Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Here's an update on my EZE-tow.
I'll definitely be using my single strap with rubber tread locks instead of the wheel nets that come with the dolly. I find the wheel nets need more retightening than the single strap. The inside of the wheel net rubs the strut tower a lot and the outside has already left deep rub marks on the alloy wheels.
Lost both rubber grommets that hold the tail lights in place. Lucky the wires kept the lights from disappearing but they sure got beat up. New grommets and zap straps should keep them in place now.
This is after about 2000 miles into a 10000 plus mile trip.
This is the only dolly I have used. It seems to be working okay. It tracks good and I love the surge brakes. Fairly easy to move around when I need to.
I don't care what anyone says but it does leave black skid marks on the pavement when turning sharp.

Dave
1999 Triple E Signature 35.5
Cat 3126B
You are not having a normal experience. If you are not traveling extremely rough roads check your tires for out of balance or out of round. What is your air pressure?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #72

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
You are not having a normal experience. If you are not traveling extremely rough roads check your tires for out of balance or out of round. What is your air pressure?

The tires seem to be running smooth. I can see them in my mirrors and I don't feel any vibration. I set the tire pressure at 90 psi. The number 1 highway in Canada is about as smooth as a goats trail in places and I had a pretty strong cross wind.
I read a post somewhere here about losing the tail lights on these dollies. I'm pretty sure I have everything set up right.

Dave
Cat 3126B

Old 06-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoA36 View Post
Towed for the first time on my new EZE-tow today. All seems to have gone well, but I am astonished at how filthy my car is now. Is this normal? I can write my name on the surface with my finger, looks like it's covered in volcanic ash. Yikes.

Terry
It seems to be if you get into any dust. Probably the same no matter how you tow - the low pressure area behind the MH pick up the road dust kicked up by the MH tires and drops it on the towed or anything else back there.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My EZTow dolly lost the rubber gasket around the lights too - a couple times. I contacted EZTow and they sent replacements, though they did imply that it must have been caused by something I had done. The good news is that, since EXTow uses all standard parts you can also find replacement lenses and gaskets at most any auto parts store.

I also purchased an exterior grade clear adhesive caulk and liberally caulked both the light and the gasket. I've not had a problem since and I now also have a backup light assembly courtesy of EZTow.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-S View Post
We just recently bought a Tow Master dolly that has a turn table... here is a couple of modifications that we made:
1. we welded our own rackets to the dolly because of the configuration of the OME design.
2. after using the nylon straps that came with the dolly, we elected to build our own chain harness. the webbing on the straps are not sewn in place and we ended up fighting them to get them in place,, the chains work very nicely!
3. I think my pivot pin/bolt is a little too tight so i will loosen that a little bit makes loading you car easier when the dolly is straight.

good luck in your research!!!
D-S you wouldn't by chance have pictures of the chain do-hickys your talking about would you? Sure would like to see them.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #76

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
...It appears that I will have to spend $89, per side, at ACME Tow Dolly....
The thing with ACME, is that they use off the shelf components.

You can go directly to the manufacturer of the straps and save.

Replacement tail lights, and fenders are easy to find, (the link button only works the first time, so theURLs are below):

http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-C561RTM...zer+tail+light

http://www.amazon.com/TowZone-86751-...trailer+fender
Old 06-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #77

Are they like 1/3 rd, of a snow chain ?

I like the idea
Old 06-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Here's an update on my EZE-tow.
I'll definitely be using my single strap with rubber tread locks instead of the wheel nets that come with the dolly. I find the wheel nets need more retightening than the single strap. The inside of the wheel net rubs the strut tower a lot and the outside has already left deep rub marks on the alloy wheels.
Lost both rubber grommets that hold the tail lights in place. Lucky the wires kept the lights from disappearing but they sure got beat up. New grommets and zap straps should keep them in place now.
This is after about 2000 miles into a 10000 plus mile trip.
This is the only dolly I have used. It seems to be working okay. It tracks good and I love the surge brakes. Fairly easy to move around when I need to.
I don't care what anyone says but it does leave black skid marks on the pavement when turning sharp.

Dave
Cat 3126B
I had a similar issue with my Malibu, but took a different approach on correction. I installed Cordura chafe guards to prevent chafing and that solved the issue. (See photo below)

Interested in the single strap solution, although I probably won't attempt it since it sounds like Richard may experiment with the idea. I suspect that with a single strap in the center of the tire, the tire will deform inward and not let the strap move to the side. Might be a good solution in the end.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoA36 View Post
Towed for the first time on my new EZE-tow today. All seems to have gone well, but I am astonished at how filthy my car is now. Is this normal? I can write my name on the surface with my finger, looks like it's covered in volcanic ash. Yikes.

Terry
And once you start the car, it will smell like burning rubber for a while. Don't be alarmed, it is normal.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub View Post
I'm looking at a new car, but it can't be towed 4 wheels down........so thinking of a tow dolly. I've never had one. So, I'm looking for any and all comments, pros and cons concerning the use of a tow dolly. Thanks
Brian

PS: I assume any front wheel car can be towed on a dolly, like a Ford Escape?
Brian, I own a 2014 Ford escape that I plan to dolly. I have never dollied before but have towed trailers of all sizes. My question to you: did you buy the Escape? Mine is "Push Botton Start" which means there is no steering lock. Do you dolly with the steering free??? Or must I lock the steering wheel some how. I have come across a lightly used Tow Master w/electric brakes for $1,00000
Engineman3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #81

$1000.00 good deal. $1 million, have I got a deal for you.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Engineman3rd, I ended up buying an 09 Ford Escape Hybrid. I had an 07 and towed it for years four down. Found the 09 with only 34,000 mile and like new conidition for about 1/2 the cost of a new Escape, so went that route.
Brian
Old 12-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineman3rd View Post
Brian, I own a 2014 Ford escape that I plan to dolly. I have never dollied before but have towed trailers of all sizes. My question to you: did you buy the Escape? Mine is "Push Botton Start" which means there is no steering lock. Do you dolly with the steering free??? Or must I lock the steering wheel some how. I have come across a lightly used Tow Master w/electric brakes for $1,00000

Is your Escape four or two wheel drive? If four, it can't be towed on a dolly.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:19 AM   #84

I have the same dolly and tow a 14 jeep cherokee two wheel drive without locking steering, no problems. Went across country this past summer.

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly