Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Dang, is there a, "best way"? I have the dolly, have never used it (yet) with two sets of straps...and this thread is making me want to get a flat-bed trailer
Bama,
Don't let all of these comments influence you. Just put the car on the dolly, strap it down, be sure you replace the king pin underneath and hit the road. Stop after 5 to 10 miles and tighten the straps, if they need it, and you should be good for hundreds of miles. No sweat.

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #16

Depending where you are the first few turns stress the system so the towed shifts as much as it will. Sometimes I can do that just getting out of the campground or doing a long way out. Sometimes I look for a neighborhood I can drive through. I look to end up in a low traffic spot so I can check the straps then hit the road. Usually get a click or two. IF I was getting more than I click or two I would be looking at what I was doing wrong to start.

CHECK every time you stop just before leaving. Most of the time everything is fine. If you are lucky you will do a lot of checking if not some moron will have partly disconnected or loosened something. In 30 years of towing trailers I have found something twice. Both would have lead to spectacular and expensive messes on the highway. Somebody else's idea of fun.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Depending where you are the first few turns stress the system so the towed shifts as much as it will. Sometimes I can do that just getting out of the campground or doing a long way out. Sometimes I look for a neighborhood I can drive through. I look to end up in a low traffic spot so I can check the straps then hit the road. Usually get a click or two. IF I was getting more than I click or two I would be looking at what I was doing wrong to start.

CHECK every time you stop just before leaving. Most of the time everything is fine. If you are lucky you will do a lot of checking if not some moron will have partly disconnected or loosened something. In 30 years of towing trailers I have found something twice. Both would have lead to spectacular and expensive messes on the highway. Somebody else's idea of fun.
Bama, Pay no attention to this well meaning gentleman. I have towed our dolly over 28,000 miles doing what I describe in earlier posts and have NEVER had any problem and have never driven through some neighborhood with tight turns to check things out. This is like trying to kill a fly with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Don
Old 08-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #18

This is why you should have and use safety chains twist the chain unti the slack is taken up and hook into a tow point or another chain that's attached around a frame member. Check your tire straps every time you stop and enjoy the ride. While it is something to keep an eye on its nothing to loose sleep over.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #19

You should not twist a chain to take out all of the slack. The car needs to bounce on it's suspension, when going over bumps.

You need to leave some slack. If the chains are too tight they will stress your connection points and possibly break.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #20

If you can twist and hook a chain that tight you must have one heck of a grip. Just take some of the slack out of the chain to reduce travel if the straps should happen to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #21

The first problem with most cars today is finding a frame member. Not much there on a unibody car. Neither of ours has a point I would put a safety chain on but one strap will keep the car anchored so I check both.

Only an idiot would go into a place they could not get easily out of. I have never had a problem with my routine though as there is always a place where I can pull it off in a nice curvy sub division or main streets and a big parking lot to check in.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly