Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Been running my tires at 75 from day 1 and have not noticed any cracks yet. At present we have completed about 4 thousand miles. I sure hope mine do not start cracking because we have another 1800 mile trip coming up.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

KenNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #16

Tow Dolly Tires Cracking

Wondering if Kenda had a production issue?

I have always gotten great support from ACME. Most recently when I rebuilt the axle seals.

Thanks for the update. Hope to get out and check my tires, when the snow stops.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I agree and the reason is back in April of 2015 we were in Nappanee IN at Newmar and met a couple who were also using the EZ Tow Dolly. They showed us pictures that looked exactly like the ones posted here with this thread. Knowing this I checked my treads but, my dolly was practically brand new at the time so no issue, no surprise.

On my last trip to Louisiana I looked really close at both dolly tires and do not see any of these cracks and based on previous knowledge I was looking for cracks so my thought is a batch of tires but not all tires are having the issue. Well at least that is what I hope. I have over 4k miles on my tires. I know it was mentioned EZTow stated pulling the Ford Edge was okay but, my Nissan Altima is no way as heavy compared to the Edge. I am wondering if the increased weight + the initial higher pressures were the combination. That being said I am glad the user posted information about the tire cracks. It is easy enough to check.

It is snowing here in NJ as well but soon as it stops I am going to look again or at minimum jot down my tire date codes and go from there. Like I said, we have a trip coming up to Louisiana and we take the Baltimore tunnel both North and South. I do not need a dolly tire problem ever but certainly not in the Baltimore tunnel area.
KenNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Wondering if Kenda had a production issue?

I have always gotten great support from ACME. Most recently when I rebuilt the axle seals.

Thanks for the update. Hope to get out and check my tires, when the snow stops.
WOW, I just went out and checked my dolly which I have ready to roll for our spring trip. Below is what I found and so now I will need to get new tires as well

The date code on both my tires is 1514 and they have roughly 8,500 miles on them.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #19

Just as a follow-up, spoke to Kenda warranty and they are sending me requirements for warranty replacement. Need to shoot some photos and provide original date of purchase information. Dolly is in the shed buried under lawn furniture and one of my kayaks, should be interesting getting all the photos. They were very nice and supportive on the phone. Fortunately I don't need the dolly until May so will have time to resolve this issue.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
After reading the last few posts I'm curious as what pressures users have been running on their dollies. I think I ran 70 psi or so on my first set up until 3000 miles and then increased it to 90. That's when the cracks showed up. KenNJ says he runs 75 Psi without issues. vettenuts has the same issues as I but at what pressures. I would like to hear what other users are running in their tires.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #21

warranty or not I think you guys should be looking at other brands of trailer tires. Dave
Old 02-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #22

I ran mine the first season, about 3,500 miles, at 90 psi. After reading some recommendations this past spring, I ran this past season at 80 psi. Not sure it makes much difference. When I spoke to Kenda today, we did discuss some of the road conditions since I have had a lot of issues with really bad roads in NY and NJ especially, along with tire pressure and balance. I don't watch my dolly all the time, but when I do with the rear view camera it appears to be towing rock steady.

I am hoping to pull the tires back off this weekend.

I am also curious about date codes, since our two date codes are pretty close.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #23

Just a thought. Why would a tow dolly need 70-90 psi. since the vehicle being towed uses less than half that amount? Could it be possible to pressurize tow dolly tires close to the amount required on the vehicle being towed? Just asking.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bob View Post
Just a thought. Why would a tow dolly need 70-90 psi. since the vehicle being towed uses less than half that amount? Could it be possible to pressurize tow dolly tires close to the amount required on the vehicle being towed? Just asking.

Those tire pressures are set by the tire manufacturer to carry the required load.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #25

Was thinking about this whole situation last night and am wondering how much heat is a factor in this issue. I had one situation last fall where on a very hot day I wanted to pull into a rest area, which was at the bottom of a very long downhill grade. Used the engine brake to hold back the coach and then the service brake to enter the rest stop. However, the surge brakes on the dolly would have been on to some degree down the entire grade. When I parked you could have fried a burger on the brakes and the wheel was very hot as well. Not sure if this heat in the wheel could be a contributor to this issue and am also wondering if there is an insulator that could be used between wheel and the axle.

Of course had I not stopped I would not have seen this heat situation and it would have also cooled quicker with continued driving.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post
I have a EZTow Acme dolly with the Ford Edge on it. There are some minor issues with the dolly but I'm working those to satisfaction with Acme. They have been very helpful.

We went on our summer trip and near the end I noticed several cracks developing between the treads on the tires. I contacted Kenda the maker of the tires and haven't gotten a response yet but thought I would post here and see if anyone has had similar issues. So the story goes like this:

Attached are pictures of the cracks in the tires. In the first pic of the LH tire you can see a 3" crack developing. The second pic shows a small screwdriver down into the 3" crack.
Attachment 118016

Attachment 118015

This pic is of the RH tire that has several 1" cracks in it. This is the tire that leaks down through the cracks.
Attachment 118014

These are 2 pics after I sprayed soapy water on the leaking tire. The white areas are where air is bubbling up through the cracks.

Attachment 118017

Attachment 118018

If I remember correctly we traveled about 3000 miles on the original set of tires that came with the dolly with the pressure at around 70psi because I wasn't comfortable with 90psi as recommended. I wasn't sure if they were wearing correctly so I went ahead and boosted them up to 90psi. 2000 miles later I noticed cracks in those tires as well as the leaking seal. I then bought a new tire and installed it along with the spare, pressure set to 90psi. and ran them, the ones you see in the pics, 3000 miles. There you have it. So my questions are:

1. Is 90psi indeed to much pressure? (Acme seems to think so and recommends 75psi)
2. Would the higher pressure resulting in stronger transfer of the road surface cause the wear on the spindle resulting in the seal leaking?
3. Is the Ford Edge to heavy for the dolly and tires?

I have to rule out question 3, unless I am missing something, as the sticker on the Edge door says the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) is 2860 Lbs on the front and the tires are Load Range E at 1600 plus Lbs. (1600 x 2 = 3200 - 2860 is a margin of 340 Lbs)

Anybody have any ideas?
I have worked in the tire and rubber industry for near 30 years and here are some tips.

If your tires have near new date codes and you are not overloading them then Kenda has internal issues with the quality of their rubber compounds and/or tire build process.

Trailer tires tend to be lower quality no matter who makes them. I think most all are made overseas.

They need to be inspected and replaced more often than normal tires.

If they are stored where they can be exposed to the outdoors it is very important to cover them. The ingredient in rubber compounds that protects against what we commonly call dry rot is wax. It blooms to the surface and gives the tire invisible protection. Trailer tires tend to be depleted of wax very quickly and begin to crack.

Don't wash them to often as every time you wash them you will deplete more of the protective wax.

The bottom line is that trailer tires should be watched very closely. I assume they are all junk. I have had failures with nearly new tires from companies like Goodyear, Carlisle, and Tow-master.

I only expect to get 3 to 5 years out of any trailer tire.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had well over 10K on my original EZE Tow dolly tires with no problems other than a nail puncture repair. The OE tires are China tires, QUALITY will vary, prior to retirement I used many China components, aircraft quality cable to plastic parts. The quality was all over the map, Stuff I rejected went back to central purchasing and was sent to sister plants, and their customers suffered. Be sure your tires are 10 ply, that size is available in lesser load ratings less ply. I would go to the 90 pounds with your load I ran 70 with my KIA, (2770 total curb weight). Your heavier vehicle will create more braking action (assuming you have the surge brakes) so possibly some extra heat, worth talking to Richard at Acme about, a heavier spring may be available. I sold the ACME and went to a tow bar but not for any reasons of problems with the unit. Without checking back I'm pretty sure I put 12,500 on the original tires. When I had the puncture I put the 2 new spares on and kept the 2 old ones for the spares.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #28

Been doing some "googling" and found a few tidbits, some of which were mentioned by Forza Tom.

From etrailer.com: "Trailer tires should always be inflated to the maximum psi rating indicated on the tire. If a tire is under inflated, it will cause the side wall to build up more heat faster and cause the tire to fail. Trailer tires have a thicker side wall so that they can handle more vertical load, passenger vehicle tires do not have as thick of a side wall so they should not be used on trailers."

Kenda also told me to run the 90 psi as well. Not sure if the lower pressure contributed but will use the 90 psi going forward with my new tires.

From Cedar Rapid Tire: "Trailer Tire Life Span & Replacement:
High speed towing in hot conditions degrades trailer tires significantly. As heat builds up during driving, the tire's internal structure starts to breakdown, compromising the strength of the tire. It is recommended to not exceed 60 miles per hour (MPH) while towing a trailer. 3 to 5 years of service is the average life expectancy of a Trailer Tire. After three years of use you should consider replacing your trailer tires with new, even if the tires have adequate tread depth left. After five years of service, trailer tires are considered worn out and should be replaced."

The interesting note here is the tow speed. Also, this is not specific to the tires on the ACME but all trailer tires and I have read this same statement from several dealers. I usually try to run at 60 but it is not always easy to do so. Since these tires are smaller in diameter, not sure if this is a bigger player then say a 16" trailer tire that will spin at a lower RPM for the same speed.

Tags
dolly, tires, tow, tow dolly