Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #15
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
rmueller,
The one negative comment was the surge brake system must be disabled to back up without sliding the wheels.
Good luck.
Bill
I have a piece of wood with a bungee that I jam into the space behind the surge brake at the hitch and secure with the bungee. Works great to disable the brakes so you can back it up. Also put the pin in place to lock the rack and pinion wheels and it backs up just fine.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #16

Even though I didn't start this post, thanks to all for tips which helped me.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm another happy ACME Eze Tow owner, (since last July). It's been very easy to use and tows great.

Regarding other posts:

1. It's very lightweight and easy to maneuver around, as the tongue weight is under 30 lbs.
2. With it's very low profile, I can store mine underneath the rear of the motorhome when at campgrounds. After unloading the toad, I usually manually position it at the end of the pad where I'm going to setup, and backup the coach over it. When leaving, I just pull forward a little and hitch. Easy!
3. It can easily be stored standing up, (it's shipped that way). Just protect the tail lights with two little blocks of wood for the trailer frame to sit on, so that you do not crush the lenses.
4. For backing-up, a little metal insert, (temporarily taped into place), is provided that disables the brakes. It can be backed up!
5. It's built completely from off-the-shelf parts. Replacement parts are easy to find, and cheap. Northern Tool sells replacement plastic fenders, (one of mine was cracked by a tire-retread "alligator").

I purchased mine very slightly used for $1,000. The person that owned mine moved over to a 5th wheel, so he only used it once, and it was virtually brand new, (and nicely assembled).

When I was shopping, I found several ACME Eze tow units from people that had upgraded to flat towing, or didn't use it anymore. Check Craigslist/Ebay in your area.

If you do get an ACME Eze tow, make sure to get proper sized wheel straps for your tires. I tow a small Toyota Prius, with 14" tires, and the original yellow straps are almost too big. However, for most standard cars, the original yellow "basket straps" are actually too small. They now provide blue basket straps that fit most medium sized vehicles a little better.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
I'm another happy ACME Eze Tow owner, (since last July). It's been very easy to use and tows great.

Regarding other posts:

If you do get an ACME Eze tow, make sure to get proper sized wheel straps for your tires. I tow a small Toyota Prius, with 14" tires, and the original yellow straps are almost too big. However, for most standard cars, the original yellow "basket straps" are actually too small. They now provide blue basket straps that fit most medium sized vehicles a little better.
Certainly agree on the tow straps. My murano tires were too big for the standard straps. Eze Tow sent me new larger straps that fit much better. Unfortunately, the way the straps clip on to the slots puts them directly under the tires and I am continuously crushing the retaining clips. I'm considering buying new straps with the flat clip ends to replace them.
But other than that I really like the Eze Tow and would buy again.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #19

FWIW I find I can muscle the Stehl tow on flat ground but flat is the key. The rest of the time I have a ball on the riding lawn mower and a hitch on our Escape that will move it as needed. As a last resort a come along. ;-)
Old 05-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #20

I put a 4 inch caster wheel, just behind the coupler, on my Stehl Tow dolly.
I push 1 fender, the DW, pushs the other and off we go.
We only fight when she trys to go right and I go left.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #21

Very unhappy Acme Tow Dolly Owner

Hello fellow members, I wanted to let other be aware of the short comings of the new Acme Tow Dolly.

1 First tried to used the Acme Tow Dolly on my wife's 2013 Lincoln MKZ and found that the car would bottom out on the front tire stop. I had to try and lift the front end while my friend drove the car off the dolly.

2 So I decided to tow my 2015 MKX and found that their new deck with elongated holes don't have an anchor point that will allow the outside hook to mount on the side of the tire. The hook ends up under the tire and causes issues for removing the hook when it comes time to take the car off of the dolly.

I guess if you have a car that is small and high enough this would be a good dolly but it sure has issues with the two cars that I own. I have decided to sell the dolly and tow four down. I hope this post will help someone else from making a $2100.00 mistake.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFDolde View Post
Hello fellow members, I wanted to let other be aware of the short comings of the new Acme Tow Dolly.

1 First tried to used the Acme Tow Dolly on my wife's 2013 Lincoln MKZ and found that the car would bottom out on the front tire stop. I had to try and lift the front end while my friend drove the car off the dolly.

2 So I decided to tow my 2015 MKX and found that their new deck with elongated holes don't have an anchor point that will allow the outside hook to mount on the side of the tire. The hook ends up under the tire and causes issues for removing the hook when it comes time to take the car off of the dolly.

I guess if you have a car that is small and high enough this would be a good dolly but it sure has issues with the two cars that I own. I have decided to sell the dolly and tow four down. I hope this post will help someone else from making a $2100.00 mistake.
Rather than be upset and try to caution folks away from Acme, you've demonstrated that you need to try before you buy. Those issues would have been very clear had you tested to see if the dolly would accommodate your vehicles. Body width, front skirt height, tire and wheel size, track width, are just some of the things to consider when sizing a dolly and vehicle. It's not Acme's fault, they didn't guaranty your car would fit, did they?

Also, you're really not out $2,100, if you sell your dolly for a decent price you'll only be out the difference between purchase and sale price.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFDolde View Post

There is something else going on with these reported issues...
...I have towed several types of cars on our EZE-Tow, including an Infinity luxury sedan (can't get much lower than that).

The front tire stop is only a small lip. If it was hitting the car's underbody or fascia, then the dolly tongue was probably to high at the hitch. Tongue height should be 14"-16" per mfgt. guidance.

The rear strap connections/hooks should never be "under" the car's tires. The car's tires should be forward/against the dolly's tire stop, leaving plenty of room at the rear frame for the strap hooks.

IMHO, the EZE-Tow is as simple as a good hammer and works just as well. A call for help is as easy as a phone call to Acme...or other owner's here.

Any chance of giving it another try?

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
?....
The rear strap connections/hooks should never be "under" the car's tires. The car's tires should be forward/against the dolly's tire stop, leaving plenty of room at the rear frame for the strap hooks.

Best luck
I have exactly the same problem with my Murano. The width if my vehicle/tire size leaves me no choice but to end up with one hook under at least one of the tires. This ends up crushing the safety latches and makes unhooking very difficult.

I think the Acme folks are good and have been very responsive to other issues I have had. But I don't see any other fix for this problem other than buying straps with flat ends to clip under the lower lip.

I have not had any problem with the car bottoming out.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
There is something else going on with these reported issues...
...I have towed several types of cars on our EZE-Tow, including an Infinity luxury sedan (can't get much lower than that).

The front tire stop is only a small lip. If it was hitting the car's underbody or fascia, then the dolly tongue was probably to high at the hitch. Tongue height should be 14"-16" per mfgt. guidance.

IMHO, the EZE-Tow is as simple as a good hammer and works just as well. A call for help is as easy as a phone call to Acme...or other owner's here.

Any chance of giving it another try?

Best luck
I am having the exact same problem with the hooks being under the tires. If you have a wide wheelbase then there is no place to hook the strap other than under the tire. If you have larger tires, then there is no room at the rear frame for the strap hooks to connect without touching the tires. My wheelbase is under the maximum size stated by Acme as the maximum allowed for their dolly.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Rather than be upset and try to caution folks away from Acme, you've demonstrated that you need to try before you buy. Those issues would have been very clear had you tested to see if the dolly would accommodate your vehicles. Body width, front skirt height, tire and wheel size, track width, are just some of the things to consider when sizing a dolly and vehicle. It's not Acme's fault, they didn't guaranty your car would fit, did they?

Also, you're really not out $2,100, if you sell your dolly for a decent price you'll only be out the difference between purchase and sale price.
It would have been a great idea to try the dolly before purchasing HOWEVER not everyone lives within an easy commute to their location, i.e., why they offer shipping for $350. If the car fits within the specs stated by Acme, then there is a problem.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
Hi all, I am looking at this dolly has anyone used it or have an opinion on it? The only thing I see that I don't like is that it is drum breaks, I do have a break controller and like the removable ramps. I also need one were the front wheels can be locked, I will be towing my wife jetta sport wagon. Thanks!
I think it is a great dolly! I had ordered one but they weren't able to deliver before I needed it so I had to get something else. Wish they could have made it though. I have read a lot of good reviews about it. They will deliver to your house and show you all you need to know about it.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking back at jondrew's post on another thread, I can see part of the problem with wide tires resting on a strap hook..so I offer a suggestion...

Our Eze-Tow looks like this, with loops for the straps...so it is different:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-39.jpeg
Views:	1203
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	93328

But, the new ones have that rack set-up...this is jondrew's photo:

Name:	IMG_2136_zpspddjbefz.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	93329

So, since it looks like there is no way to get that outboard strap away from the tire sidewall, why not acquire a loading eyelet/rope coupler or piece of chain to allow the strap hook to be placed where you want it...

Name:	MTL9784330K_0.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	93330 
Name:   071514010304lg.jpeg
Views: 581
Size:  19.9 KB

How To: On the hook that is too tight to the tire - Slip the hook into the slot in the dolly, then secure it in the slot with the coupler/chain link from underneath. When tightening the strap, it should rest against the tire...but not get stuck/crushed under it.
I am suggesting a hoop vs. a bolt or pin to prevent the hook from being able to ever come free on it's own.

Adapt - Overcome

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly