Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatercolo View Post
I have used the Croft tow dolly for the last 3.5 years. Very well built. This is the same tow dolly Penske and I believe UHaul rents. It's not foldable and you cannot remove the ramps but I believe it's one of the better ones you can buy IMO. Attachment 95109
The ones I've rented were made by Demco. That's also what we own although ours has a foldable tongue and ramps.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Your strap is def rubbing and abrading on something. The most common damage occurs from the strut tower housing. It is only about a quarter of an inch from your tire. Often times people do not get the strap past the housing and it rubs and cuts there. Also, sometimes the strap will force its way past that point in transit resulting a now suddenly very loose strap.
New straps will stretch some, but the loosening most people see is simply the straps settling and moving to their natural positions. As they do so some slack occurs. Once they are in their natural position they will not loosen.
Small bone to pick with that. The straps will stop stretching but the car/dolly relationship will change a bit with the first few turns. It still pays to stop and check and get a click or two of tightening.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:19 AM   #45
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

That is correct. That was not as well worded as it could have been.
Once the straps have settled into their natural position and have been tightened again they will not appear to loosen with any significance. Straps that have just been applied will always settle into a natural position which results in slack.
It has to do specifically with the cross over straps going over the top of the tire. If they are not straight and direct over tire they will slowly, or quickly, migrate to the correct position and you suddenly have loose straps. It can be avoided or minimized by simply taking the time to make sure the crossover straps are straight.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #46

Triple E Owners Club
Going to try an experiment starting tomorrow. We're heading out to the east coast for a three month tour. I'll be pulling an 08 Civic Si on an Eze tow dolly. I've only towed it for about 20 miles and have already noticed rubbing on the inside of the wheel net. I'm going to be using the wheel net on one side and a single strap on the other side. The single strap has two rubber tread locks on it. It's the same system I use on my Peterbilt car hauler. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433125652.038604.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	95824Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433125687.071712.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	95825
On my short test drive the single strap stayed tighter than the wheel net. With the tread locks I'm not concerned about the strap sliding off. I have the extra length of strap tied through the wheel just to stop it from flapping. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433126164.417999.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	95829Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433126185.212425.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	95830Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433126208.706874.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	95831Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433126257.183905.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	95832
Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #47

Triple E Owners Club
As far as the safety chains go, I'm using the tow hooks on the front of the car. I've threaded a chain around the front ramp support. Can't go under the frame because of the brake line. I figure a little more slack in the chain is needed because of suspension movement. I know it works cause it stopped me from unloading when I forgot to take them off. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433126919.621009.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	95834
Old 06-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #48

I would keep a close eye on that single strap, making sure it don't walk off the side of the tire.

With that style dolly, every turn causes the steering to move.

The geometry of a front end, causes changes in the caster, camber and toe, of each wheel, independently, in a turn. That will put a lot of stress on the straps.

When you turn the steering wheel, on the ground, one tire rolls forward and one back.

Imagine having your car strapped to the dolly, not hitched to the tow vechicle. Now think about the what is going to happen, if you try to move the tongue to the right or left. The tires have to roll, even a little, to turn.

An extreme example, is the little red wagon, one wheel moved forward and one back, in a turn.

Just my thoughts
Old 06-01-2015, 06:22 AM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
Can I tow a 2007 Jeep Commander 2wd on my Tow Dolly if I load it on the dolly backwards?

I would think all I need to do is make sure the steering wheel is locked. Right?

I have a Tow Dolly with surge brakes
I assume they say you can not tow and if that is the case yes backwards and lock the steering. Should be fine.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use an 18" hitch ball wrench from Wal-Mart to tighten the straps, nothing moves.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I use an 18" hitch ball wrench from Wal-Mart to tighten the straps, nothing moves.
Do you check after the first couple of turns? ;-)
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Do you check after the first couple of turns? ;-)
Did the first couple of times, now just a walk around whenever I stop. The tires are distorted a little against the front rail.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
Can I tow a 2007 Jeep Commander 2wd on my Tow Dolly if I load it on the dolly backwards?

I would think all I need to do is make sure the steering wheel is locked. Right?

I have a Tow Dolly with surge brakes
Tie the steering wheel also, don't bet the farm on the lock. Easy way is to loop the rope around a spoke pull it tight, close the door on it, tie a big knot in it up against the door and front pillar. Towed many cars that way as a wrecker driver.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #54

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would keep a close eye on that single strap, making sure it don't walk off the side of the tire.

With that style dolly, every turn causes the steering to move.

The geometry of a front end, causes changes in the caster, camber and toe, of each wheel, independently, in a turn. That will put a lot of stress on the straps.

When you turn the steering wheel, on the ground, one tire rolls forward and one back.

Imagine having your car strapped to the dolly, not hitched to the tow vechicle. Now think about the what is going to happen, if you try to move the tongue to the right or left. The tires have to roll, even a little, to turn.

An extreme example, is the little red wagon, one wheel moved forward and one back, in a turn.

Just my thoughts

That's why I'm using the single strap on the one side only. Just unhooked everything here in White Rock after quite a few hard 90 degree turns and everything was still in place. The rubber tread locks seem to hold the strap in the center of the tire.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #55
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

I am very interested in the tread lock mechanism. Where can I buy some of these to experiment with? May want to incorporate them into our strap design...
Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #56

Richard, some here:
Auto Hauler Supply - wheel straps, height sticks, graphite, cluster chains, e track

Add your own!!
http://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-cleat-strap-protector

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly