Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
But you don't need an electric brake controller mounted inside you vehicle to have electric brakes on a dolly. American tow dolly sells a brake controller mounted to the dolly for those without a vehicle mounted break controller and uses a flat 4 wiring harness.
I have seen these lately .... But not here in Canada. I'm not sure those are allowed up here
Kind of a good idea tho!!

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #16

I have an Eze Tow dolly and like it. It's well made, relatively light and has surge brakes and LED lights. Search under my profile and you can see several threads on this subject. We tow a 3700 pound Nisan Murano. It's got a fairly wide wheel track and big tires. Need to make some modifications to where the wheel straps hook to keep from crushing the hook retainers. But overall I'm satisfied. It requires the steering wheel to be unlocked and there are various ways of doing this. Newer cars tend to not have locking steering wheels anyway.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarob View Post
I have seen these lately .... But not here in Canada. I'm not sure those are allowed up here
Kind of a good idea tho!!
ttrob: Can you point us to the restrictions on this? Traveling that way soon and would sure like to know. I had researched this and had not seen anything on that restriction on brakes and it would be interesting to see that regulation or where one might find it.

The system works great with the controller on the dolly and I also have a breakaway so your help would be appreciated.
Tnx
Rascal
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
But you don't need an electric brake controller mounted inside you vehicle to have electric brakes on a dolly. American tow dolly sells a brake controller mounted to the dolly for those without a vehicle mounted break controller and uses a flat 4 wiring harness.
Where do they get the power for the brakes? I can see how they could put a proportional controller on the tongue but I do not see where they would get power to run it out of a 4 wire system.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power comes off the brake light circuit through the trailer light connections and signals a controller on the dolly (with adjustable gain) to apply or release brakes.

Exact same controller as would be in the cab- just mounted in a box on the dolly tongue.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #20

There is no provision for emergency, break away, on the EZ Brake system.

You could install a break away switch and battery, but then there is no charge line in a 4 wire connector, to maintain it.

Instead of running a 12 or 10 gauge wire to power the brakes, the EZ Brake, gets its power from the 2 lighter gauge, brake light wires.

It sounds good, until the wires merge, on the way to brake light switch. On a stop/signal setup, the power runs thru the signal light switch, after the brake light switch.

Now you are lighting the brake lights, on the tow vehicle and dolly, while also, activating the electric brakes on the dolly.

The setup instructions specify, having the engine running, when adjusting the gain, due to voltage drop in the wiring.

I, personally, would go with conventional, electric brakes or surge brakes, over this arrangement.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No real need for a charge line to the MH. The installation of the break away system and rechargeable battery took me maybe 15 minutes tops and cost about $30+. Rather than wiring into constant 12 volt to recharge from the motorhome, the company said it was no problem to intermittently recharge as needed (it has an integrated test and charge status) off a battery charger. If needed replacement batteries just pop in and out and are not that expensive, but the recharge system with a charger works great. It rarely needs a recharge.From time to time for safety I get the dolly rolling and pull the breakaway pin to make sure the brakes engage and hold. Works fine every time.

You are right on about the gain, I have the DW apply the brakes on the rig and then I adjust. Other than me being outside, its no different than a controller in the cab. Plus I can move this controller to other trailers if needed- a nice feature to have--- or I have the flexibility use the dolly with any adequate vehicle I want that does not have a controller.

I am pretty pleased with the set up and after many thousands of miles I have had no glitches at all and am very happy I went this route..
Old 05-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
The only issue is getting under the front end to attach the safety chains. Wish they'd come up with a fix for that.
You can install chain or cable extensions to your vehicle "permanently" to make the safety attachment points easier to reach, at your convenience.

I installed some chain to my Prius, and now I can clip-in the safety chains, (hidden behind the bumper), without having to lay down. Easy and fast.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
You can install chain or cable extensions to your vehicle "permanently" to make the safety attachment points easier to reach, at your convenience.

