Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow dolly registration in VIRGINIA

I received the title for the Acme EZE Tow that was delivered 2 weeks ago. I've been researching title requirements and naturally found conflicting information.

The VA DMV site says:
A trailer can be defined as a vehicle without motor power designed for carrying property or passengers wholly on its own structure and that is drawn by a motor vehicle, including tow dollies and converter gear (§ 46.2-100).
Trailers can be registered annually, bi-annually or permanently. The trailer registration fee is based on the gross weight of the trailer and the registration period selected. Insurance coverage for trailers depends on the insurance coverage of the vehicle pulling the trailer.

Te above references VA Code 46.2-100, which is just a list of definitions. The definition of a trailer in VA is:
"Trailer" means every vehicle without motive power designed for carrying property or passengers wholly on its own structure and for being drawn by a motor vehicle, including manufactured homes.

Notice that it says "carrying property or passengers wholly on its own structure". A tow dolly does not carry anything WHOLLY on its own structure.

The actual VA code supports this by saying:
§ 46.2-1119. Tow dolly and converter gear.

No axle-like device, commonly called a "tow dolly," used to support the front or rear wheels of a passenger vehicle or pick-up or panel truck for towing purposes, and no axle-like device, commonly called "converter gear," on which is mounted a fifth wheel used to convert a semitrailer to a full trailer, shall be considered vehicles. Either such device, when used on the public highways, shall be equipped with a safety chain or chains of a strength to restrain the device and vehicle being towed, should the connection fail. In addition, either device, when moved on the public highway, shall be equipped with rear marker lights or reflectors when towed without a load. When a tow dolly or converter gear is used to tow a vehicle, the towed vehicle must comply with all requirements of law pertaining to towed vehicles.

(1984, c. 182, § 46.1-336.1; 1989, c. 727.)

Additionally, VA says the following about registering tow dollies:
§ 46.2-648.1. Optional registration of tow dolly and converter gear.

The Department may, upon request, register any tow dolly or converter gear as defined in § 46.2-1119. For the purpose of determining the applicable fee for any such registration, the tow dolly or converter gear shall be considered a trailer and the registration fee determined in accordance with § 46.2-694.1. The fee for reserved numbers or letters on license plates for any tow dolly or converter gear shall be determined in accordance with § 46.2-726.

(1999, c. 593.)

In short, this tells me that a tow dolly is not a trailer and registration is optional. Notice the second quote starts out with "The Department may, upon request, register..." I read that as the legislation allowing the DMV to register a tow dolly upon request from the owner. The first quote clearly establishes that tow dollies are NOT vehicles. How do you interpret these?

In case you're wondering, No, I haven't called the DMV yet because I want the correct answer. The description on their webpage is carelessly wrong, or its intended to get us to needlessly register our tow dollies thereby bringing in more revenue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW!! What a fantastic post with all these specific citations.

CONGRATS on the smart decision to Dolly Tow...your car will be very happy and safe, up high away from rock strikes and free of the mileage toll on the lower driveline like flat towed cars.

Yes, VA like many states make tags on a Tow Dolly optional - and, the DMV will issue you Perm Trailer plates if you want. Sometimes safe if going to places that require tags, like Mexico.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a FAQ on the DMV website that just says these things in simple terms?

Suggest keeping the original title in a safe place to make selling it someday easier - because the new buyer may not understand all these rules.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

I live in VA and did not tag my dolly when we had one in prior years.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I won't be registering mine either. Thank you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
dolly, tow dolly