Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #1

Tow Dolly Questions

Changing from 5th wheel to MH. Now need tow dolly for front wheel drive vehicle. Just don't know the ins and outs. Do I need brakes actuated on the toad and do I need lights. Lights seem easy and maybe a no brainer to add. But are there brakes on the tow dollys? Thanks for your reply. Ted
2000 34' Newmar Mountain Aire with Toyota Highlander.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get set for a load of opinions. I prefer the ACME EZE Tow, weighs 400 lbs, has built in break system, legal lights. Drive the car on, plug in the lights, strap the car down, GO!!

Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company

Old 01-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #3

I have studied that one and very interested. When you say plug in the lights I think you mean from the dolly to the MH and no plug ins to the vehicle. Is that correct?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #4

Yes, plug in the dolly lights. He did leave out " Unlock the steering wheel, if it locks "

Other brands of dollys have turn tables ( Stiel Tow ), and some have steering wheels. With them, you do not have to unlock your steering.

Happy shopping
Old 01-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the ACME

It has hydraulic surge brakes which operate when the dolly tongue pushes against the RV, which happens every time you stop the RV. The ACME is not limited on the speed you can tow as some dollys are. Another plus is that it is possible to back up since the dolly does not have steerable wheels. It can be stored vertical when not in use.

A negative point is that the dolly is about 12 inches wider than the RV. Also, when going around tight corners you will notice skid marks left on the pavement which are coming from the dolly wheels. When turning tight the toad rear wheels roll and the dolly wheels get dragged a little sideways (doesn't hurt anything as far as I can tell). The front wheels of the toad turn some when going around corners so your steering lock must not be engaged (most newer cars don't have locks).
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #6

I have the ACME as well and I used diodes for the toad lights so that the tail light/signal lights work. I made a special 7 pin to twin 4 pin connectors so I can plug in both the toad and the dolly at the same time. I also have a hitch on the toad so I can move the dolly with the toad if we need to at some CG's.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

dolly lights

I have left the dolly business a couple of years ago but I want to clear up a misconception about the lights on a dolly. Georgia law states that tail lights must be less that 4 feet from the rear of the vehicle. I imagine this is pretty much standard in most jurisdictions.

Thus a dolly towed vehicle should have lights separate from the dolly. I ran magnetic marker lights when I dolly towed. The dolly lights are for when you tow the dolly without a vehicle attached.

Good Luck.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
I used a Demco KarKaddy SS, which features folding tow bar and ramps, and hydraulic surge brakes. I thought that the dolly fender mounted lights were a little low to be easily seen by vehicles around me, so i wired a plug for a set of magnetic mount trailer lights which I stuck on the roof of the toad where they are quite visible. I am sure that they are more than the "legal" minimum, but a good safety add on.
I have changed to flat towing now, and when I return to Ohio in April, the dolly will go on the sale block.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Get set for a load of opinions. I prefer the ACME EZE Tow, weighs 400 lbs, has built in break system, legal lights. Drive the car on, plug in the lights, strap the car down, GO!!

Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
I got an ACME EZE Tow dolly in 2010 and feel it is a good product - hassle free and can be used with any front wheel drive car - but call them to verify your Highlander. Good company to do business with.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I used a Demco KarKaddy SS, which features folding tow bar and ramps, and hydraulic surge brakes. I thought that the dolly fender mounted lights were a little low to be easily seen by vehicles around me, so i wired a plug for a set of magnetic mount trailer lights which I stuck on the roof of the toad where they are quite visible. I am sure that they are more than the "legal" minimum, but a good safety add on.
I have changed to flat towing now, and when I return to Ohio in April, the dolly will go on the sale block.
Bob
Yep, I think this one is the best for the money.

The Kar Kaddy 3
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually this one is a little better.

Tow Dollies - Kar Kaddy SS
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #12

KarKaddy SS / Chevy Malibu

Just returned from a month and a half, 7000 mile adventure. We took our Malibu with us on a KarKaddy SS and all went well. Was nice to have the Chevy with us to go sight seeing or just running to the store for groceries. The KarKaddy SS folds up so I was able to keep it on our site rather than the storage area. It is galvinized and has a surge brake. Did a bunch of research before deciding to go with it and am glad I did. In the picture below you can see how it fit in our spot at the RV park with no problem by folding up the ramps. If I unhooked the tongue could be folded as well for even more space saving.

Just Another Old Doggy, Don

OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
X2 on the ACME

A negative point is that the dolly is about 12 inches wider than the RV.

Same width as any modern class A, 102 inches.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly