Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Actually we were thinking we would put the new link on the tow dolly in the same position that the strap is currently attached in the picture. The new link should prevent the strap hook from getting damaged by the weight of the tire on it. Hopefully the strap hook will not be caught under the tire with the new link. Our tires are wider than the ones in the picture and I don't think your method would work for us plus the new link would just slip through the slots in the tow dolly. However, until we get the car on the dolly and play with it, we really aren't sure how this will work.

Hating having this on my mind when we are suppose to be on vacation. Worse case scenario is that we wind up driving the car home separately.
__________________

__________________
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #44
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,047
Well, that would work too...the strap w/ link will just be a bit longer than the strap alone, but will still impact the tire at the same point as without the link.

My suggestion was intended to get the strap hook away from the tire. It should not slip through the rack slot because the link would be stuck at 90 degrees off the hook when under tension.

Hope you can post some photos of it with your links installed.

Best luck
__________________

__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Well, that would work too...the strap w/ link will just be a bit longer than the strap alone, but will still impact the tire at the same point as without the link.

My suggestion was intended to get the strap hook away from the tire. It should not slip through the rack slot because the link would be stuck at 90 degrees off the hook when under tension.

Hope you can post some photos of it with your links installed.

Best luck
Adding the link does still impact the tire at the same point, however, (hopefully) the hook on the tire strap will not be underneath the tire getting bent up. Our hooks are now mashed so badly that they don't even close and it's almost impossible to get them unhooked to get the car off once we arrive at our destination. With the additional link, we should be able to get the car off easier and the hook shouldn't be getting damaged . . . . hopefully. We would love to get the link/hook out from underneath the tire but the tires are very close to touching the end of the dolly (near the fender) so there is no other place to hook them.

I just wish that Acme had not recently redesigned the attachment point for the straps. With the previous setup, we wouldn't be having this problem. I was quite surprised when the dolly arrived with these new modifications which were different than the ones shown on their website prior to my purchase.

I really appreciate your advice on my problem. Thanks!!
__________________
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #46
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,047
OK...one last idea, then I promise to shut-up.

You say your tires are near the rear of the dolly frame right next to the fender (big tires/wide track!)...so, last ditch - forget about using the dolly's rack and put the strap hooks on the back frame edge (see arrows).

If the spring clips are too bent to easily operate, they will just keep fighting you anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ezetowedit.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	93548

So sorry you are having an issue...the strap loops on our EZE-Tow obviously allow a wider selection of tire/track sizes than the rack design.

Best luck
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
...
So sorry you are having an issue...the strap loops on our EZE-Tow obviously allow a wider selection of tire/track sizes than the rack design.

Best luck
The redesign incorporated into the latest EZ-Tow models seems to be an unforeseen failure.

It's very obvious that cutting slots, (instead of welding the loop tabs), in the existing trailer frame was devised to save money.

Hopefully, someone at ACME is peeking at this thread.
__________________
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #48
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
OK...one last idea, then I promise to shut-up.

You say your tires are near the rear of the dolly frame right next to the fender (big tires/wide track!)...so, last ditch - forget about using the dolly's rack and put the strap hooks on the back frame edge (see arrows).

If the spring clips are too bent to easily operate, they will just keep fighting you anyway.

Attachment 93548

So sorry you are having an issue...the strap loops on our EZE-Tow obviously allow a wider selection of tire/track sizes than the rack design.

Best luck
No please don't stop, I really appreciate all your suggestions.

With regard to putting the strap hooks directly on the frame edge - our straps are barely holding the 20" tires on the dolly now. The straps are on the backside of the tires with the last/third one on the top of the tire. If we put the hooks on the lower part of the frame, instead of in the top slots, we would loose even more of the strap holding the tire because of the lower rail.

Our problem is two-fold. The straps are too small for the tires and the channel the tire sits in is too narrow for the tire. I definitely wish I had the steel strap loops instead of the slots in the rail.

Keep thinking
__________________
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #49
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
The redesign incorporated into the latest EZ-Tow models seems to be an unforeseen failure.

It's very obvious that cutting slots, (instead of welding the loop tabs), in the existing trailer frame was devised to save money.

Hopefully, someone at ACME is peeking at this thread.
This latest modification has definitely caused us problems.

