Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tow dolly recommendations

I've been looking at tow dollies.

Couple of questions...

Hydraulic or electric brakes?
Brake controller needed - yes/no, given that's the dolly controls it's own brakes, I think no...but thought I'd ask.
Any brand recommendations?

The acme tow dolly looks pretty reasonable, around $1900 all in...Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Acme is a good brand, So are Demco, Master Tow, and Roadmaster.
Tow Dollies | Demco Products
MASTER TOW INC.
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

You may wish to read this article for good information on tow dollies.

Choosing The Right RV Tow Dolly So You Can Tow A Car Behind Your Motorhome | The Fun Times Guide to RVing

Electric brakes require wiring from the driver's seat back to the trailer and a brake controller. Surge brakes compress a piston when the dolly starts to push on the tow bar and it automatically applies hydraulic brakes. Surge brakes are much simpler and cheaper to deal with.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a Demco KarKaddy SS. Wheels steer and has surge brakes but not the latest disk brakes. Works very well to tow something as large as an Odyssey although we tow it four down now. We paid just over $2,200 incl delivery for it in about 2005 or 2006. Assembled it in front of the retirement center where I work during a snow storm and towed it home.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a master tow dolly with surge disc brakes, works great. We tow a 2003 Caravan.
The only glitch is the straps that came with it were not great quality, we bought a more robust set, no problems or issues.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:21 AM   #5

Stiel Tow dolly, surge , disk brakes, turntable, good straps.

$1600.00, hooked it on the ball, at the store, pulled on the car, strapped it down and took off.

No controller needed, just plugged in 4 wire, flat connector, for the fender mounted lights.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:40 AM   #6

Using a Stehl tow. Works well now that the straps are stretched into shape. ;-)

FWIW There different approaches. Some need the steering locked and some unlocked. Stehl is locked so easier to deal with.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:50 AM   #7

Here's a recent thread I started

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/got-m...ay-235657.html

(Sorry, the URL link isn't working)

I went with the Eze Tow. I tow a Nissan Murano, about 3500 pounds. It tows well, sets up fairly easily, requires steering wheel to be unlocked, has hydraulic surge brakes. It can stand upright in your garage so it's compact to store.

Only complaints I have are mostly related to getting set up (like getting the safety chains on) and probably apply to all tow dollies.

Make sure your vehicle is towable (ie some RWD cars transmissions and AWD cars cannot be dolly towed)
Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, thanks for all the great advice and information. I decided to go with the Demco KarKaddy3 (its not the one with the folding tongue). Even though it doesn't fold up, the unit slides under the RV just fine. I really like the idea that the wheels on the dolly turn, making towing a bit easier.

I almost went with a two year old Demco SS, but the guy has it priced the same as the KarKaddy3 new; $2800. Since I don't need the folding unit, I think I'll be better off with a new unit and a warrantee.

ron.
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:49 AM   #9

Just do yourself a favor and stretch the straps on a shortish drive with a lot of turns and places to stop to tighten them. It's the same for all brands as it is the strap weave moving around as it tightens up. Repeat for new straps. ;-)

FWIW every stop I take a walk around to stretch and check the hub temps on everything, check straps for tight, etc. A quick feel will tell you if anything is hotter than expected and maybe a problem coming. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #10

rmueller,

Keep me posted when you get some miles on the Kar Kaddy. I posted for owner comments about the dolly on this site. The one negative comment was the surge brake system must be disabled to back up without sliding the wheels.

Good luck.

Bill
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi all, I am looking at this dolly has anyone used it or have an opinion on it? The only thing I see that I don't like is that it is drum breaks, I do have a break controller and like the removable ramps. I also need one were the front wheels can be locked, I will be towing my wife jetta sport wagon. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
rmueller,

Keep me posted when you get some miles on the Kar Kaddy. I posted for owner comments about the dolly on this site. The one negative comment was the surge brake system must be disabled to back up without sliding the wheels.

Good luck.

Bill
Most surge brake systems can be disabled with a pin or latch to prevent the piston from compressing and applying the brakes. For such rare occasions as needing to back up, jumping out, inserting the pin to back isn't that big an issue for the safety of brakes when moving forward. After all, if towing with a tow bar you aren't supposed to back up at all.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #13

BFlinn181,

My area of concern is to put the dolly back in my driveway at the end of the trip. It weighs about 600 lbs. which is too much for me too muscle.

I know I will unload the KIA on the street but I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to put the dolly in the driveway. The MH and dolly both must be backed into the driveway, either together or independently.

Bill
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
You could put a hitch on the Kia to back the dolly up the driveway. Lot's easier to back and maneuver than the RV. The hitch would also be useful in a campground where there's no on site storage for the dolly, use the car to pull the dolly to a parking spot.

Bob & Donna

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly