Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 AM   #71
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Acme

Def 75 PSI w balancing beads.
We do have a position schematic that specifies the correct measurements. However it would have to determined by someone with a frame machine. The position of the spindle si is far too accurate for a manual measurement.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #72

Has EZE tow ever considered or tested aluminum wheels? I have been considering trying a set but don't want to if you have previously tested them and found them to be insufficient.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a boat trailer with surge brakes and it used the cutout solenoid hooked to the reverse light circuit. It was just used...obviously, for backing the trailer.

I would be wary of using it as some suggest on a down grade. The solenoid blocks the flow of brake fluid to the calipers...and there is not a bypass or return... If you make the mistake of closing the solenoid while brakes are applied...the fluid will be trapped. On a boat trailer...when you notice the brakes dragging...pulling forward w bit turns off the solenoid and releases the trapped fluid....then you put it back into reverse the solenoid closes when the vehicle is shifted into reverse before any movement and the brakes remain released. People don't normall back trailers great distances. If you make the mistake of trapping fluid in the brake caliper going down a steep grade...you'll certainly cause more damage than you were hoping to prevent.

I found out something else during our last outing. We have the TST TPMS. I was having a problem figuring out how to set the dolly pressures...as the Dolly runs 75 psi and the Prius is around 35 PSI. It turns out my tag axle runs 75 psi as well...so I paired the sensors to the outer wheel position on the tag axle...and the Prius is paired to the rear trailer wheel position. I originally purchased the TPMS thru Amazon.com with 6 sensors...now with the dolly and a tag axle motorhome I needed 6 more sensors. It was cheaper to purchase a new kit with 6 sensors, than just purchasing sensors alone. This works out great...because I have one display unit programmed for the Motorhome alone...and the other is programmed for the Motorhome and tow dolly. It just prevents the monitor cycling thru unused positions when not towing the dolly.

We've not towed with the dolly yet... We just got home with the Motorhome...and have to get a drawbar for the Motorhome.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #74

I have the TPMS as well and last year I installed metal valve stems in place of the rubber that the dolly came with. The temps I read on the dolly are quite a bit higher than the coach likely due to the smaller wheels and brakes along with any heat transfer into the rim. I actually had to set my upper limit on the dolly higher than 20% to keep it from alarming. Then again, the sun side is higher than the shade side and if you are traveling in the same direction and the sun moves west the temp will reverse. Saw that last year on our trip to Maine where we were generally driving north. Kind of interesting to watch but nothing of concern.

I agree on the solenoid, I think I will try to do what UPF suggested to cool the brakes occasionally during a long downhill run.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #75

I'm surprised the tires come with rubber valve stems. The rule of thumb for many years has been that any pressures over 60 psi require metal valve stems. Not only that, but most TPMS manufacturers recommend metal valve stems due to the added weight of the sensors on the stems. Maybe things have changed recently, but that's been the consensus for many years.

As for the TST monitor cycling through unused axles, which model do you have? Our 507 series allows us to skip the axles not in use.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
In any case we have decided to make replacement tires and balancing beads available to everyone for $49.99 plus shipping. That's Two tires and balancing bead sets. This is not a promotion, It is the new fixed price. Richard Brown
Richard as a brand new customer (purchase dolly in DEC) is there any other things we should be aware of prior to placing the order? wheels? straps? I would certainly have ordered my dolly with the extra tires at that price and saved the shipping cost.

Thank you for responding on the forum and for the interest EZE TOW is showing on this matter as well. it is very refreshing to see a manufacture representative addressing the customers
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I'm surprised the tires come with rubber valve stems. The rule of thumb for many years has been that any pressures over 60 psi require metal valve stems. Not only that, but most TPMS manufacturers recommend metal valve stems due to the added weight of the sensors on the stems. Maybe things have changed recently, but that's been the consensus for many years.

As for the TST monitor cycling through unused axles, which model do you have? Our 507 series allows us to skip the axles not in use.

The valve stems supplied are high pressure valve stems with a metal core. However, they will still flex with a TPMS sensor attached and that is why I swapped mine out for bolt in metal valve stems.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
New Tire Pressure Recommendation From EZE Tow

Acme's recommendation to set the pressure in the tires at 75 psi is in line with my findings. I did not see the cracks between the treads until I increased the pressure to 90 psi. Another poster stated that he ran 70 psi for over 10k miles, albeit a lighter load than I, lends support to the recommendation. I ran 70 psi for 3k miles and only upped it to 90 when I noticed a wear pattern that may have been due to under inflation but it also may be due to a frame issue. I will set my pressures to the recommended 75 psi on the new tires Kenda sent me instead of the former 70 psi I started with. Could 5 psi make such a difference in tire wear that I saw before going to 90? Time will tell. My frame issue, if there is one, may be why the seal on the left wheel hub started to leak. I contacted the hub manufacturer and they sent me 2 sets of replacement parts. I replaced the seals in the left wheel hub in the field where getting the leaking oil off the hub was difficult so I have no indication the leak has been fixed other than I didn't see any fresh oil on the tire afterward. I am in a position to deep clean the area with my pressure washer and will be able to tell if it was just a bad seal or a frame issue on the next outing.

As far as temperature issues I haven't seen anything like that. We traveled through 3 mountain regions from the Appalachians, through the Ozarks, and the Rockies, and back again. The Ozarks believe it or not had the steepest mountain grades we encountered except for the pass on I-24 through Mont Eagle Tn. No temp issues going up or down those grades.

Thanks to Richard for taking the time to follow our posts on this forum. Acme is a first class company. According to his post they have more than 12,000 dollies out there pulling cars around. With that many they must be doing something right.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #79

Thanks for the further explanation, now I understand why you plan to run 75 psi. I was under the assumption from your first post that both 75 and 90 resulted in the same cracking phenomenon. Based on the recommendation from ACME and your finding I will set mine at 75 psi for my spring trip.

I did go to Harbor Freight and bought a mini tire changer so I can swap out my tires. It's pretty light so I may throw it in the basement of the coach.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #80

Freightliner Owners Club
I have been running 90 psi since that is what Acme spec'd when my dolly was purchased. The only time pressure was reduced is when pulling the dolly empty, then about 30 psi. From my reading, trailer tires should be inflated to the maximum pressure on the side wall since they experience high side loads. The Acme tires skid in tight turns as can be seen by marks left in the pavement. The TPMS has never indicated excessive temperatures even when using the engine brake on long steep grades. The remaining tread is pretty minimal and I do see a one inch crack on one of the tires.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just bought a used 2014 EZE tow, and found cracks in the tires after reading this thread. Was going to pursue the warranty, but at 2 yrs and as the 2nd owner, probably not much return for the effort. I took advantage of Richard Brown's offer and bought a new set for $50 plus shipping. The fact that Acme decided to sell the tires at what has to be their cost confirmed for me what everyone has been saying about their culture of customer service. If their dolly is as solid as their ethical standards I think I will be very happy with my purchase.
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #82

Yes, I have one spare and am thinking of picking up a second so I can do a full swap on the road.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
jones47172 aka Mike,

Follow Acme's recommendation to change pressures from 90 to 75 psi. Depending on the age of your cracked tire submit a warranty form to Kenda for a replacement tire. There's a link to the form somewhere in this thread. If the tire is out of warranty get a replacement from Acme. This is the best deal anywhere as just the balancing beads alone are around $10 for a pack to fit this size tire.

vettenuts aka Bob T,
Let me know how the tire changer works out. I have a bead breaker for general aviation tires that I used after rigging up a way to keep the rim of the dolly tire attached. It worked pretty well but I'm always looking for ways to be more efficient.

Blangry29 aka Bob,
I'm confident you will like the EZE Tow dolly. It has its quirks but overall I believe it is the best one on the market.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a tire/wheel combination from Amazon. You can also find wheel only for $25 at E-Trailer, probably other sites available also. Amazon also has an aluminum wheel rated at 1670#'s. I carried 2 mounted spares rather than mess with it on the road.

Tags
dolly, tires, tow, tow dolly