I installed some chain to my Prius, and now I can clip-in the safety chains, (hidden behind the bumper), without having to lay down. Easy and fast.
Thats a great idea! I might try that one.

Right now I run the chains through the wheel spokes (they are large gaps) and wrap down to the dolly frame- takes minute or two to do each one but goes well. I don't have to lay down but I have to squat a little (probably good for me?)

I am going to check and see if I can do your system with our Focus.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #24

Retired Fire Service RVer's
How about a tandem tow dolly? I would like to tow a car and my motorcycle, any experience with this type?
mant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:28 AM   #25

Safety chains on tow dollies

I have seen several comments on this thread and others about safety chains.
It is important to understand how they work. The safety chains must go BACK to the cars suspension with about one or two inches of slack. If you take the safety chains forward they will be useless in a vehicle separation. The safety chains are 30 inches long. If they are attached to the front of your vehicle from the dolly then they now have 60 inches of lateral movement. ( from front to rear ) More then enough to allow the car to come completely off the dolly .
The safety chains have to go BACK to the suspension. They have to be attached aft of the dolly axle.
You can see this very well demonstrated on our instruction video at
Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I have used dollys with the turn table and also rack and pinion steering. I prefer the steering units. We use a Demco Kar Kaddy III. It has surge brakes and LED lights. You can also get the one that lets you fold up the ramps and tongue for storage.

I have towed everything from my Ford Explorer to my Corvette on it. Usually it's my wife's VW Passat.

The only issue is getting under the front end to attach the safety chains. Wish they'd come up with a fix for that.
I also tow with the Kar Kaddy. I installed two eye bolts to the frame of my chevy cruz. Adjusted to length the safety chains and now it is just snap and go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	94315  
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
ttrob: Can you point us to the restrictions on this? Traveling that way soon and would sure like to know. I had researched this and had not seen anything on that restriction on brakes and it would be interesting to see that regulation or where one might find it.

The system works great with the controller on the dolly and I also have a breakaway so your help would be appreciated.
Tnx
Rascal
Hey Rascal ... In Canada ... British Columbia is the most picky about towed vehicles whether it be trailers or cars/trucks what have you, having they're own braking system, it's those large Rocky Bumps they have!!! Being that you are not a Canadian vehicle, they will only really worry about it having brakes and being enough for the vehicle on the dolly or trailer, being that I'm Canadian, purchasing a dolly with a built in or on brake controller ..... well I have been researching this for a while now, there are NONE here to my knowledge, either it's full electric brakes with the controller in the tow vehicle or surge brakes, Uhaul's dollies and trailers are all surge brakes and they are all over Canada, with the trailers being built in the USA.
Hope this helps .... visitors seem to have a little more leeway than us residents!!!
Where ya going in our fair Country??? Do try to enjoy our Fabulous scenery

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarob View Post
Hey Rascal ... In Canada ... British Columbia is the most picky about towed vehicles whether it be trailers or cars/trucks what have you, having they're own braking system, it's those large Rocky Bumps they have!!! Being that you are not a Canadian vehicle, they will only really worry about it having brakes and being enough for the vehicle on the dolly or trailer, being that I'm Canadian, purchasing a dolly with a built in or on brake controller ..... well I have been researching this for a while now, there are NONE here to my knowledge, either it's full electric brakes with the controller in the tow vehicle or surge brakes, Uhaul's dollies and trailers are all surge brakes and they are all over Canada, with the trailers being built in the USA.
Hope this helps .... visitors seem to have a little more leeway than us residents!!!
Where ya going in our fair Country??? Do try to enjoy our Fabulous scenery
Thanks so much for the follow up ttarob! I do know and you are so right about those large rocky bumps. We are headed up the Alaska Highway (AB, BC, YK) to Anchorage in a few weeks from west Georgia. We went up that way last year in a truck camper we had and loved it. This year using the MH and dolly.

Will be waving at you as we go through your fair city!! Staying at Banff for a few days.

All the best

Rascal

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly