Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Heating man's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 238
I have one of those acme tow dollys and I don't like it much. I don't like the separate ramps because I was loading the car and I was almost to the top and it flipped out and the car fell to the ground it was not very high so it did not hurt the car but I did not like what happened. After that I strapped the ramps to the dolly with 2 ratchet straps. I don't know if all dolly are that way but with that acme the straps are constantly loosening and so you are checking the straps all the time. Also the wheels are not restained side to side and the car will move sideways on the dolly during bumps. I hated this tow dolly so much I bought a car that I could be flat towed and I am much happier. With the tow bar I don't have to crawl under to put on the safety chains like I did with that tow dolly.
__________________

__________________
Heating man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Dmk960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pgh, PA
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man
I have one of those acme tow dollys and I don't like it much. I don't like the separate ramps because I was loading the car and I was almost to the top and it flipped out and the car fell to the ground it was not very high so it did not hurt the car but I did not like what happened. After that I strapped the ramps to the dolly with 2 ratchet straps. I don't know if all dolly are that way but with that acme the straps are constantly loosening and so you are checking the straps all the time. Also the wheels are not restained side to side and the car will move sideways on the dolly during bumps. I hated this tow dolly so much I bought a car that I could be flat towed and I am much happier. With the tow bar I don't have to crawl under to put on the safety chains like I did with that tow dolly.
Great info! For me any way... I thank you for you candor. I would be highly upset if I experienced your story, however i wont purchase the acme model!
__________________

__________________
Dmk960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
I have the Acme EZE Tow Dolly and would recommend it. I have used one rented from U-Haul and did not like it (I don't know MFG). Ramps do not connect to the Acme, they just get placed in position for each use. I like to carry mine in the compartment with my shorepower cable rather then on the dolly and they take 15 seconds to put down & pick up.

As for the surge brakes, they work fine and they do have a breakaway lock if you take the time to connect it. There is a cable from the master cylinder that locks the brakes in case the dolly comes loose from the RV.

Here is a photo I just went out and took of mine and you can see the cable as well as the safety chains.
U-Haul dollies are made by Demco, or at least the one's I've seen and rented are. Also, they all seem to have brakes.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
That is one fancy dolly. I love the steering axle...means no pivot pan...means less weight .
MSRP for the 460SS is just under $3800...do the disc brarkes increase that price?
Even if it does, it's worth it becuse you can check brake wear and disc condition without any disassembly
We paid around $2,200 in 2007 shipped to my work. Had to assembly it in a show storm while residents came and went! Truck couldn't deliver it to the back as there was no room for that size truck.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #33
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk960 View Post
Great info! For me any way... I thank you for you candor. I would be highly upset if I experienced your story, however i wont purchase the acme model!
Why all the hating on Acme? It's the least expensive and most evolved dolly on the market, lightest weight, with no pivot pan (ala' Demco), and currently the only dolly with surge disc brakes.

I find it odd that so many take the time to trash these dolly's when they are actually very good.

BTW, IMO the post that was replied to above Dmk960 was obviously a "really wanted to flat tow" user...Driving over the ramps and shooting them out and complaining when web strap stretches?

Back to the OP...disc surge brakes...best for many reasons.
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
I have one of those acme tow dollys and I don't like it much. I don't like the separate ramps because I was loading the car and I was almost to the top and it flipped out and the car fell to the ground it was not very high so it did not hurt the car but I did not like what happened. After that I strapped the ramps to the dolly with 2 ratchet straps. I don't know if all dolly are that way but with that acme the straps are constantly loosening and so you are checking the straps all the time. Also the wheels are not restained side to side and the car will move sideways on the dolly during bumps. I hated this tow dolly so much I bought a car that I could be flat towed and I am much happier. With the tow bar I don't have to crawl under to put on the safety chains like I did with that tow dolly.

I have never had all the problems with my ACME, that you seem to have.
But then, I don't have any problems working a pair of pliers, either.....


.
__________________
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:43 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Tony Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peru heading for Brasilia, Brazil
Posts: 2,117
I guess there are different systems for actuating the surge brake, but at least one system has a fairly powerful compression spring inside the coupling to prevent "hunting" so any brake isn't going to start actuating until the deceleration of the tow vehicle is high enough to compress the spring enough to take up the "pedal travel" dead space. It is this effect that gives rise to the thought that override breaks need a good "kick" before they start to assist, and under light braking, they do nothing.
This isn't a bad thing really because the reason you have the trailer brakes is to stop the rig from jackknifing under heavy braking, rather than assisting with light braking.
__________________
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
gman69's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 163
I have an Eze-Tow dolly and it works great. I tow a Honda Fit and I like the removablr ramps since i have seen, and was concerned about ramps hitting and damaging the undersideof thecar on steep dips.
Ii also found the adjustable straps that come with the dolly are difficult to adjust and keep tight. I went with the non-adjustable "Demco" style straps with snap hooks. They work extremely well and once tightened,rarely need much retightening.
__________________
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #37
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,043
Thanks for the back-up guys! Heehee...simple as using a pair of pliars...I really like that!

I can understand the flat-tow crowd bashing the EZE-Tow...big difference in cost and versatility.
But the owners of other dolly's seem to do it too. Maybe it's me, but I have never seen any dolly owner attack the expensive dolly's. Oh well, it's their wallet to empty if they want.
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Why all the hating on Acme? It's the least expensive and most evolved dolly on the market, lightest weight, with no pivot pan (ala' Demco), and currently the only dolly with surge disc brakes.

