Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by windsolar View Post
I am towing a VW TDI automatic and need to get a Tow Dolly as I can't do 4 down with the VW (might be wrong on that). I am looking at the Demco Kar Kaddy 3 as the weight is in limits for my 2006 winnebago View (3500 pounds). I am confused on the specs on the Demco web site:

Total towed vehicle weight - 4,700 lbs.
GVWR (unit weight plus max. carrying capacity) - 3,500 lbs.

Isn't the GVWR the dolly plus car weight? If I can tow a 4700 pound car with a KK 3 that weighs 520 pounds would that not mean the GVWR is 5220 pounds and not 3500?
I just looked at the KarKaddy3's web listing and agree, it's confusing.
... I see it says the total towed vehicle weight is 4,700lb...that's the total linear max weight that can be pulled on the hitch (total of car's weight and the dolly).
The 3,500lb is max weight that the axle can carry (GVWR or the dolly and front of the car).
From here:
Kar Kaddy 3 | Demco Products

At 520lb it's heavier than my EZ-Tow (405lb empty / GVWR 5390lb)
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
But still has disc surge brakes and the extra weight is in the steering axle. Still a very nice dolly

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #44
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I read the 3500 lbs as the weight on the dolly. I would think that's about 60% of the total weight of the vehicle being towed, 5000 lbs. would be the total weight of the vehicle. I went the dolly route because my cars can't be towed all 4 down, I can use the dolly for multiple vehicles and this model tracks like 4-down with the steerable wheels and it has a handle for easy handling with on 50 lbs tongue weight.

2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DFT-tag
Maxxforce 10 RR10R
Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #45
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Go the the Remco web site and see if they make a lube pump four your car. All may not be lost. Many cars not approved for 4 down stock can be towed 4 down with the addition of a lube pump.
Worth a try.
By the time you get the car equipped for 4 wheel towing and add the lube pump it is way more expensive than a tow dolly.

Using a tow dolly really isn't that hard people.
2006 Essex
Theluckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #46
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The dolly stores easy. I cannot see why you cannot keep it with your motorhome. I don't keep my motorhome at home so it is at a storage facility and it just sits behind it. Most of it will go under the coach for a smaller foot print(less than 6'). At the camp grounds it is also a non issue. My coach being 36' long, I have never had an issue for room with a dolly and car. Granted a tow bar is less room, however the cost is much, much greater for a 4 down set up. But to each their own and we all have options that work well for each.
A 4 down towing setup doesn't have to be any more expensive than a dolly. We originally purchased a Roadmaster dolly to tow our Buick. After about 5 years of towing it to campgrounds and parking it while we rented a Jeep (for off roading) we decided to buy a Wrangler 4x4.

I was originally going to tow it using the dolly. However after reading the manual I found it could only be towed 4 down or on a trailer. The cost of the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar, base plates, and braking system were actually a couple hundred dollars less than the cost of the dolly.

Personally I have no trouble using either setup. Sometimes the vehicle you tow dictates the type of towing gear you use.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #47

Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
I really messed up including missing the boat. I PRESUMED and did not read the manual that my 2001 Ford Escape 4x4 was towable because it is not in full FWD. It has a electronic switch that changes if from 2 to 4WD. But the manual says NO CAN DO> Now my options are put the 2008 Prius on a dolly, which brings up the question of lights and brakes OR go find a stick shift something or other or something with a transfer case. Since my wife is now not talking ( and I thought the 25* weather outside was cold today ) I am not sure what is the best way to go. Thanks The Lonely Toad
Any chance you could trade the old Escape on a newer Escape Hybrid? I understand with the hybrid, it uses
a different transmission, and they ARE flat towable.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #48

The OP bought a dolly 3 days ago folks! :-)
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The OP bought a dolly 3 days ago folks! :-)
True, but this thread may still be valuable to others considering their towing options.

Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote

toad, dolly