Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
I'm trying to decide which to use. The car we have can't be flat towed(Lincoln MKZ). So would it be better/easier to use a tow dolly or trailer. I've seen those dolly that can also carry other things, like a motorcycle or golf cart. But if I get an enclosed trailer what size would be best for a car and some storage??
Do campgrounds allow enclosed trailers??
We are planning for our retirement and trying to get our ducks in a row before we make the plunge into fulltiming. Thanks for your help!!

injunear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Chazz,
Welcome to iRV2. There are a bunch of variables an potential restrictions on what you're considering. Can you post your coach specs (coach CGVWR, engine, transmission, hitch towing limits, etc.).

Do you think you'll be touring (a few nights here and there) or staying in one place for a month or so before moving on the to next destination?

Will you be carrying the other items mentioned in your OP (Golf cart, motorcycle, etc.)? What other items will you be carrying?

Being able to visualize the total environment will help provide some excellent recommendations.

If towing an enclosed trailer, you'll need to have reservations at CGs/resorts that allow the trailer. Some CGs require the trailer be placed in their storage area. CGs and the trailer should not be a problem. Your just need to know their process. There are plenty of places to stay for you to choose from.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #3

There are significant disadvantages in using a tow dolley or a trailer..... You have extra weight to pull, affecting your GCVWR (amount of weight your MH can tow + it's weight fully loaded). You also have a storage problem when you get to a campground, plus increased length of your motorhome/towed combination.

I would suggest considering a toad which is towable 4-down, not requiring a tow dolly or trailer. There are a lot of vehicles to choose from, small and large. MH Magazine publishes lists of cars capable of being towed 4-down, which you can find on their website.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have the front wheel drive you can dolly tow or use a trailer. If the AWD it is a trailer or leave it home.

The trailer is the least convenient but gives the best protection (if enclosed) and weighs the most and hardest to store at the campground. And you can back a trailer.

If I had to, I'd probably choose the dolly because it is the least difficult to tuck away somewhere at a campground. But what I would really do is swap the MKZ for an MKX so I could tow it 4-down.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Chazz, well once again I find myself swimming against the tide. All that has been said is true to a certain extent. I tow a 20' enclosed trailer behind our 40' diesel pusher. as to campgrounds I call ahead and tell what we have-if they can handle us so beit-if they can't make another phone call. Other than Lazy Days in Seffner, FL I have never once had to disconnect the trailer in a campground. State patrks, National parks and COE can be a problem; but, we have made out fine at many State Parks in IL. Yes, you have another set of axles and tires to maintain; however, the treade off is there is less wear and tear on the toad. With a little practice backing ip any distance even around curves is pretty easy. The toad arrives as loaded with zip scratches, knicks, etc.You load it dirty it arrives dirty!

Other drivers have better visibility with the ytrailer and I am very appreciative of full time electric brakes that resp[ond exactly as the coach does, i.e. light brake, hard brake, etc.

I towed 4 down for almost 5 years and we are now 4 and 1/2 years with the trailer which is pour towing method of choice, Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote