Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tow dolly owners beware

Not only should you watch the date on the tires on your RV, you should also watch the born on date on your dolly tires. Found out that mine were 10yrs old, and while towing I had one of them started coming apart.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just part of good maintenance.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Thank you for sharing.I keep a close watch on mine.I inspect them every time I hook the tow dolly up.Happy Holidays.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
Not only should you watch the date on the tires on your RV, you should also watch the born on date on your dolly tires. Found out that mine were 10yrs old, and while towing I had one of them started coming apart.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Funny you should mention aging out. Earlier this year we sold a friend our Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly. I warned him that the tires were new in 2005 and strongly suggested he see a dealer for some new ones.

I talked to him earlier this week and the subject of the dolly came up. I asked if he had replaced the tires. His response was NO. He had taken it to 2 different tire dealers with the intent of buying new tires. When the dealers inspected the tires they both advised he keep the ones he had

Both dealers had numerous problems with the new ones they had sold. One dealer had so many problems with defective trailer tires he was considering discontinuing selling them.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Funny you should mention aging out. Earlier this year we sold a friend our Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly. I warned him that the tires were new in 2005 and strongly suggested he see a dealer for some new ones.

I talked to him earlier this week and the subject of the dolly came up. I asked if he had replaced the tires. His response was NO. He had taken it to 2 different tire dealers with the intent of buying new tires. When the dealers inspected the tires they both advised he keep the ones he had

Both dealers had numerous problems with the new ones they had sold. One dealer had so many problems with defective trailer tires he was considering discontinuing selling them.
I feel for the tire dealers, customers come in and want the cheapest priced tires, and then when they get them, they get just that the cheapest made tires on earth.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #6

I wondered why you would put trailer tires on your tow dolly, we have regular car tires on our Demco and they are 4 yrs old and still look brand new-The weight of the ford Focus on the dolly shouldn't be much more than the weight of 1/2
the car- I am confused -Now the the Demco tow steers as it corners maybe others don't steer so it wears the tires & at 5 year old tires should be changed anyhow-Rich
Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
at 5 year old tires should be changed anyhow-Rich
Not one tire manufacturer states that. Most do say that they should be inspected starting at five years and absolutely replaced at 10. We easily went 8 years on our last set of Michelins.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:32 AM   #8

Tow Dolly Tires

I just replaced the tires on my KarKaddy tow dolly.
I put car tires on it that have more than enough weight rating to handle the weight on the dolly and the weight that our Prius puts on the dolly.
Need to weigh it to be sure.
I purchased the KarKaddy used and the old tires were pretty old, they still had lots of tread, and the side walls were cracking.
I loaded the Prius and weighed the dolly, then I went and got new tires.
I would not put trailer tires on anything I tow from what I see happening with the trailer tires sold.

These tires should last a while.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly