Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #29

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #30
Let me try to re-state my opinion.
The question was if steering ability was necessary, not if it was something nice to have or if it helped tracking.
So I answered the question as asked, and the answer is 'No, it is not necessary.'
Steering/pivot is something that most of you gentlemen wanted or desired, but it's not necessary for the dolly to function. My dolly does not have it and my dolly functions just fine for me.
There seems to be a difference of opinion as to the meaning of the words 'want' and 'need'. You gentlemen 'wanted' steering/pivot ability and purchased accordingly, but you didn't 'need' it, or my dolly would be required to have it too.
So it comes down to this, I'm sure all of you did about the same thing that I did when it came time to buy a dolly, we looked at the various models and compared quality, function, abilities, and price. Then we chose the one that was best suited for our individual needs and bought it.
I think my dolly is better for me and yours is better for you, and I doubt that we are going to convince each other to change our views.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #31
Originally Posted by wanart View Post
Hi All,

Maybe you can clear something up for me.

I am considering the purchase of the Acme Eze-tow dolly. This dolly has no steering of any kind. Instead it relies on the steering of the towed vehicle. Since that is what happens in flat towing, it seems logical to me that it would work just as well with a dolly.

On the other hand, every other dolly manufacturer has built in either caster steering, or a pivoting bed. There must be a reason for that.

Is some kind of steering ability on the dolly necessary? If so, why?

Thanks in advance.
The OP asked if steering was necessary and commented that every other manufacturer built in some kind of steering system. He also commented "There must be a reason for that". Several of the posters, myself included, tried to explain the reasons for a steering system and the advantges of having it.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #32

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

dolly, steering