Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

Tow Dolly Owners

Currently, we don't have any RV and are still deciding what type of RV we want, but we have had two Class As and we used a Blue Ox Tow Bar and it worked well. However, there aren't many good choices anymore that can be flat towed. Our last towed was a Jeep Cherokee which was a good vehicle except for the occasional wobble when towing.

I like the additional options that are available in front wheel drive cars.

I would like to hear from current Tow Dolly owners and what brand you have and are you satisfied with it? Anything I should be concerned with in a Tow Dolly?

I have seen YouTube videos on how to hook up the vehicle and they make it seem fairly easy as long as you follow the particular model instruction.

I know it wouldn't be quite as easy as a tow bar, but I am ok with the trade off of having a better selection of vehicles and I am still physically capable of moving the dolly around.

Look forward to the comments.

Thanks in advance!

John
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Master tow with surge brakes, upgraded to basket straps . No problems created by the tow dolly. I tow a Focus, Malibu or Avalanche
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I flat tow a Saturn Vue, but also tow dolly my Camry with an Acme Dolly.

• No swivel plate.
  • loading / unloading is reasonably easy
  • removable ramps
  • It has surge brakes
  • Don't tighten the straps to much.
  • make sure the dolly to car safety chains have enough slack in them to allow the car to move on the dolly
  • On my version the ramps can pop off when loading unloading so use caution or install latches on the ramps to keep them from popping off
  • Very good support from the Acme people
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #4

I have a Stehl tow dolly which worked fairly well on a trip from NJ to ND and Colorado last year. Two complaints the unit was put together in a manner that caused the wires to the lights to contact the wheels causing a short and loading the vehicle requires laying on the ground to connect the safety chains. This is no fun in the rain

Flat towing is so much easier.
newport61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Acme EZE Tow Dolly with Hydraulic Disc Brakes.
Carrollsclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #6

We tow a ford escape with a master tow / surge brakes. Very easy on and off.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #7

I tow a Ford Edge on a used 2008 Kar Kaddy SS with drum surge brakes. I did away with the chains & use straps through the wheels. Upgraded the straps that hold the tires as my Edge has 20" rims.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

Stehl Tow dolly. No problems with lights. Surge brakes, disk brake pads under half warn with 25,000 miles towing a Kia Soul. 14" tires still look great.

Fixed ramps. I don't need to crawl under to attach or worry about falling off while loading. The ramps have never contacted the underside of tow car. Some say they could.

Put a shopping cart type caster wheel near hitch. Wife and I each push a fender to move around like a tricycle. Still fits under rear of MH.

Threw out safety chains. I clamped vinyl coated, steel cable to the whinch bar and push a looped end thru wheel openings and use spring latch hooks bolted to old safety chain holes.

Have never kneeled or crawled under it.

Each fender has a small crack, not worried about them yet.

Can send pictures if wanted.

Master Tow about the same dolly. They have plastic fenders.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #9

Acme EZE Tow Dolly with Hydraulic Disc Brakes. Towing a Kia Sorento. Just finished 1800 miles from Denver to Seattle and back. No problems.
COACE30.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought a KK-460 some years ago to tow our '05 Honda Odyssey. Worked very well even with the Ody loaded with our show sales inventory.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #11

Ford Escape with a Stehl Tow electric brakes. I rewired the dolly because the mice wintered in the tubes and chewed everything up. Put the wires on the outside of the tubes so no more mouse problems.

My version of twinboat safety cable. Start with a 15 ft heavy duty cable because I needed an eye and several feet of cable for each side. 6 ft cable was too short when cut in half. That cable is tough on hacksaw blades but a snap with a cutoff wheel. The same idea will probably work on other dolly brands.

The one thing worth considering is whether or not to get a self steering system. If you have a locked steering column you are better off with a pan or some kind of axle steering or you need to unlock the column while towing so the vehicle can pivot a bit in relation to the tow vehicle.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Kar Kaddy 460. Surge brakes. Basket straps. Towing a Buick Rendezvous FWD. Can load or unload in 5 minutes. I don't even know it's behind me whether using my motorhome or my F150.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

Great responses. Thanks everyone.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get LED lighting. Filament lamps fail quickly when lit and you run over rough roads. One of my only complaints with my Master Tow (w/ surge brakes). I also had to upgrade the straps for our Solara's tire/rim size.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly