Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

Tow dolly question(s)

We are in our third week of pulling our Solara around the Southwest on our eze-tow. It pulls fine, and dolly storage hasn't been a problem, though it can be somewhat frustrating to load and unload. The question relates to unloading the car, specifically the passenger side tire. When I release the ratchet, there is always tension in the wheel and it bounces back a couple of inches. I don't have this issue with the driver side. The car is FWD Auto, is this unusual?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 AM   #2

I use a dolly as well pulling an 08 hyundia
Ive loaded and unloaded several times recently
but havent noticed any tension
ill try pay attention to that next time to see but i dont
recall any tension after the straps were loosened
make sure when u load it that the tires are well seated
in the wells and even
cocos camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
We are in our third week of pulling our Solara around the Southwest on our eze-tow. It pulls fine, and dolly storage hasn't been a problem, though it can be somewhat frustrating to load and unload. The question relates to unloading the car, specifically the passenger side tire. When I release the ratchet, there is always tension in the wheel and it bounces back a couple of inches. I don't have this issue with the driver side. The car is FWD Auto, is this unusual?
We have an EZE-tow too, but have not had this symptom.

You are leaving the steering unlocked - right? The EZE tow needs for the front wheels to turn left and right.
The website says: If you have a locking column, make sure it is left unlocked thus allowing the steering wheel to turn
How to Use a Tow Dolly, How a Car Tow Dolly Works & Other Car Tow Dolly Questions | Car Tow Dolly

This could also be caused by leaving the car in park when you strap it down. If in park, the differential gear in the transmission might be forcing the tires in opposite directions under tension.

Next time you load the car, try leaving it in neutral when you strap-down. You can set the parking brake to keep the car where you want it on the dolly tray. But because parking breaks are often on the rear wheels, be double sure to release the brake before moving the rig. Finish loading with placing the car in Park and releasing the parking brake.

Finally, if that doesn't work, you can leave the transmission in neutral while towing. That will release any pressures in the driveline while in motion...just don't leave the key in the ACC or ON position or you may kill the battery. Only do this as a last resort, beause the car will roll in the unlikely situation that if dropped - the straps and safety chains both fail.

Why is loading a problem?

Good luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088

We have an EZE-tow too, but have not had this symptom.

You are leaving the steering unlocked - right? ........

..........Why is loading a problem?

Good luck!
Thanks For the hints, we do leave the steering unlocked, we just finished the final leg, and tightened in neutral, as well as retightened in neutral when needed, even loosened in neutral, same thing, bounced back about 2-3 inches. Oh well.....
The frustration in loading and unloading comes from conditions at RV park, trying to get a straight shot on trailer, having to kneel in gravel or whatever, the other aggravation just has to do with the car. Being a "sporty" model the tires are a snug fit in the wheel wells so I have scrapped a knuckle or two trying to strap them down, plus it is impossible to safety chain the frame, so we have covered the chains and had to run them thru the rims. And we may stress out too much about getting the car as close to center as possible!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Thanks For the hints, we do leave the steering unlocked, we just finished the final leg, and tightened in neutral, as well as retightened in neutral when needed, even loosened in neutral, same thing, bounced back about 2-3 inches. Oh well.....
The frustration in loading and unloading comes from conditions at RV park, trying to get a straight shot on trailer, having to kneel in gravel or whatever, the other aggravation just has to do with the car. Being a "sporty" model the tires are a snug fit in the wheel wells so I have scrapped a knuckle or two trying to strap them down, plus it is impossible to safety chain the frame, so we have covered the chains and had to run them thru the rims. And we may stress out too much about getting the car as close to center as possible!
Same problem when loosened in neutral too? So...maybe, since you have a "sporty model" there is some fancy traction control diff in the transaxle to hold torque between the wheels, even in neutral(?)

I am only reaching here. It doesn't make sense.

Others with low profile toads have complained about the same loading/unloading problems. There's no help for that. Just the nature of the beast.

If I were you I would just keep a close eye on the side that jumps to ensure is doesn't "walk around" during towing. If it stays centered you should be good to go. Also, you could call Acme and ask about the symptom. I have talked to Brandon 2 times with questions and he was very helpful.

Happy towing
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
E Z tow dolleys do not have a turn table or a self steer so unless the unit is perfectly straight there will be tension on one side.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
also, most camps sites you enter by turning left into the site. since there is limited room to pull forward the car may be in a little bind from the turn. I think this is to be expected. I have a master tow that I extended the tongue/frame 5' with a aluminum deck for my toys. Even with the pivot platform the tight turn sometime moves a wheel a little when unloading. No Issue.
bcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
bcbrowne,

Got any pictures of the extended dolly? I was thinking of doing the same thing to mine.

thanks, Mike

You can PM is you want
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote