Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Tow dolly questions/help

Last year I bought a brand new Master tow dolly with straps. I guess these are standard straps. I can't remove them by myself.
I now have heard there are adjustable straps and I have seen them on Master tow dollies web site although I seriously can't make head or tails out of the picture, no description,
Can someone here enlighten me. I travel alone and I tend to stay in one place longer than I like because I feel stuck.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What keeps you from removing them yourself? Are the ratchets to hard to release?

Old 02-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

I have the adjustable straps from tow master, they came with the dolly I purchased used.

The straps have multiple loops in the strap that goes over the top of the tire and some more loops on the strap with the hook on it, you choose the proper loop based on the size of your tire, small, medium or large, then there is a round ring that the strap goes through which you have to adjust to make it all fit the wheel.

It sounds more complicated than it really is here is a link to load their manual but like you said not laid out the best.

MASTER TOW INC. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :

Sounds like you are struggling with what you have, can you check back where you bought it or go to a trailer shop or uhaul for some assistance? Or go to a rv park we all stick together and I am sure you can ask someone who has a dolly for help.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago I used a tow dolly. Hated it. When I bought different toad, Made sure I got one I could tow four tires on the road. There is a world of difference in the two methods. Meanwhile, do not hesitate to ask someone for advice if they also have a tow dolly.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Dennis,
I have a 2010 Mastertow 80HDEB and have not had any issues.I think if you contact Mastertow directly they will be glad to help you.I have the straps that have a buckle on the outside of the tire side that I can adjust for different size tires.I don't have any pics. to show you.Good Luck and Safe Travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Dennis,
I have a 2010 Mastertow THDEB and have not had any issues.I think if you contact Mastertow directly they will be glad to help you.I have the straps that have a buckle on the outside of the tire side that I can adjust for different size tires.I don't have any pics. to show you.Good Luck and Safe Travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have these standard/common web-strap winches like shown in this YouTube...to unlock the winch, OPEN THE LEVER ALL THE WAY (make the winch flat from top to bottom) which releases the ratchet lock.

If it is too tight to unlock by hand, you can squeeze the lever spring clip while prying the rachet lock open with a screw-driver or similar small lever.

Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #8

FWIW I had to wait to see the name on the tongue to know it was a Master tow not a Stehle tow. The strap hooks are the same so the straps should be interchangeable. Might help somebody in a pinch. ;-)
Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
What keeps you from removing them yourself? Are the ratchets to hard to release?
First, thanks everyone. I saw the video with the wheel and it is a joke,
Yes Dennis, I tow 12/1300 miles and the straps are tight and even with help they are hard to remove. I am going to order new straps from tow master. I want to be able to move easily.
I have been away, visiting without my rig or computer.
Scarab, I can't open your message.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
First, thanks everyone. I saw the video with the wheel and it is a joke...

...Scarab, I can't open your message.
I only posted the YouTube video with comment in post #7 (above)...no other message.

Our dolly uses the style strap winches in the video and they can be very tight if unloading when there is a slight turn in the RV-Dolly-Car set-up, but still always can be removed.

Best luck with the new straps fixing the issue.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an american tow dolly but a similar strap setup but without the "buckle" on the strap and have no issues. You can look at them to order also, just be sure to get the deluxe set they are a little nicer. or you can look here, just ensure you get the right type of hook. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #12

My dolly use a basic simple ratchet for locking down the straps.

I use a big old 1 1/8 wrench to tighten and the same to reliese.

Just pull to tighten a bit and move the lock dog out of the way and let off on the wrench.

The one with the built in handle can be a pain sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457094432636.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	120473  
Old 03-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #13

I'm getting ready to FT and DW wants to keep her Accord, so I bought a used Master Tow with no brakes. Is this a problem? All of the videos I have seen do not have brakes and if brakes are required- why would they even sell a unit w/o brakes?
Also- do I need brakes on the Accord as well (just the rear wheels on the ground)?
This all new to me, so thanks to those that have been there and done it!
Old 03-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamyb View Post
I'm getting ready to FT and DW wants to keep her Accord, so I bought a used Master Tow with no brakes. Is this a problem? All of the videos I have seen do not have brakes and if brakes are required- why would they even sell a unit w/o brakes?
Also- do I need brakes on the Accord as well (just the rear wheels on the ground)?
This all new to me, so thanks to those that have been there and done it!
Having no brakes is only a problem if the conditions are met that requires that you have brakes.

For the answer to that, you need to check with every state you travel in.

I tow a small car on a heavy loaded class C. I want all the brake action I can get.

No brakes needed on car if on a dolly.

Tags
tow, tow dolly, dolly