Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow dolly questions from a rookie

I have a new sunseeker gts 2800 and an old 2002 Toyota Camry. I plan to use a tow dolly. My question(s) is how much more difficult will this be to drive towing a camry behind me? Some say I won't even know it is there but I am not so sure. Also what is a good dolly? I am thinking mid grade dolly that meets my weight requirement. The car is abut 3500 pounds. I have not upgraded anything on the suspension or steering. It seems to drive reasonably well with a little movement when an 18 wheeler goes by me. Do I need to upgrade anything on the chassis?

I am open to all suggestions and recommendations. Let me hear it so I don't make a major mistake. Thank you in advance. Charles.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

Here is one opinion from someone who has used two types.

I have a Sthil Tow and like it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3516422

Tow dolly in my future?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Charles L,

A rear track bar will help handling when towing a lot.
Check the wheel alignment (toe in) on any dolly before you pay for it.
I have a Stehl dolly that I bought new that had bad toe in problems. (3/8") It cost me 3 sets of tires and visits to two truck alignment shops and a bunch of $ to get it fixed.
I now have a used acme eztow that is great!

Update the signature area on your profile to include more info on your Rv and equipment.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #4

I've towed the wife's RAV4 several thousand miles on a Kar Kaddy. It behaves very well.
You will "know" it's there just as a matter of awareness, but it really presents no problems as long as you watch mirrors.
[Moderator Edit] We sold the MH and gonna be Streamin' it.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
We tow our Volvo (3900#) with this dolly. Set up with brakes, straps and ramps. The brakes operate from the juice form the brake lights so there's no extra set up for a controller needed. Nice set up. I only feel a little less power up the hills when towing. Wiggle is negligiable.

FYI I have found any trip over 500 miles and less than 10 days long the extra gas I use towing will pay for a small rent a car. Less wear tear on the big rig is included in that thought. If you are a full timer just disregard my last.

Home | American Car Dolly
Kountry 2SUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Where would I find the suspension items?

Where would I find a rear track bar? This is a e450 ford powered sunseeker 30 ft. Would I need a steering stabilizer as well? Not sure what the real name is. It has firestone ride rite air bags. I am not sure what the essential items to upgrade are. I have only towed once in my life. Just want to be safe. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the EZE TOW dolly and tow a Hyundai Elantra, I have also towed a RAV 4 front wheel drive only. The Elantra is about 3200lbs the RAV was heavier. Both tow just fine with my Bounder.
https://cartowdolly.com/
Surge brakes and as easy as any to load and unload. I like the flexibility of my tow dolly and storing at a campsite is no big deal, very easy to move and store.
With airbags already installed I would l think the most you may need is a track bar, but would tow a few times before deciding, JMO

Good Luck and
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #8

We pulled a 2013 RAV4 on a MasterTow dolly for a few thousand miles with a E450-based 28' RV, and I honestly remember no difference between handling with and without it. We did nothing to the E450 chassis.

Before we bought the dolly we averaged about 8.6 mpg, and after the dolly we averaged about 8.1. That's total miles and total gallons, and we virtually never went anywhere without he dolly after buying it. So I guess towing the car cost us about a half mpg.

Our MasterTow has electric brakes, but surge brakes may be more convenient for you. We basically bought what we could find locally right before a trip, so availability was the deciding factor. But we've been pleased with it.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you start throwing parts at it why not get your dolly and tow a few hundred miles. I bet you will be surprised. Make sure your tire pressure is set correctly.

If you haven't done so go to http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/
and look around. Someone may have set up something similar.

I had an '07 Sunseeker 2860 and pulled a '02 Ford Taurus for awhile. Never knew it was there till I checked the mirrors. I did, long before I started towing it, put beefed-up Hellwig sway bars on and did an alignment. I was under the impression that the late model E-450's beefed up the sway bars.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
12 inch Tire/rim size

Thanks for the response. Did you ever have concerns about the 12 inch size of the rims/tires? I see they are 10 ply and I think they said E rating.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry 2SUM View Post
We tow our Volvo (3900#) with this dolly. Set up with brakes, straps and ramps. The brakes operate from the juice form the brake lights so there's no extra set up for a controller needed. Nice set up. I only feel a little less power up the hills when towing. Wiggle is negligiable.

Home | American Car Dolly
I went with American Car Dolly also and have towed cross country from GA 2x. Once to Alaska and back from Georgia, and once coast to coast and back. I went with the electric brakes. I really don't notice it at all behind us as we travel and the slight up tilt from the elevation of the front wheels on the pan have prevented any rock/debris damage to our car. It was the best bargain for a new dolly with a swivel pan (which I definitely wanted) and electric brakes. The brake set up is neat in that you do not need to modify your motorhome with a controller install as the controller is located on the dolly.

The DW and I have gotten pretty spiffy and fast loading it.

We have literally run the dickens out of this American Car Dolly and probably are near 40,000 miles on it now. I've replaced the brakes recently for peace of mind (they probably had another 10,000 miles) . It is so well built the only real maintenance I've needed -other than occasionally shooting grease into the bearings- is I wore the paint off it on the roads on the trip to Alaska and I just repainted it. Looks brand spankin new!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Acme eze tow or American car dolly?

American car dolly and Acme eze tow.
Questions are how to connect towed car wiring like turn signals, brake, tail lights? Do both of these just plug into the RV? I have no clue but suspect I will be cutting wires on my 2002 Camry to complete this. Another concern is the eze tow has 12 inch rims. How many miles should I expect to get on a set of 12 inch versus the 14 inch on the other? Eze tow has electric or hydraulic brakes while the American brand has electric. Both should be acceptable I believe.

Please chime in with your thoughts and experiences.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
EDIT: I looked up your model so I guess what I said about my 2860 doesn't compair to yours. Sorry. Still would give it a test drive before throwing parts at it.

For your light hookup take a look at etrailer.com you might be able to find what you need there. As far as cutting wires you might get a pleasant surprise. The worst part of the wiring job on my 2015 Focus was running the wires under the frame laying on the garage floor.

AFAIK your don't need lights on your vehicle when it is on a dolly. I don't agree with that.

When I was using a dolly I used a set of magnetic lights as well as the dolly lights. I got a 4-wire "y" connector and used it. In my opinion I used the dolly lights as well as the magnetic lights as a safety factor. I feel that the visibility to the rear is much improved. I have seen way to many dollies with a light out and the fact that they are down low is also a problem. Even when they are both working I never liked the fact that you had six feet of overhang past the lights.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
American car dolly and Acme eze tow.
Questions are how to connect towed car wiring like turn signals, brake, tail lights? Do both of these just plug into the RV? I have no clue but suspect I will be cutting wires on my 2002 Camry to complete this. Another concern is the eze tow has 12 inch rims. How many miles should I expect to get on a set of 12 inch versus the 14 inch on the other? Eze tow has electric or hydraulic brakes while the American brand has electric. Both should be acceptable I believe.

Please chime in with your thoughts and experiences.
I cannot speak for anything but the EZE TOW, but you just plug it into your RV, with the surge brake there is nothing else to do. I have not seen anyone complain or have issue with the surge brakes as long as proper maintenance is performed and fluid maintained.
As far as the lights the EZE Tow is very clear and bright and not required to have anything else; however, many do add rear bar light of some type just for added safety factor. You can get a Y for the dolly plug and wire the bar up that way and it will work in conjunction with the dolly lights. Etrailer is a very good source for this and the extra lights.

Good Luck
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly