Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Tow Dolly Question

I am looking to purchase a tow dolly that has hydraulic surge brakes. Does anyone have any recommendations on brand and model? Any info would help. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #2

Towmaster is a quality unit

Old 09-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Kar Kaddy SS (Demco) is also a quality dolly. It also folds up nicely for storage.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
X2 Kar Kaddy SS
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

THe dollies in all the previous posts are good, however the problem lies with the surge brakes. Surge brakes only come into play in hard stops and there is no way to adjust them. THey also are activated wuth hydaulic fliud like your RV.I would recomend electric brakes which means you have to install a brake controller in the RV. This controller lets you adjust the amount of braking you want while descending a steep grade.

As for tow dollies I would recommend a Roadmaster 2001 tow dolly which has steerable wheels that track in the same grove that the rear wheels of the RV track in thereby if the motorhome wheels clear it the dolly will and there will be no scuffing of tires. There is also pin that you put in to make the wheels not steerable when you are parking it.

In the campgrounds I usually ask for a pull through site and then just have to unload the car. I also added a third wheel to mine and If I have to have a back in site I unload car, unhook dolly and pushe it behind RV and then back up RV. When in place I reconnect dolly sao that in morning or whenever the dolly goes out with me.

Good luck on your choice.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

THe dollies in all the previous posts are good, however the problem lies with the surge brakes. Surge brakes only come into play in hard stops and there is no way to adjust them. THey also are activated wuth hydaulic fliud like your RV.I would recomend electric brakes which means you have to install a brake controller in the RV. This controller lets you adjust the amount of braking you want while descending a steep grade.

Good luck on your choice.

This is just not correct. Surge brakes are directly proportional to the weight inertia being exerted on the hydraulic plunger. Because of this you can switch vehicles you are towing and the braking will still be proportional regardless of how light or hard you brake. Also in the Kar Kaddy's case you can adjust the sensitivity of the surge plunger.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See this link for A TON of opinions on the topic.
Tow Dollies

I recommend the Acme EZE-Tow with it's simple, light weight (405lb) design that does away with a turntable or steering axle and is the ONLY mass mfgt. dolly that comes with DISC Surge Brakes!!
See here - only $1,600
Acme Eze Tow Dolly is the Best Heavy Duty Tow Dolly - See For Yourself! | Car Tow Dolly

Unlike what was previously posted about surge brakes - surge brakes ARE GREAT and IMO better than electric brakes because they are automatic, do not need any controller nor the associated wiring, and will work in all prescribed weights from empty to fully loaded at max GVWR. I have proven this when moving my empty dolly to go meet the toad...we don't hook-up at the storage lot and tow the empty dolly home when setting-up. Each time, the light sheen of rust on the disc brakes from sitting a few weeks in storage is always gone by the time I get the dolly home. And I have dolly towed a full sized E150, a mid-sized SUV and a tiny 2 door import with the same brake response with each toad - no problems!!

I also have surge brakes on my boat trailer. Boat trailers cannot use electric brakes because the trailer is fully dipped in the water when launching the boat...not something electric brakes can survive very well And just like my dolly, the trailers brakes need to work when empty (1,700lb) or when loaded with my 29' cabin cruiser (10,000lb) - and they do this with no adjustment.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi again,

I just looked at the EZE tow dolly and it seems you have to disconnect ramps and store them on the tongue. It must be fun when it is raining. My Roadmaster the ramps stay attached and move with the bed when you load the car. Plus there is storage on the bed for the straps, etc.

With a boat trailer you definitely have to have hydraulic surge brakes due to water problem although I never submerge my boat trailer wheels all the way, however electric brakes are not good in water.

The reason I like electric brakes is the adjustment where I can actually activate the brakes with the controller without applying RV brakes or I can adjust the controller a little and it will just give me enoufgh drag that the car isn't pushing me.

As far as wiring it is really a piece of cake and controllers are not expensive.

But like everyone knows everyone has their own opinion and what one person likes someone else may not. Lastly go to www.roadmasterinc.com and check out their dollies.

