Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tow dolly or trans pump/4 wheels down

I have to use my Chrysler Town & Country van as my toad and am asking for input as to using a tow dolly or a transmission pump etc.
Thanks.
Chuck
chucklesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

Since it is 4front wheel drive you could go with the tow dolly. They are easy to use and inexpensive to keep up. If you plan on going to a rear wheel drive later the trans pump would be an option on 2 wheel drive. Best option is show up at an RV center and get prices
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesg View Post
I have to use my Chrysler Town & Country van as my toad and am asking for input as to using a tow dolly or a transmission pump etc.
Thanks.
Chuck
We took our 2008 Town & Country on a 10,000 plus mile tour of the US early this year on a Acme EZE Tow Dolly. I would not do it again as it appeared to have over loaded the EZE Tow Dolly (May not have the same problems with others, but I don't know), but I will for short trips in the future and switch to my PT Cruiser for the longer trips. Versitilly is why I went with a Tow Dolly, if I only wanted or could tow one car, I believe I would have chosen to go 4 down.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And that's the brand of dolly I was considering!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
And that's the brand of dolly I was considering!
And, you would be well served with the Eze-Tow. Ted had a problem because his Town and County was strapped down by a poorly designed tie-down that was discontinued...nothing he did wrong. See;
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/acme-...ly-120083.html

Towing 4 down would be much easier, so if you can afford it, that's the way to go.

But if the cost of the tow bar, backing plate, toad brakes, lighting for the toad and tranny pump is too much, then a dolly is the way to go.

Also, I picked a dolly because I swap toad's.

Good luck with your search.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are going to get a tow dolly get a good one not a cheap one. The tow dolly ind. has a lot of choices like Demco and Master Tow and others. Look around and make an educated choice. I have seen many Easytow dollys but I wouldn't own one but thats my personal choice. I have a Demco 460SS that IMO is the best one on the market but it is also the most expensive.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks.
Chuck
The tow dolly will give you more options on tow vehicles. Buying the pump, base plate for that toad,tow bar, braking system, and light could cost you some bucks. Then you are stuck with that toad only. With a dolly you can tow any front wheel drive vehicle. Just get a good tow dolly. It does take a little longer to hook up and when you park for a while you might have to find a place to park it. Most camp grounds you should be okay. I bought one called tadem tow from race city. I can tow a car and it has a platform were i can put my motorcycle or a golf cart on it. Good luck in what ever you but and safe travels.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the lead on Tandem Tow. A neat but pricey option. As I also ride a Victory bike, thinking about getting a golf cart too, all I would need would be a way to haul my horse ...and I would have all my transportation in one place!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the lead on Tandem Tow. A neat but pricey option. As I also ride a Victory bike, thinking about getting a golf cart too, all I would need would be a way to haul my horse ...and I would have all my transportation in one place!
Then you want an enclosed trailer with a side door to load the Bike and Smart Car, and the Horse from the rear ramp... Got you covered, but the Town & County takes on a new look.... and meaning

Tags
dolly