Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
Thank you each and everyone of you who took the time to help me down this rocky road. And a Merry Christmas to all.
So the drama is over with, as I went and picked up my Xmas present today...I brought back a KarKaddy SS...Thanks again with much gratitude for all the suggestions and wise advice
The Toads
CONGRATS! The KarKaddy SS is built like a tank...very strong and capable!

Like everyone before has said, check your straps after a few miles and turns - or at least just before you jump on the freeway. Nylon straps will stretch.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Ted for the advice on the spare tire. The Demco web site also has spare tires and holders for about $270 + shipping. There are a couple of RV and off road stores that I can look into. But none the less a spare tire is a much.
Dean

TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #17

Questions about the Acme Tow Dolly

We recently purchased the Acme Tow Dolly and had an unfortunate accident with it.
We are towing a 2013 Ford C-max Energi because of the ability to not have a dead battery when you get to your destination. If you tow this car 4 down you have to install a charge line along with everything else so that is why we opted for a dolly.
We were trying to put the car on the dolly and the ramps were wet from fog (we were in Oregon)and the car got as far as the top of the ramp and the wheels started spinning. You can probably guess what happened next. The car slipped to the right running the side of the front bumper into the metal sides of the dolly. It caused $1600.worth of damage to the car. It is being repaired as we speak. My husband has since modified the dolly by putting wooden bumpers on the side rails of the dolly so if it hits that part again it might not take a bite of the car. Also, he put some rubber tire material on the top part of the ramp decreasing the slope where the car started spinning its wheels. Hopefully this will help when putting the car up there. If you have any other tips and tricks about using this dolly it would be greatly appreciated.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Scarab0088;1840096]Over 90% of motorhome RVer's flat-tow? I'd like to see the source of that info...

I don't know the poster's source either, but I do know that when I'm at a campground or any place where alot of motorhomes are gathered I see alot more toads and tow bars than I do dollies. And most of the towed vehicles I see on the road are 4 down. 90% vs 10%? I really don't know, but alot more toads than dollies. Maybe someone can start a survey and ask what people are using and tally the votes on this forum? It would be very interesting to see the results. But whatever the results are, it still comes down to what each person likes and is most comfortable with, no matter what anybody else is doing.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinreddin View Post
We recently purchased the Acme Tow Dolly and had an unfortunate accident with it...It caused $1600 worth of damage to the car... If you have any other tips and tricks about using this dolly it would be greatly appreciated.
Do not feel that you are alone with spinning tires on the dolly ramps...every dolly can have this risk, especially the ones with metal ramps.

After spinning out on our EZE-Tow ramps (on a small SUV with A/T tires = no lack of traction) I found that the best attack it to practice rolling up on the dolly/ramps in 1 continuous movement:

This is just my technique:
1. Start with the cars tires tight against the bottom of the ramps - check for alignment and position.

2. Back-up about 2-3 feet without turning the steering.

3. Using both feet (left foot covering the brake - right foot on the accelerator)...

4. Lightly press on the accelerator to roll forward in a smooth but quick manner...and do not stop on the ramps!

5. When you feel the car pass over the top bump on the ramps, release the accelerator and smoothly brake as the tires come to rest against the front fence rail of the dolly.

6. Set the parking brake and exit the car to check your position...after a few tries it will work the first time - everytime.

If not - "Rather, Rinse, Repeat" if needed.

Be VERY CAUTIOUS to not use too much throttle...because if you hop over the front fence rail, the car will be stuck on the dolly.

My horror story is even more owner error than spinning tires...I left 1 of the 2 safety chains hooked-on while unloading. As the car left the dolly, the chain pulled the dolly to the side and into the front fascia. The dolly fender mount impacted the car and scratched a 3-4" gouge into the fascia.

Take your time and practice loading and unloading before a trip...it is time well spent.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dean, I put a Class 1 hitch on my little toad making it real handy to be able to unload the toad at a convenient place then tow the dolly with the car to the camp site. I usually walk back to get the car/dolly when I'm done setting up camp. It was about $100 to install (4 bolt DIY project - car and hitch is pre-drilled).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #21

Great idea about hooking the dolly to the toad. I already have a class 1 hitch on my car so that would be really easy to do. Thanks for that.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Tow dolly's suck, plain and simple. Totaled my car and dolly first trip.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velroc View Post
This appears to be an emotional statement, void of any facts. Very sorry about the authors pain...any details would be welcome for others to learn from

Here's some facts about flat towing a car...
-Base plates, mounted in the engineered crumple zone of a car (besides being counter to the design of the bumper and crumple zone) have broken welds while moving causing loss of control of the car...there are recent post on iRV2 about this.
-Supplimental Braking Systems have malfunctioned causing brake loss and/or total lock-up of the cars brakes...this might leave a driver stranded without roadside assistance...again, details were posted here.
-Because of the high cost of Supplimental Braking Systems, some who flat tow do without brakes...I personally know 2 who do this.
-The primary reason cars cannot be flat towed is mechanical damage risk in the cars driveline from extended periods of being spun in opposite direction to designed use...and all flat towed vehicles suffer wear and tear in the driveline, even when the practice does not cause a total breakdown.

You don't have to be a mechanical engineer to understand these shortfalls.
But, the best part about RVing is that we are all free to decide what to do. I pick dolly towing and my car is happy with that.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #24

Quote:
I absolutely love mine. I can purchase pretty much any car/suv I want and put it on the dolly. I could care less about 4x4 or AWD so that is not even a factor for me. One time purchase price and have used it with 3 of the vehicles I have owned. No scratchs, dents, dings, etc.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I also have a KARKATTYSS Love it. I know you don't need the car's lights but it looks nice seeing the cars lights operating.
I "think" it depends on how much of the car hangs off the KarKatty if you need the lights Here is our set up, yes I rolled the awnings up before we left.
Merry Christmas & A happy New Year, & Happy Travels in 2014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883_1.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	994.7 KB
ID:	51964  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Sounds like User Error.

The dolly can only be as good as the operator.

Ted.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Best tow dolly, wheels steer, not fenders and follows my coach perfectly. Super strong and ramp tilts for easy loading. Overall length is about the same as towing all four wheels down.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
Best tow dolly, wheels steer, not fenders and follows my coach perfectly. Super strong and ramp tilts for easy loading. Overall length is about the same as towing all four wheels down.
I am sure it is a fine Dolly, Glad your statisfied but, Best is a bit of a STRETCH.

Best is Not determined by owner ship.

Best is determined by Quality of Materials and components, Workmanship, Features, ease of use, ease of Storage.

Best of Luck with it.

Ted.

Tags
toad, dolly