Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Tow dolly steering

Hi All,

Maybe you can clear something up for me.

I am considering the purchase of the Acme Eze-tow dolly. This dolly has no steering of any kind. Instead it relies on the steering of the towed vehicle. Since that is what happens in flat towing, it seems logical to me that it would work just as well with a dolly.

On the other hand, every other dolly manufacturer has built in either caster steering, or a pivoting bed. There must be a reason for that.

Is some kind of steering ability on the dolly necessary? If so, why?

Thanks in advance.

Art

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
JDT

Good question. This probably won't help with your question, but when I went thru the agony of deciding to use a tow dolly, I looked long and hard at the Acme. While I liked the concept and price, I finally decided it would not work for me because there is 80" clearance between the fenders and our car is 78" wide. Not much room to spare. I was concerned that a sharp turn would possibly put the fender into the side of our car with only an inch to spare on each side, if I was able to line it up just right. The other reason was I would have to leave the ignition in the accessory position to unlock the steering wheel. Without pulling some fuses some things would be on possibly running down my battery.

Just my thoughts. I'll be interested to see what those who have practical experience have to say about it and see if my thinking was flawed. There are a few posts about the Acme dolly if you do a search.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

I think with a pivoting dolly, it would follow the track of the MH, making it easier to go around corners without cutting the corner to close. On the Acme, unlocking the steering would probably accomplish the same thing. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
This thread has been ongoing for some time...you might get something from it.

Has Anyone Tried the Acme Trailer Eze-Tow?
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
This thread has been ongoing for some time...you might get something from it.

Has Anyone Tried the Acme Trailer Eze-Tow?
Sorry. I've read every message in that thread more than once. None of them answer the question I posed.

Art
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanart View Post
Sorry. I've read every message in that thread more than once. None of them answer the question I posed.

Art
Yeah, it did sort of go off track a little.

I have a Stehl dolly so I really can't answer the question.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

To answer your question I would have to say to get a tow dolly that has steering. I use a Roadmaster 2000-1 Tow Dolly with Electric brakes and it is a breeze to tow as dolly wheels track in the same path as the rear wheels of my rv.

I would go to www.roadmasterinc.com and check them out. I used my tow dolly for better than 7 years witn no problems, in fact it went to AK and back with no problems. The vehicle I towed was a Honda Civic and now I tow a Ford Escape and both tow very easy and are easy to load and unload. THere was one problem towing the Escape and that was I had to get bigger tie down straps as tires are 16" against the 14" on the Honda.

Can't give you any information on the moveable platforms but would not recommend leaving steering wheel of toad unlocked.

There is also one nice part about the Roadmaster and that is there is a pin that makes the dolly act like a regular trailer when inserted and when removed it makes wheels steerable. I added a tongue jack with a wheel to mine so I can put the pin in after I detach it from RV and can push it wherever I want it to go.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post

Can't give you any information on the moveable platforms but would not recommend leaving steering wheel of toad unlocked.
Thanks for the reply Tom. That is just what I am concerned about, and yet those towing 4 down leave the steering wheel of the toad unlocked. Why wouldn't that work on a dolly just as well?

Art
Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Tom. That is just what I am concerned about, and yet those towing 4 down leave the steering wheel of the toad unlocked. Why wouldn't that work on a dolly just as well?

Art
On a dolly you already have a pivot point, on most dollies anyway, and have a pivot point on top of an existing pivot might make things a little loose. Unlocking the wheel 4 down allows the toad to track behind the MH.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #10

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. It underscores the reason for my question. Most dollies have a pivot point, but the Acme Eze-tow dolly that I am considering does not. To use the Acme one has to leave the toad car steering wheel unlocked, just as one does for flat towing. Is that going to cause problems?

Art
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have towed with a fixed dolly (like the Acme) and I used to own a pivot tray dolly. on the highway the dixed one is fine and quite stable. they don't turn nearly as well as a pivot tray.
With a pivot tray they can wander slightly, especially if the heavy steering end of a car is on the ground.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. It underscores the reason for my question. Most dollies have a pivot point, but the Acme Eze-tow dolly that I am considering does not. To use the Acme one has to leave the toad car steering wheel unlocked, just as one does for flat towing. Is that going to cause problems?

Art
Doesn't ACME recommend towing with the wheel unlocked? I'm pretty sure they do.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

Don't forget that the tow dolly already pivots behind the moho on the hitch ball. That is a pivot point that a tow bar set up does not have. Some dolly manufacturers include a device to allow the front axle of the vehicle in tow to slightly turn in order to facilitate an extremely tight corner. In most cases it really is not necessary for that secondary pivot to rotate more than a few degrees.

Knowledge about towing 4 down does not apply here. Lock the steering column, put it in park, hook up safety chains, tighten the straps and again after 50 miles. Tow your car, her car, the kids car, your buddies car or anything (within weight limits) with front wheel drive!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Don't forget that the tow dolly already pivots behind the moho on the hitch ball. That is a pivot point that a tow bar set up does not have. Some dolly manufacturers include a device to allow the front axle of the vehicle in tow to slightly turn in order to facilitate an extremely tight corner. In most cases it really is not necessary for that secondary pivot to rotate more than a few degrees.

Knowledge about towing 4 down does not apply here. Lock the steering column, put it in park, hook up safety chains, tighten the straps and again after 50 miles. Tow your car, her car, the kids car, your buddies car or anything (within weight limits) with front wheel drive!
Hi Mick,

In this case, I think the comparison to towing 4 down does apply. This particular dolly is fixed. The wheels have no steering and the platform does not pivot. In their online owners manual it says, "If your car uses a locking steering column, we recommend that you leave you keys in the accessory position to allow your wheels to turn freely."

Art

Tags
dolly, steering