Good luck

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to 45acp
I also have the Roadmaster 2001 and have used it behind two different motor homes with several different cars and trucks in tow. I really like the way it tracks behind the MH because I can not see the Prius behind the MH. The ramps fold up and down without having to touch them. Every body likes or dislikes what they own but I have total control of the brakes as I drive and can adjust them while I drive. Bill
Old 09-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
See this link for A TON of opinions on the topic.
Tow Dollies

I recommend the Acme EZE-Tow with it's simple, light weight (405lb) design that does away with a turntable or steering axle and is the ONLY mass mfgt. dolly that comes with DISC Surge Brakes!!
See here - only $1,600
Acme Eze Tow Dolly is the Best Heavy Duty Tow Dolly - See For Yourself! | Car Tow Dolly

Unlike what was previously posted about surge brakes - surge brakes ARE GREAT and IMO better than electric brakes because they are automatic, do not need any controller nor the associated wiring, and will work in all prescribed weights from empty to fully loaded at max GVWR. I have proven this when moving my empty dolly to go meet the toad...we don't hook-up at the storage lot and tow the empty dolly home when setting-up. Each time, the light sheen of rust on the disc brakes from sitting a few weeks in storage is always gone by the time I get the dolly home. And I have dolly towed a full sized E150, a mid-sized SUV and a tiny 2 door import with the same brake response with each toad - no problems!!

I also have surge brakes on my boat trailer. Boat trailers cannot use electric brakes because the trailer is fully dipped in the water when launching the boat...not something electric brakes can survive very well And just like my dolly, the trailers brakes need to work when empty (1,700lb) or when loaded with my 29' cabin cruiser (10,000lb) - and they do this with no adjustment.
Contrary to popular belief electric brakes can and are being used on boat trailers. EZLoader the largest manufacturer of boat trailers said this year 20% of the trailers they produce will be equipped with electric brakes. Several other manufacturers are also starting to put electric brakes on their boat trailers.

http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/electric_brakes.asp

Some of the main reasons they site for doing this is the ongoing debate over the legality of surge brakes and the ability of electric brakes to work in reverse, hold while stopped on an incline, and self-brake (using a break away kit) should the trailer disconnect from the towing vehicle.

While working in reverse is a moot point for dolly users holding on hills, the breakaway feature, and the controversy over the legality are real concerns.

Federal statute currently requires that trailer brakes must be able to be applied manually as well as by depressing the brake pedal in the towing vehicle. This is a feature built into electric brake systems, but as of now not yet available on surge brake systems. Although this standard has never been enforced the Surge Brake Coalition is looking to the federal DOT for clarification of the issue. If the DOT should happen to rule against the coalition and authorize issuing citations for non-compliance it could open a whole new chapter in the electric vs. surge brake controversy.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some GREAT info here -
First, here's an earlier post why dolly ramps should be stowable or at least retract into the chassis - somehow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman69 View Post
100_4561.MOV - YouTube

haven't got a dolly yet, but saw this video and gives me concern regarding the ramps hitting the bottom of the car.
About manually engaging brakes - I had electric brakes on a cargo trailer and my last travel trailer and was aware of the ability to "drag" the trailer brakes without braking the TowVehicle - to keep the trailer following properly. Only time I ever used that function when the brakes were NOT properly adjusted...seemed to always need fiddling, and I had a VERY NICE Tekonsha unit!

With surge brakes, anytime there is any negative (pushing) pressure on the tongue, the brakes start to work automatically - no need to drag the trailer brakes. Surge brakes work when needed - even on a hill. If needed while backing, you can over-ride the system with a lock (like EZE-Tow) or solenoid (like my boat - which why there is the 5th lead in a 5pin flat plug).

IF a "manual engage" system is required (but it's not now in statute where I live) it could be a simple add-on to the break-away lever on either my dolly or boat trailer - hmmm, interesting idea...I would love to see a link about it being a federal law.

So, if 20% of EZLoader's boat trailers have electric brakes...doesnt that mean 80% have surge brakes? I'll pick the sealed waterproof system everytime.

Finally, any tow w/ brakes should have a break-away - EZE-Tow does.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like the FORD CHEVY thing to me. I am the proud owner of ACME EZ Tow. I love it it is easy to use, load it and forget it. The disk brakes work great. Nothing else i can say, except most of it is made in America, by a great bunch of people in NC. You can pick it up or they will deliver it to you for a extra $200.00. Put aside the hype from the other manufacturers, you have to use one to see that "THIS WORKS".
Old 09-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
X3 on the Demco KK-460!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi again,

I just looked at the EZE tow dolly and it seems you have to disconnect ramps and store them on the tongue. It must be fun when it is raining. My Roadmaster the ramps stay attached and move with the bed when you load the car. Plus there is storage on the bed for the straps, etc.
I didn't know you could put both of the Roadmaster straps on in the rain and not get wet.

Tags
dolly