Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #29
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
The E V-10 version is put in most Class C's like the OP says he wants. It is a lesser power version v-10 with 2 valves per cylinder not 3. 305 hp versus 362 hp, 420 tq. versus 457 tq.
Thanks for the clarification.

So, that made me wonder - a E450 cab/chassis based Class C that can't tow a car - REALLY?

Well, according to the maker's spec's it can tow very well...all 2015 E450 Coachman Leprechaun models have a GVWR of 14,500lb and a GCWR of 22,000lb. So as long as the receiver is a Class III or higher there's 7,500lb of towing capacity - as long as the owner doesn't exceed GVWR, of course:
Specifications - Leprechaun - Coachmen RV

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

So, that made me wonder - a E450 cab/chassis based Class C that can't tow a car - REALLY?

Well, according to the maker's spec's it can tow very well...all 2015 E450 Coachman Leprechaun models have a GVWR of 14,500lb and a GCWR of 22,000lb. So as long as the receiver is a Class III or higher there's 7,500lb of towing capacity - as long as the owner doesn't exceed GVWR, of course:
Specifications - Leprechaun - Coachmen RV

Safe travels
Not sure who said the E 450 can't tow a car.? It will have a harder time towing that's for sure.
I tow a 3100lb car with my tuned F version V-10....I wouldn't want any less power for sure!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #31

I tow with a 230hp 454. Can even pass some big rigs ....WooHooo!!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #32

We Tow 4 on the Ground

The Saturn we had for 10 years was a great tow vehicle until we had to drive it. A real back killer. Too late, we heard the same thing from many Saturn owners. Currently have a Toyota Yaris, stick shift. Much more comfortable but not as roomy as towing a small SUV. Also a real bother in any stop & go traffic we run into. Our knees got older before we did :-) We've been talking to a lot of RVers who tow a Honda CRV and love it. I think that will be our next one unless there's something better by the time we're ready.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClouderMoms View Post
The Saturn we had for 10 years was a great tow vehicle until we had to drive it. A real back killer. Too late, we heard the same thing from many Saturn owners. Currently have a Toyota Yaris, stick shift. Much more comfortable but not as roomy as towing a small SUV. Also a real bother in any stop & go traffic we run into. Our knees got older before we did :-) We've been talking to a lot of RVers who tow a Honda CRV and love it. I think that will be our next one unless there's something better by the time we're ready.
Don't overlook the KIA Soul, very easy to get in and out with its high roof, and roomy 5 passenger interior.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing with a dolly adds the weight of the dolly to the consist (Towed and towing vehicles) this may cause your towed to exceed a gasser's limit. Then when you get to the campground you have to do something with the dolly. Plus when traveling you slam on the brakes only the dolly's wheels help stop you (it has breaks) the rear wheels (or non-drive wheels no matter which they are) on the towed do not assist in the stop.

Towing 4-Down with a proper aux-braking system on the towed gives you ALL WHEEL BREAKING, (Fastest stopping shortest distance) it also is way easier to hook up if your tow bars are the telescoping type.

You can be off center or not in direct alignment when you hook up and it will self correct when you start to move.

If you get the kind of tow bar that stows ON the rv, it is very nice indeed. Given my choice, only way to tow.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:04 PM   #35

Definitely get that motorhome weighed once it is loaded up. Class C motorhomes seems to be right at the max limit of weight and leaves not a lot of room for towing. Plus the longer chassis have welded on frame rails that will reduce the towing capacity. I would definitely double check to see what the rated hitch weight limits are.

I personally like towing on a dolly. I switch out cars on a pretty regular basis and this allows me to drive pretty much what I want and take it with me on trips. It does not take me long to load up my car on the dolly so convenience of loading and unloading is a real non issue for me. However a person with limited mobility should lean towards 4 down because to the best of my knowledge there is no kneeling down involved. I also refuse to drive an Jeep product and I do not wish to add access holes (most vehicles will need them) for the 4 down equipment. Before buying a toad my recommendation would be to first weigh the coach and check the hitch weight. Even if you have a floor model to weigh add 1000lbs to the sticker for a safe calculation. Then you can decide what direction that would work best for you on a toad.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow Dolly or 4 wheels down your opinions

Since new to RVing, we bought a 2009 jeep wrangler to tow. I know these can be towed 4 wheels down and it weighs 3800lbs, there is a lot of retrofit required to add the towing package versus a tow dolly. What are your thoughts on best way to go. We have the 2014 Thor ACE 27.1
Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone will have their own opinion of the best way to tow, and everyone is right for their own reasons. Maybe the best way to decide which way to tow would be to go to a large RV park and watch people as they come in and prepare to camp and also those who will be preparing to leave, watch people with tow bars and people with a dolly. Only you can really decide what is the best way to tow for you.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly