Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
Thanks so much for the follow up ttarob! I do know and you are so right about those large rocky bumps. We are headed up the Alaska Highway (AB, BC, YK) to Anchorage in a few weeks from west Georgia. We went up that way last year in a truck camper we had and loved it. This year using the MH and dolly.

Will be waving at you as we go through your fair city!! Staying at Banff for a few days.

All the best

Rascal
We will be waving right back!!!

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #30

A little anecdotal information here. We have had several customers make that trip with the Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly. Their advise is to take extra spares and straps. Very hard travel on a dolly and resources are scarce. Make sure have the means to change the dolly tires should it become necessary. A cordless impact wrench makes tire changing very fast.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:19 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks- do appreciate the thought. I always carry spares wherever I go (3 actually- 1 for the MH, one for the dolly, and one for the car)- and an extra set of straps.

Drove the Alaska Highway last year and the road does warrant extra attention.
Rascal
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:46 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mant View Post
How about a tandem tow dolly? I would like to tow a car and my motorcycle, any experience with this type?
I have a tandem tow dolly and it works great for 2 harleys and my ford edge.
Bigdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:04 AM   #33

Retired Fire Service RVer's
What make tandem do you have? I didn't realize they came big enough to carry two motorcycles.
mant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mant View Post
What make tandem do you have? I didn't realize they came big enough to carry two motorcycles.
The only one I'm aware of... Tandem Tow. They have the patent on them. Their website is www.tandem-tow.com the deck in front comes in various sizes to accommodate 1 or 2 bikes, or a bike and a four wheeler, or a golf cart etc.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Btw, I have the tandem tow hdxl.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #36

I have used the Croft tow dolly for the last 3.5 years. Very well built. This is the same tow dolly Penske and I believe UHaul rents. It's not foldable and you cannot remove the ramps but I believe it's one of the better ones you can buy IMO. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432488437.790380.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	95109
Tatercolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #37

Since we're talking tow dolly's, I have what some may consider a stupid question. I have an ACME tow dolly. I put a little Mazda Protoge on it and towed it for 400 miles. The straps were chafed about half way through after this short trip. I'm assuming that this was because the car had small and low profile tires. If there are other probable causative factors, please share them with me. I haven't used it since because I'm afraid of losing the car on the freeway due to strap failure.
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #38

The first thing I would do is put the car back on and look for why the webbing was chafed. Something was rubbing in the area of the damage or the straps were not tight.

If they were new straps they would stretch in the first few miles and then chafe because the car was moving if you did not stop to tighten them up. I get a click or two after the first couple of turns with the rig even with old straps. The vehicle and dolly do a bit of wiggle and sort themselves out so slack develops. With new straps do a short trip through neighborhoods and tighten after every few turns. It won't take too long to get to where everything is tight when you check.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #39

Good point regarding stretching and re-adjusting. I don't believe I did that until I had reached my destination and the damage had already occurred. Dumb move...
I'll give it another shot and pre-stretch the straps by driving around a bit and re-adjusting, as you suggested.

Thank You... Safe Travels....
Old 05-26-2015, 05:34 AM   #40

Towing 2007 Jeep Commander 2wd on Tow Dolly?

Can I tow a 2007 Jeep Commander 2wd on my Tow Dolly if I load it on the dolly backwards?

I would think all I need to do is make sure the steering wheel is locked. Right?

I have a Tow Dolly with surge brakes
Old 05-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #41

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

Your strap is def rubbing and abrading on something. The most common damage occurs from the strut tower housing. It is only about a quarter of an inch from your tire. Often times people do not get the strap past the housing and it rubs and cuts there. Also, sometimes the strap will force its way past that point in transit resulting a now suddenly very loose strap.
New straps will stretch some, but the loosening most people see is simply the straps settling and moving to their natural positions. As they do so some slack occurs. Once they are in their natural position they will not loosen.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #42

Copy that..... Thanks....

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly