Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post

vettenuts aka Bob T,
Let me know how the tire changer works out.
Not so good. I was OK for removal but it won't re-install because the tire is too wide and too stiff. I found I had to install on the ground by standing on the tire to flex it enough to fit into the small of the wheel so you can work the bead around. I guess I will need to buy some tire irons as well, just not sure if you can get small ones.

I also was able to recover the balance beads after removal, something a tire dealer likely won't do. That took about 15 minutes because its like picking up dust particles.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #86

Damon Owners Club
I have a manual tire changer that I used for years changing my motorcycle tires and on my utility trailer that has 13" tires. Changing 10 ply tires on a 10" rim is going to be a challenge with a manual tire changer. Using Tire Irons is a must and the longer the better for more leverage. I have a couple of these that I use the most.
Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0007 16" Curved Tire Iron: Automotive
Old 02-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #87

Well, I can still use the changer for my tractor and zero turn, but using it for the dolly tires is limited. Removal OK, installation no way. I will take a closer look at those tire irons, they are that bad in price.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #88

Sorry, should have been they aren't that bad of a price.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #89

A Ford Edge can be towed four wheels down. You don't need a blankety, blank tow dolly that you are constantly finding a place to stick it while in a park setting. Three pages of discussion about a device that you don't need when towing a Ford Edge.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
A Ford Edge can be towed four wheels down. You don't need a blankety, blank tow dolly that you are constantly finding a place to stick it while in a park setting. Three pages of discussion about a device that you don't need when towing a Ford Edge.
Not sure what that has to do with tires cracking. Are you suggesting we all but a Ford Edge ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #91

This subject started with tires cracking on a tow dolly that was hauling a Ford Edge. I just was remarking that a Ford Edge does not need to be towed with 2wheels on a dolly.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:01 AM   #92

Tow Dolly Tires Cracking

My Malibu can be towed four down as well, but I elected not to cut up the radiator baffles and not cut up my front grill and not alter the front crumple zone. Hence the use of a dolly.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
The only Ford Edge that can be towed 4 down is the AWD version the others need a dolly. That is what the owners manual says.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stretch,

I agree that you don't need to put the Edge on a dolly but you may have not done enough research on the subject.

Cost comparison Dolly vs 4 Down
Dolly:
Tow Dolly with Spare Tire $1880.00
Wiring Kit for Brake Lights $80.00
Total Cost of Dolly installation $1960.00

4 Down: (parts from etrailer.com)
Base Plate for the Edge $400.00 (Vehicle Mods must be made)
Tow Bar $590.00
Safety Cables $48.00
Brake System $1,250.00
Wiring Kit for Brake Lights $80.00
Toad Charge Kit $80.00
Total Cost of 4 Down Install $2477.00 (Parts only, need to add labor for install which drives up the cost further)

That's at least $517.00 less using a dolly over a tow bar plus there is no wear and tear on the transmission (read through the many posts on this and other forums about Ford tranny troubles from towing 4 down). I don't have to leave the ignition on while towing, stop and run the engine to cool the transmission, or permanently modify the vehicle to accept a tow plate of which I can't use if I purchase another vehicle. According to another poster who towed 4 down in tow mode his Edge continued to compute miles traveled. Didn't want to take that chance if true.

With the dolly I can change vehicles easily, store it under the coach at the campsite, go all day without having to start the Edge, reduce wear and tear on the tranny, use the dolly for other reasons, and don't have to explain why the front of the vehicle has holes in it when I trade it off.

The only real issue I have had with this is the tires on the dolly. That is the reason for this thread which has made many others aware of an issue they may not have been aware of which in turn may have prevented someone from having costly issues out on the road.

I hope this clarifies for you my reason to put the Edge on a dolly.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #95

I stand corrected.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #96

Towing four down requires fitting equipment to the car and sometimes cutting it up to do it. We have more than one we may take. Makes the dolly even more cost effective. Dolly makes sense for us. Towing four down is not always the best answer.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #97

Acme tow dolly

Good afternoon everyone! Acme Tow Dolly here. Although this issue has affected a small percentage of customers we take all customer feedback very seriously. We want you to know that we are currently researching the resolution for everyone. We are currently testing a new tire and wheel combination which is a ST145 R 12 10 Ply Radial tire. We are looking for a dozen customers who are wiling to field test these tires for us. We will ship you a set of these new tires free of charge, and we simply ask for your feedback in return. These tires fit on the dolly as is and only raise the height 3/8". We have included a couple photos showing the new tires on the dolly. The ideal candidate will be someone who is planning on traveling a decent amount of miles. If you would be interested in field testing for us please email us directly.

Happy and Safe Motoring!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Tire 1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	119198   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Tire 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	119199  

EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #98

Thanks for researching this for us. I have a long trip planned but not until May.

Tags
dolly, tires, tow, tow dolly