I find it odd that so many take the time to trash these dolly's when they are actually very good.

BTW, IMO the post that was replied to above Dmk960 was obviously a "really wanted to flat tow" user...Driving over the ramps and shooting them out and complaining when web strap stretches?

Back to the OP...disc surge brakes...best for many reasons.
I don't think there's all that much "Hating" of the Acme dolly. More accurately there are a number of users out there that don't think it's the "most evolved" dolly on the market. While it does have some nice features it's a basic unit lacks many of the features and conveniences of others on the market.
Much of the resistance comes from the fact that some people who have them seem to think they are the end all and be all of tow dollies. I'm sure everyone who has purchased a dolly has done some research. What appeals to some may not appeal to others. Some may feel cost is the most important factor while others feel the conveniences will be the determining factors.

So far what I'm seeing is cost, surge brakes, and disk brakes seem to be the major determining factors for those who have purchased these units. Others who have purchased different brands site convenience of loading and unloading, ease of storage at campsites, preference for electric brakes, and different styles of steering.

As mentioned earlier this is the traditional Ford vs Chevy debate, however I don't feel it's necessary to belittle someone who has had a poor experience and is willing to share it. Just because you can't relate to others experiences doesn't mean they are wrong or incompitent.
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,043
I can link to many, many direct attacks on the EZE-Tow on this forum...I see them because I search the forum by name for my RV and other toys. But, I have never seen anyone say anything like the post above about "hating" a dolly or "it's a piece of junk" , etc.

Thanks to the post above for pointing out where these negative comments come and how its from a base of opinion...and its because we like our equipment. But, oddly Demco owners feel the same way - huh.

And yes, they are the most evolved...the first dolly was just an axle that would support the front end of a towed vehicle. Then dolly's evolved with pivot pans to hold up the front wheels of the toad, then they added electric brakes from the trailer industry.

The EZE-Tow has evolved the dolly biz with surge disc brakes that Demco is reportdly just now adding and no pivot pan. These details are why I picked the term evolved.

if anyone can find somewhere on this Forum, where anyone is trashing a dolly from any other mfgt., I would be interested in seeing it.
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
ChileRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Palm Desert, Ca
Posts: 630
We just now returned from what was to be our EZE-TOWS farewell tour. We have been aggregated, frustrated and even hurt towing our Toyota Solara around the Southwest on our Acme dolly. We could not find a Jeep Wrangler that fit our needs in time for our last leg to Yellowstone and other stops coming and going, so, with some trepidation, we decided to dolly it again. Somewhere between Kelso and Las Vegas we had a strap malfunction ( TGMDW is paranoid about using safety chains, after all it is her car) and had to go to CW for replacement straps. Ended up getting their Roadmaster strap with the crossover strap and buckle. Adding Acmes rear clip strap, what a difference! It is much easier and way quicker to strap and un-strap our Toyota, seems even more secure on the road. Has our EZE-TOW endeared itself to us? NO, but the issue is not the dolly (it's a fine dolly, easy to tow, maneuver and store at home or on the road, and a great value) it's the car. Just because a car CAN be dollied, doesn't mean it is easy to dolly. Still looking for a Wrangler, but with the new straps gonna keep the dolly for those places we would prefer to tool around in the Toyota.
__________________
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Z714X4's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I don't think there's all that much "Hating" of the Acme dolly. More accurately there are a number of users out there that don't think it's the "most evolved" dolly on the market. While it does have some nice features it's a basic unit lacks many of the features and conveniences of others on the market.
Much of the resistance comes from the fact that some people who have them seem to think they are the end all and be all of tow dollies. I'm sure everyone who has purchased a dolly has done some research. What appeals to some may not appeal to others. Some may feel cost is the most important factor while others feel the conveniences will be the determining factors.

So far what I'm seeing is cost, surge brakes, and disk brakes seem to be the major determining factors for those who have purchased these units. Others who have purchased different brands site convenience of loading and unloading, ease of storage at campsites, preference for electric brakes, and different styles of steering.

As mentioned earlier this is the traditional Ford vs Chevy debate, however I don't feel it's necessary to belittle someone who has had a poor experience and is willing to share it. Just because you can't relate to others experiences doesn't mean they are wrong or incompitent.
Well said Hikerdogs!
__________________
2011 Allegro 35QBA
Kar Kaddy KK460SS
2007.5 GMC, LMM D/A, Crew Cab, Z71 4x4, Long Box
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Heating man's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Why all the hating on Acme? It's the least expensive and most evolved dolly on the market, lightest weight, with no pivot pan (ala' Demco), and currently the only dolly with surge disc brakes.

I find it odd that so many take the time to trash these dolly's when they are actually very good.

BTW, IMO the post that was replied to above Dmk960 was obviously a "really wanted to flat tow" user...Driving over the ramps and shooting them out and complaining when web strap stretches?

Back to the OP...disc surge brakes...best for many reasons.
I am not a" really wanted to flat tow" user. I thought the dolly would be a good thing for me I could use it with multiple vehicles. I agree the disc brakes are nice and the price for the thing was reasonable. I found the dolly to be hard to use and poorly engineered. I was expressing my opinion about this as I would not have purchased it if I had known its disadvantages. If you like it I am glad I just don't share your opinion.
__________________

__________________
Heating man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dolly



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.