Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #43

From eztow FAQ,

http://cartowdolly.com/faqs/

It depends on the application, the road conditions, hard braking etc. We have customers that get 5000 miles and some get 20,000 miles from their tires. The passenger side tires wear faster because that side of the road is always worse. If the roads you travel are rough your tires will wear faster. Dollies do not have suspensions out of necessity. Therefore the tire is the only suspension component for a dolly. Uneven tire wear could be an indication that the bearings need to be adjusted. We now balance our tires with internal balancing beads. No need to ever balance the tires.
----------------------------------------------------'

A while back, there was a user that wore out the curbside tire faster then the other.

I thought it may have had to do with right turns being a sharper turn, causing more scuff wear.

Which tires are spliting open ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 05:53 AM   #44

Both sides on mine. I still think there are two things at play, high heat and hard impact due to some of the bad roads we have traveled. Some of the large potholes that were on the highway at speed made me cringe for the coach, let alone the dolly.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:23 AM   #45

One other thought, because I have seen it on my dolly a few times.

After a sharp turn, when I max out the turntable, one car tire moves back on the deck. It will sit like that because the turntable will just be slightly turned.

When you do your walk around, are the car tires evenly sitting on the trays they sit in or on.

If one tire is strapped down, rearward of the other, it could put the dolly in a crabbing situation. That will chew up the tires.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
One other thought, because I have seen it on my dolly a few times.

After a sharp turn, when I max out the turntable, one car tire moves back on the deck. It will sit like that because the turntable will just be slightly turned.

When you do your walk around, are the car tires evenly sitting on the trays they sit in or on.

If one tire is strapped down, rearward of the other, it could put the dolly in a crabbing situation. That will chew up the tires.

If I stop with the coach/dolly/car turned, the outboard strap will be stretched enough that the tire is not touching the stop on the dolly. However, the steering wheel will also be turned. Don't think any dolly design will prevent this strap stretch as the wheel nets are just not that stiff.

Most of the mileage is basically straight ahead and wouldn't be an issue, however if you pull off the highway and then make a hard turn at the end of the exit ramp, the tires are at their hottest and any scrubbing would also be at it's maximum.

Interesting observation though.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Practically every trip I have made since purchasing the dolly have been to Indiana from NJ and to Louisiana from NJ. In all of my trips I do not remember long stretches of road that were in bad shape and these are all highway roads so the passenger side for me is okay. I do not see more wear on my passenger side. These tires should have lasted longer than this
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Both tires for me also. I just contacted Kenda / Loadstar warranty support and they are emailing me some forms to fill out and return with pictures. According to the Kenda limited warranty, you only qualify for a free replacement if the tire is defective within the 1st 12 months or 10% of tread wear or whichever comes first so I'm now at the mercy of the percentage of tread wear (pro rated). Even if I get my tires replaced under warranty I'm probably going to put the Carlisle Sport Trail tires on and give that a try. My problem is I think the tread pattern on the Loadstar tires is way too aggressive.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I am dealing with EZTow, can you provide information on the tires. The reason I started with EZTow is because my tire information was not included with all of my paper work.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #50

The information required by Kenda is the original purchase date so if you have your receipt for the dolly itself that should work. The rest of the information is photographs of the tires (DOT code, size, date of manufacture, etc.). I pulled my tires off so I could set them on the work bench rather than sit out in the shed where it is nice and freezing cold right now with heavy blowing snow.

One thing you realize when you take the photos and display them on the screen is these tires are worked pretty hard. Not sure another brand will hold up any better. Also, Kenda makes a 12 inch version of the tire with a heavier capacity and similar outside diameter but it doesn't appear to be sold in the US.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Looks to me that a larger wheel/tire might fit. Wondering if that is worth further investigation. Also, do other dollies have a suspension or are their axles solid mounted. Wonder if this is unique to ACME or do other dolly tires suffer the same fate. Of course, if not for this thread, I would have never looked that close at my tires.
Dolly's do not have suspension, but the way we tie them down around the tires, the car's suspension is in play. Although there is more unsprung weight added to the car with the dolly, which would be a handling issue in a car for spirited driving. The cars suspension would take a lot of forces away from the dolly tires and axles.
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #52

Tow Dolly Tires Cracking

Interesting find for replacing the steel wheels, a spoked aluminum wheel with the Kenda tire. Unfortunately looking at the wheels separately it appears they may not handle the cold pressure. However, the aluminum and the spokes should dissipate tire heat better and insulate the brake heat as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Loadstar...productDetails
Old 02-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Anybody have experience with Carlisle tires? Have been looking at their catalog. The on-line discussion of the travel trailer folks paints a poor picture of their tires.
Several years back when I was towing a 25ft travel trailer I had all 4 Carlisle Tires fail on the same trip.

They were all tread separations and the all happened within 200 miles of leaving home.

They were only 2.5 years old with less that 5000 miles

I have never purchased a Carlisle Tire again.

At the time I was a supplier to Carlisle and frequently visited their corporate HQ so they had me save and ship one of the tires back to them for analysis.

They were unable to explain why the tires failed.

They only thing they did say that tandem axles place some stresses on tires single axles don't.

They also told me that trailer tires aren't built to the same standards as standard auto tires.

Needless to say that I have been very suspicious of any trailer tire since then.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #54

I will say that ACME has always treated me well and now Kenda has too. After photographing the tire and blowing them up on the screen, these tires are working hard. My plan now is to install new tires on my rims and pick up a 2nd spare. Run the tires at 90 psi per Kenda (and other trailer tire manufacturers who recommend using the maximum cold pressure) and then monitor with my TPMS and inspect them frequently. In the meantime I am trying to figure out how to keep some of the heat out of the wheels.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #55

Question for those who have and have not had a tire issue. What is the height of your hitch from the ground? I have been discussing going down inclines with the surge brakes with UFP who make the system used on our dollies.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Mine is right at 15". Pretty sure the spec goes from 14" to 16" or at least that is what they show in the video.

Tags
dolly, tires, tow, tow dolly