to retighten the single strap only once.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just ordered one a few minutes ago, with EZ brake and upgraded straps. Gary seems like a rare breed that cares about his product and customers.
Sounds like a few weeks depending on how many deliveries he has enroute...I'm in lower Michigan.
TnT612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I agree they make the best I have seen for what I wanted in a dolly. I had one on order but they are so far backed up that they weren't able to deliver to me in time but I am in Ohio and they needed a good load of them to bring across the country to deliver. I ended up buying a used Stehl. They called and couple of weeks later and said they would be there with mine the next week if I still needed it. :(

I think it is an excellent well made dolly. Nothing against the other manufactures of dollys but it had all the preferences I wanted.

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly