Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #15

Their, not There.....
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #16

What are the inside dimensions of the EZE TOW?
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
What are the inside dimensions of the EZE TOW?
Acme says the dolly will fit cars with an outside-to-outside tire width of 79".
FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions - Car Tow Dolly

The frame where the tires sit is much deeper (front to rear) than just the tire's footprint...maybe just over 2 feet (would have to measure).

Hope that helps.
Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #18

Carolina Campers
tow dolly questions

Just a quick thank you to everyone who responded to my questions re tow dollys.

If I go that route I will get one with brakes for sure

dave
2008 monaco cayman
gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I too was undecided as to which dolly to buy but finally settled on the Acme because of its simplicity and ease of storage.(I plan to store it upright behind my class c in the storage yard I use because it will only take up 3' of space or less.

I did not have a car to tow as my Hyundai Azera would have lost all of its settings if the battery was disconnected and I did not want to mess with fuses, switches or battery pack so I started to shop for cars, and my choices were Mini, Beetle and Saab - all convertibles.

I settled on a Saab because the steering wheel does not lock and the price is right on these vehicles as they are 'orphans'. I am fortunate to have a dedicated Saab garage near me that is operated by a past Saab employee (service rep) that went on to GM when they acquired the brand and he left after Saab was killed off and did not want to move to CA to continue his GM employment.

For less than $4000. invested I have a toad and dolly and could dispose of them and lose very little rather than have 4K in 'sunk cost' for a 4 wheel down toad that would cost way more than my Saab.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 AM   #20

I think you will find a lot of folks run the numbers the same way. Particularly if they are not full timing.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb1899 View Post
...so I started to shop for cars, and my choices were Mini, Beetle and Saab - all convertibles.

I settled on a Saab because the steering wheel does not lock .....
Curious if that is the main reason for not selecting the Beetle? My wife loves the Beetle Convertible and I am curious about towing it on my dolly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I chose the Saab for 2 reasons- price and the fact it has a timing chain.

I would like to have had a beetle but the 2.5 (it has a chain) was too much $ and the 2005's and older 2.0's and 1.8 Turbos have a belt. When you shop for an older beetle there usually is no service history so you should figure the cost of a timing belt ($500-600.) in your purchase price.

A Saab 9 three just sold for about $3800 and 70K on it on ebay - 2002 or 01.

I did not pay near that for my '97 that came with an almost new top and 14 years of service history! Oh, it has 144k on it and it runs like a top
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly