Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Tow dolly suggestion

I am looking to purchase a tow dolly to haul my Mazda 3 behind my Airstream Cutter. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Hoberg View Post
I am looking to purchase a tow dolly to haul my Mazda 3 behind my Airstream Cutter. Any suggestions?
I highly recommend the Acme tow dolly. Very well made and easy to use. We got the hydraulic brake model and after a few trips, we got pretty good at loading and unloading. Loading takes 15 minutes, unloading much less.The dolly wheels don't turn - so you have to figure out how to unlock the steering column of your toad - because the front wheels will need to turn on the dolly. their customer service dept is very good and there are videos available to show you how to hook everything up. We took delivery at the factory in NC and got a great overview of how to use it from the service team at the factory.

Good luck, happy glampinig!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

We have the Acme Eze-Tow, a sponsor here.
It's simple, lightweight, made in America, and for many years, the only dolly to have surge disc brakes...others saw the wisdom and offered it later.
https://cartowdolly.com/

There are two types of dolly...pivot pan and fixed frame. The Eze-Tow is a fixed frame and negotiates turns exactly like flat towing, where the car's front wheels pivot (any steering lock must be unlocked).
The pivot pan type turns by pivoting within the dolly frame.

There are really no "bad" dolly's on the market, so shop around and pick the one that YOU like.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Kar Kaddy. Tows excellent, easy to load/unload. Built like a tank.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Pete! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #6

I bought this one.

https://theusatrailerstore.com/premier-car-tow-dolly/

Have had it out on one trip so far with my Ford Escape FWD and it worked great. The only difficulty I had was they won't deliver to a residential address since a fork lift is required to unload it. I had it delivered to a friends welding shop and we assembled it in about two hours.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Acme EZTow Dolly has served us well for 7 years now. It's a good company to deal with. The surge brakes are great/simple.
https://cartowdolly.com/?gclid=EAIaI...SAAEgJQqvD_BwE
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And about dolly brakes...they are not required everywhere, but it is obviously safer and smarter to get a dolly with brakes and some sort of "brake-away" function.

Dollys come with electric or surge brakes -and- disc or drum type. All types work well on a dolly. Owner preference applys here.

If anyone travels state to state, they will surely enter an area that requires brakes on the tow, sooner or later. Plus, if (God forbid) there is an accident, the dolly brakes will aid in braking and could be called into question by authorities assigning fault.

Safe travels.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #9

We just had our first trip with our Acme dolly w/ surge brakes towing a Kia Sportage. We are newbie RVers as well so we looked for a solid well made dolly that has the flexibility we wanted. For example the wheel straps handled the 17" tires easily with room to spare when many others were limited to 16". Had to stop frequently to tighten the straps but they said we would.

Some other thoughts - they say the Acme the lightest but while at the RV dealer we had a chance to look at the Master Tow. It felt lighter when I lifted the tongue although I didn't get to actually move it around. The Acme and I am guessing most dollies require some effort to move around particularly in the grass of our storage site.

In terms of loading it looked like the Master Tow might be a bit easier. With the Acme your going to have to get under the towd to attach / detach the ramps and safety chains. The Master Tow you pull the pin and the entire pin with ramps tilts. Less crawling around under the car. The heavier duty ramps remove and store on the front of the Acme dolly.

The wheel strap ratchet mounts are bolted on the Acme. Much more solid. The Master Tow has a sliding rod that allows for adjustment of the mount after the car has been loaded. With our first few loads the car didn't end up on the dolly in the same place so the straps were a bit off center. Adjusting the Acme mounts after the load is not possible unless you back the car off a bit and use a wrench to move. We are more comfortable with the more solid bolt on and will get better once we get some practice.

All in all we are very happy with the Acme. We needed the confidence of the solid build and it provides that in spades. I would check around some RV sites to see if you can check out the different models. You might see more Master Tows but that might be because they are sold through RV dealers while the Acme is direct only.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tow Dollies - Kar Kaddy SS-pplmotorhomes.com

PPL drop shipped it to our home. Some installation required such as attaching fenders, ect. Well made and a good price.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #11

List of States

Does anyone know where to get a list of the states and their respective tow dolly rules. Or maybe a map.

Sudsy
Old 07-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #12

"Does anyone know where to get a list of the states and their respective tow dolly rules. Or maybe a map."

Here is a map of state and province touring brake requirements.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWJK55 View Post
"Does anyone know where to get a list of the states and their respective tow dolly rules. Or maybe a map."

Here is a map of state and province touring brake requirements.
BEWARE...
There's no list that I have ever seen that covers car towing (dolly or flat) requirements in all states.

Many, many states I have researched do not follow the trailer rules for towing a car...like in the list above, for CA, a trailer weighing 1,500lb must have a brake system (and registration) BUT a dolly tow does not require ANY braking (nor registration or insurance) because it is considered by the state to be "an extension of the towed vehicle".

Dolly Brakes are not required in many states - just check-out the U-haul shop near you to see if their rental dollies have brakes. We have personally towed cars on U-haul dollies with no brakes from MD to CA (repeated military moves). But when purchasing, we got brakes on our dolly because having a braking system on the toad is obviously smart and safer

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #14

It's always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Tags
tow, tow dolly, dolly