Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Towing 4 down is the easiest and best way. No question about it.
X10

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weight and size of dolly are only downsides we experienced when using a Master Tow. I guess that after several years there would be additional maintenance issues like tires, brakes etc. Where to store the dolly at campground and who to help me move it up hill if necessary. That being said, issues were resolved each trip. Tow four down now and like it a little better but kind of wished we'd saved the money invested in four down gear. Extra convenience wasn't worth it to me. If I had kept the dolly, I would have put a hitch on the toad to spot the dolly at the campground and home as needed.

2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #17

I like 4 down the best. Please don't be misled by claims that you can back up a dolly. You can only back up a dolly a few feet generally before it cocks and does damage... General rule " you can only back a trailer".

Randy W

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
...Please don't be misled by claims that you can back up a dolly. You can only back up a dolly a few feet generally before it cocks and does damage... General rule " you can only back a trailer".

Randy W
This is not factual. I have backed my RV pulling an SUV on a dolly 3 times with no issues (surge brake lock-out installed) - my record is just over 100'.

Last time we had to do it, the RV was trapped by a delivery truck while we had stopped for fuel. The truck pulled in the station's apron and the driver went inside the mini-mart. His truck was blocking egress for 4 fuel aisles.

I waited for over 15 minutes but the driver never came out of the mini-mart. So, with the Dear Navigator guiding, I went straight back (that is the key - must be almost straight) in the path where I entered, until I could make a clear turn to clear the pump islands.

By using the back-up camera to watch for any turn in the toad and it can be done.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
This is not factual. I have backed my RV pulling an SUV on a dolly 3 times with no issues (surge brake lock-out installed) - my record is just over 100'.

Last time we had to do it, the RV was trapped by a delivery truck while we had stopped for fuel. The truck pulled in the station's apron and the driver went inside the mini-mart. His truck was blocking egress for 4 fuel aisles.

I waited for over 15 minutes but the driver never came out of the mini-mart. So, with the Dear Navigator guiding, I went straight back (that is the key - must be almost straight) in the path where I entered, until I could make a clear turn to clear the pump islands.

By using the back-up camera to watch for any turn in the toad and it can be done.

Safe travels

I stand corrected then... Let me just say I CAN'T DO IT and I'm generally good at backing trailers. I would still rather be pulling a 4 down towed.

Randy W

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #20

I have a car that can be flat towed. I elected and recently purchased the ACME EZE Tow dolly for a few reasons. First, the tow plate installation in my car required a major hack job of the front cooling baffles for installation. The front grill also had to be cut off at the ends. The plate bolts to crushable structure, potentially altering its effectiveness in a collision. I also had to run the car each morning and at each stop and installed a fuse bypass or pull the ignition fuse.

The dolly allows me to leave the car unmolested. Keeps the drive wheels up off the ground with no miles on the tranny. I can also buy another front drive car and use the same dolly. The EZE Tow is light and easily moved. For me it seemed to make the most sense.

However, someone else with my setup might have elected to tow the car four down.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitntee View Post
I am new to RVing and wanted to know what I should go with. I am looking to buy 2015 Leprechaun w/a ford f450, Class C. I need to buy a vehicle in either case. Looking at weight, safety and convenience. What vehicles are some of you towing and which method. Can I even pull a vehicle with this RV?
As previously pointed out, you must look at your tow rating of your hitch (weight/tongue weight), GCWR and your actual GVW (after you weigh your coach).

Then you will know your safety limitations.

There are many vehicles you may tow on a dolly or 4 down. 4 down are probably a few less vehicle options, but there are plenty of options. This should not be a factor unless you do not currently have a vehicle for either option or as of the result of your hitch or weight available to tow.

Many advantages of 4 down and dolly, but also many disadvantages.

If you only want to tow 1 car all the time and you hold onto your toad for a reasonably long time, than 4 down will work very good. 4 down is more expensive to set up initially, but it is slightly more convenient from my personal experience than a dolly, but you are restricted to this vehicle or odds are you will have additional expenses associated with changing vehicles. These costs will vary depending on the various vehicles you may change. I used 4 down method for 8 years, not exclusively but was one of my options.

If you have different needs to tow various vehicles, than a dolly may be a good option. There is disadvantage of towing with a dolly, from my experience the biggest one was securing the safety chains from the dolly to the vehicle in inclement weather, it was manageable, but an inconvenience. But this allowed the most flexibility and minimal additional costs associated with changing vehicles for changing the wiring of the lights as long as you have brakes on the dolly. I never experienced an inconvenience of not having my dolly at my site without the park offering to move it to their storage area. I used a dolly for 4 years.

I would recommend after determining what your limitations for towing are to seek additional input if you desire, you may find your options are limited once you determine your weight and towing capacity.

Otherwise, I would recommend you research this site and speak with others who have done both. When I first started, I used Enterprise when I needed a car and they would bring the car to me, not the best option, but it worked until I figured out what my needs/desires would be. Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Our MH (used) came set up to tow 4 down. After completing our vacation this year and using taxis and public transit, we decided we needed to have a vehicle along for future trips. We have a 2006 Equinox with very few miles on it, that we wanted to use as our toad. This Equinox cannot be towed 4 down and so we opted for dolly towing rather than the expense of buying another vehicle. I was able to find a used ( not abused ) Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly which has electric brakes. I have ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller which can be mounted on the dolly rather than having to install a controller inside the coach. This setup should provide us with what we require.
Racked Vespa GTS
gr8damarcles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #23

Think about the extra 500-600lb of weight from a tow dolly. The 'E' version V-10 is about maxed out with a loaded 31' MH.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We tow 4-down and I have on a few occasions backed up which a situation required it. The secret, as others have stated, is SLOW, STRAIGHT and keep your eye on the rear monitor. About 25-35 ft is my max.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #25

I have 2 Jeeps and tow 4-down....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Think about the extra 500-600lb of weight from a tow dolly. The 'E' version V-10 is about maxed out with a loaded 31' MH.
What is an "E" Version V10? Inquiring minds want to know.

The 26,000GVWR Ford F53's w/ 362HP, 3 valve Triton V10 are in most every RV maker's gas Class A line, including those over 39 feet - and they are rated to tow 5K.

And, dolly's CAN weigh over 500lb, but those are a minority...that is A LOT of STEEL for just towing a small car or SUV.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
What is an "E" Version V10? Inquiring minds want to know.

The 26,000GVWR Ford F53's w/ 362HP, 3 valve Triton V10 are in most every RV maker's gas Class A line, including those over 39 feet - and they are rated to tow 5K.

And, dolly's CAN weigh over 500lb, but those are a minority...that is A LOT of STEEL for just towing a small car or SUV.

Safe travels
The E V-10 version is put in most Class C's like the OP says he wants. It is a lesser power version v-10 with 2 valves per cylinder not 3. 305 hp versus 362 hp, 420 tq. versus 457 tq.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with a Dolly primarily so I would not need to "hack up" a late model car adding base plates and brakes and the cost involved. A dolly can be a bother if your stopping site is not a pull through but I was willing to deal with that. I have a hitch on my Toad if I need to move the dolly all that much. Total weight is 3105# that is 405# for the Acme EZ tow dolly with a very good intergal brake system, and 2700# for my Toad. Cost for a complete Acme dolly is currently $1300 plus freight. If I trade cars or decide to pull the wife's convertible zero cost.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly