Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Tow Dolly Sway

Have been considering a tow dolly. A friend told me that his experience was they caused a lot of swaying when traveling on the highway, but this was with a u-haul rental dolly. Is this really a problem with the new higher quality dollies?

Thanks

Tonyg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

I towed a dolly and 2009 Toyota Corolla over 8000 miles with my MH and never new it was back there. If the dolly's wheels are properly aligned with the centerline of the dolly frame they tow straight as an arrow.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have no problem with mine either. U-Haul equipment is in very bad shape most of the time, & expensive!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
Have been considering a tow dolly. A friend told me that his experience was they caused a lot of swaying when traveling on the highway, but this was with a u-haul rental dolly. Is this really a problem with the new higher quality dollies?

Thanks

Tonyg
.............Not @ all Tonyg, we have an older Mastertow with a swivel plate and has no sway @ all. If I did not monitor it with the rear camera on, I would never know it's back there. We have had it 5+ years. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #5

Like justimagination, I have a MasterTow HD dolly. It pulls like a dream....I have to look in the rear camera to remember it and the toad are back there. And a lot of U-Haul stuff is poorly maintained. If tires are not properly inflated, a tow dolly or car trailer will wander all over the place (don't ask me how I know this!). Tongue weight should not really be an issue on a properly loaded dolly, but one must be careful that the dolly tongue (I guess we call it) is fairly horizontal. Too much angle one way or the other can cause serious wandering issues. Hope this helps....
Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #6

You can get sway if your pulling a rear wheel drive car and your motor is not on the dolly.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a MasterTow Dolly 80THD and my MH pulls it with our Volvo wagon on it effortlessly. No problem with sway or any other issues. I do check the dolly out throughly before departing on a trip to ensure tires are good and properly inflated. I also have my own grease gun for do the dolly wheel bearings once a year. Take care of it and it will do what it is designed to do without any problems.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a DEMCO SS Kar Kaddy & tow a Sebring Convertible. Nearly 8000 miles & no issues. This model allows the dolly's wheels to turn & track the MH. It's easy to load/unload & store. Ramps fold up & if necessary the tongue can be folded & tucked under the MH. I store it that way when not in use. I have heavy duty coated cable & padlock that I use to secure it to the the tow eyes on the MH. DW wanted a convertible & this was the best solution....It works well.
garyricc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't imagine what would cause a dolly to sway other than maintenance or tire pressure issues or as mention towing a vehicle backwards with the steering wheels on the ground and then that would be a toad vehicle issue not the fault of the dolly.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post

Thanks

Tonyg
i tow a 2002 nissan altima on a stehl dolly. i installed an ultra trac rear track bar before using the dolly as i had visible side to side sway in the backup camera and could even feel the back end moving side to side. i have 13' of overhang behind the rear axle. the track bar solved that problem.
the dolly with the nissan tows very well with no sway.
before you pay for a dolly, check the wheel alignment for toe in or out with a tape measure. my new dolly was delivered with 3/4'' of toe out. it cost me almost $1000 to get this corrected including 2 sets of tires. even with the poor alignment, the dolly did not sway. it just wore tires out in 600 miles.
my dolly has 13'' tires. i recommend you get a dolly with 14'' tires. 13'' 6 ply trailer tires are hard to find and i need them for the weight of the car on the dolly.

http://www.stehltow.com/
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #11

Tow Dolly Sway

Thanks to all for the responses. Went to see some dollies including the relatively light Master Tow. I have a lot of back problems and not able to move dolly around. Don't think it will work where we would have to store it when not used. Will have to use tow bar instead. Got a good deal on a 2011 Ford Focus
with manual transmission. Should outlast me!!

Thanks again

Tonyg