Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

Tow Dolly questions, Lighting and registration

Just received and assembled my KarKaddySS, Very impressive.

Will be towing my Cobalt on the dolly behind my Class A.

A: does the dolly need to be registered as a trailer or something else?

B: Do I need supplemental lighting on the car if the Dolly has Running, brake, and turn, lights and the Coach LED lights are Clearly visible above and aside the car.

Seems Redundant.

I appreciate your responses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Iwould think you should check your local laws on this subject and go from there. Someone from your state here might chime in and tell you the laws on this. In Pennsylvania the lights on the dolly was all you needed and no plates for dollys in Penna.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
TGR

I have the same dolly. I had to register it as a trailer in NJ, but needed no additional lights.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #4

I have the 460 ss dolly, even though it comes with a title in most states the dolly does not require a registration or tag. Check your state laws. I have additional lights for my tow but not because they are required. I place the additional lights far enough forward so i can see them in the backup camera. This way i know that my tow lights and turn lights are working.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No license or registration...
See the bottom of this CT DMV page: DMV: Requirements for the Registration of a Camp Trailer

Lights are not mentioned but are usually only required on the car being towed if the dolly is not lighted...but I default to your local Po-Lice.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

Perfect

A tow dolly is exempt from the registration requirements of chapter 246 of the Connecticut general statutes. A "tow dolly" means a two-wheeled trailer without motive power that is towed by a motor vehicle, that is designed and used to tow another motor vehicle, and upon which the front or rear wheels of the towed motor vehicle are mounted while the other wheels of the towed motor vehicle remain in contact with the ground. These types of trailers are often rented, and therefore move from state to state.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GULFSTREAM37,
The answers to both questions depend on the state where you live. For me, in Florida, no tag is needed. Lights on the towed vehicle are required. I have a suction cup light bar. Simple and cheap.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi GULFSTREAM37,
The answers to both questions depend on the state where you live. For me, in Florida, no tag is needed. Lights on the towed vehicle are required. I have a suction cup light bar. Simple and cheap.
Be sure to stop a few times to check the tightness of the wheel straps. I stop at .5 miles, 10 miles, 25 miles, then check then anytime we stop there after.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Registration depends on your home state. Lighting also depends on your state requirements. Some state that nothing that is unlighted shall extend 2 to 4' past the rear of the vehicle. when we towed on a dolly, I had a set of lights on the rear of the car as well as the dolly lights.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
Perfect.
Glad to have helped

Ditto X3 on the "check your straps" comment...that's the weakest point on any tow dolly (even on my super-duper EZE-Tow) and these problems are easily avoided with a quick check for tightness each time you stop.

And, I will add that a "quick touch" of the hubs when you stop is a good thing to do - would help to avoid hub bearing damage from heat build-up (if it ever happens - that's the first sign)

Best of luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsha View Post

Be sure to stop a few times to check the tightness of the wheel straps. I stop at .5 miles, 10 miles, 25 miles, then check then anytime we stop there after.
Do you find the straps loose @ .5, 10, 25, and there after? In other words, do they come loose all the time or are you just being very careful? Stopping once to do a check and then at fueling, rest stops, etc. should be enough or should I worry that these straps will and do come loose?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #12

We have found them needing to be tightned at
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #13

We have found them needing to be tightned at the lower milages. Nothing after 25, but i check the tow and dolly each stop.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I used to have this dolley and it took me a while getting to know how to use it. It is a great dolly! There are two important things that I leaned about mine:
1. When you pull your car on the dolly make sure it is straight, ie. both of the front vehicle tires are flush to the front part of the dolley. Otherwise the straps will really get loose. You would have to keep tightening the straps until the vehicle aligns itself to the front of the dolley.
2. When you are driving the car over the ramps, make sure the back parts of both ramps are are sled as far to the front part of the ramps. If not, due to the weight of the vehicle, the ramp(s) will sag. If you continue driving over the sagged ramp you will damage your vehicle and possible the two dolley.

Lastly, if you are going over a road with sharp curves make sure to keep an eye on the straps as they get loose when the vehicle front wheels are turned sharply.

Tags
dolly