I was hoping someone from Acme would chime in also, I've seen them post on several other threads. Unfortunately my cell service is spotty at best in this location whereas my computer's aircard is working alittle better. I just have to type real fast before I lose the signal. Sometimes it takes several times to get one response posted. If Acme can't provide any assistance on here, I'll try them again when I get home.
__________________
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #50
Senior Member
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 151
The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

A few notes. If you are towing a vehicle with a very wide front track there is a simple solution to the outside hook attachment. If you send us an email we will send you a picture showing you a very quick and simple solution.
The new punched slots work very well for all cars except the few that have very wide front tracks. 95% of cars towed on dollies have smaller front tracks. We have a simple solution for that.
Please send us pictures of your straps installed on your tires. Although we have advised once before that they were fine , you are still concerned. I would like to look at it again please. We have a very large set of straps but they be way too big.
The new design of this dolly, including the new formed fender assemblies actually costs us $78.00 per dolly more to build. The design was not made to save manufacturing costs. The changes were made to make the product easier and more reliable to use. For some reason it is always the public assumption that every change is only to save money. We make changes to our design every time we see a good reason to do so. It has never, never saved money, it has always added cost to the design.
We sell thousands of dollies a year. The design works extremely well for 98% of people, for the other 2% we have simple solutions for anything they may encounter.
__________________
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #51
Senior Member
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 151
Also, in the picture above, two things. Understand that you can take those hooks out to another slot, they do not have to go straight down. Also, if you turn the strap over, the clips will be facing out, therefore being more protected from the tire. It looks to me like the outside clip has plenty of room and the inside clip is encroaching on the tire space. Just take the inside clip and move it out one more slot and the snap hook will be out of harms way. The picture shows your tires have plenty of room on the dolly pan, you say that they do not fit on the dolly but in the picture they look fine. We have a lot of people towing vehicles with 20" tires trouble free. 20s are pretty common now.
Send pictures please. Thanks
__________________
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
A few notes. If you are towing a vehicle with a very wide front track there is a simple solution to the outside hook attachment. If you send us an email we will send you a picture showing you a very quick and simple solution.
The new punched slots work very well for all cars except the few that have very wide front tracks. 95% of cars towed on dollies have smaller front tracks. We have a simple solution for that.
Please send us pictures of your straps installed on your tires. Although we have advised once before that they were fine , you are still concerned. I would like to look at it again please. We have a very large set of straps but they be way too big.
The new design of this dolly, including the new formed fender assemblies actually costs us $78.00 per dolly more to build. The design was not made to save manufacturing costs. The changes were made to make the product easier and more reliable to use. For some reason it is always the public assumption that every change is only to save money. We make changes to our design every time we see a good reason to do so. It has never, never saved money, it has always added cost to the design.
We sell thousands of dollies a year. The design works extremely well for 98% of people, for the other 2% we have simple solutions for anything they may encounter.
First off, thanks for coming on and providing me some assistance. The previous pictures I sent you were prior to our trip and you did stated that our straps were fine as shown in the pic. However, we did not realize until we got to our first location that our hooks were damaged by the tires.
It's great that you have a simple solution, that would have saved me a lot of anguish and expense over this problem. We have had two stops on this trip and it has been very frustrating having this problem. I will send another email so that I can get this solution.

I never stated that this new improvement was a cost saving measure - that was another poster. I only stated that this improvement did not seem to help our situation.
__________________
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Also, in the picture above, two things. Understand that you can take those hooks out to another slot, they do not have to go straight down. Also, if you turn the strap over, the clips will be facing out, therefore being more protected from the tire. It looks to me like the outside clip has plenty of room and the inside clip is encroaching on the tire space. Just take the inside clip and move it out one more slot and the snap hook will be out of harms way. The picture shows your tires have plenty of room on the dolly pan, you say that they do not fit on the dolly but in the picture they look fine. We have a lot of people towing vehicles with 20" tires trouble free. 20s are pretty common now.
Send pictures please. Thanks
Those pictures posted above are NOT my vehicle and were posted by a very helpful Scarab0088. It was to illustrate an example of a possible solution. My car tires are much wider than those in the picture and there is much less space between the fender and my tires. I cannot take the hook out to another slot because I am already at the end position. Irregardless of which direction I place the hook, it is still getting caught under the tire and is damaged when we arrive at our destination. I will resend my pics.
__________________

__________________
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review of the ACME EZE-TOW Tow Dolly EZE Tow Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 30 Yesterday 09:47 AM
Question about towing with a tow dolly. LWC-1979 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 13 07-25-2014 03:49 PM
Flat tow versus Dolly KiheiKen Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 23 04-04-2014 06:57 PM
Tow DOLLY car cover / rock guard bruce Dixon Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 03-04-2014 05:09 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.