Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cool Tow Dolly Tongue Jack???

I'm just wondering??? I would like to be able to unhook the dolly while the TOAD is still on it. There are times this could be a real time saver. Is this safely possible? Is there a tongue jack sold that is strong enough for the task? What are your thoughts and/or experiences?????

Thanks!

ed
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #2

Go for it, and it will not take much of a jack as there is little tongue weight.

About any RV store should have a simple bolt on tongue jack.

If seldom used, a SUV's jack and a couple pieces of lumber works fine!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As Ed says, there is very little weight on the tongue of a dolly and any trailer tongue jack will be more than adequate.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Have your wheel chocks handy so you remember to secure the wheels before you unhook.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieioh View Post
I'm just wondering??? I would like to be able to unhook the dolly while the TOAD is still on it. There are times this could be a real time saver. Is this safely possible? Is there a tongue jack sold that is strong enough for the task? What are your thoughts and/or experiences?????

Thanks!

ed
what kind of moho do you have? you should update your signature box with that info.
harbor freight has tongue jacks for $20. mine is working fine on my stehl dolly. a backup camera is real handy when hooking up to the moho.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks All! I'll give it more thought and probably give it a try.

I'm a little shy about my rig since most everyone who posts here have Class A's or better. We're running a 2004 Minnie Winnie 32 footer, pulling a 2004 Toyota Camry (often with the Mad River Explorer canoe strapped on top).

As far as the suggestion of adding these descriptions to my sig line; I dislike taking up that much bandwidth with every post.

Again, thanks to all!

edwierdo
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieioh View Post
Thanks All! I'll give it more thought and probably give it a try.

I'm a little shy about my rig since most everyone who posts here have Class A's or better. We're running a 2004 Minnie Winnie 32 footer, pulling a 2004 Toyota Camry (often with the Mad River Explorer canoe strapped on top).

As far as the suggestion of adding these descriptions to my sig line; I dislike taking up that much bandwidth with every post.

Again, thanks to all!

edwierdo
Don't be shy about your rig. The whole idea is having fun with the family or whoever you are with. Many of us have had Class C's. Our first one was a 10 year old C when we got it. We had fun with that also.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
rek

I am new to this site so I am a little late replying to this post. I wanted to know if you add a tongue jack to tow dolly can you unload the car from dolly without being hitched to MH? If you can't what is the advantage of having the tongue jack? It just seems that it would be very difficult to rehitch to a larger MH. Is it not that hard to rehitch?
rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #9

Please don't try driving off an unhitched dolly or unloading an unhitched trailer from the rear. The sudden transfer of weight will flip the tounge skyward in an instant and the unit may be propelled forward into bystanders or other objects. Good luck!~!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #10

Don't ever try to load or unload a car from a dolly that is not hitched to something. You will get the experience described above. Since a dolly is moved when empty there really is no need for a tongue jack. The tongue weighs very little because of balance of weight on an empty dolly.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #11

"If you can't what is the advantage of having the tongue jack?"

The orig poster asked if there was a way to disconnect the dolly with the auto still attached - the answer is yes, with a tongue jack.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
rek

I was questioning, how difficult is it to rehitch to a loaded tow dolly with a large MH? You can't be moving the dolly tongue around as when it was empty.
rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rek View Post
I was questioning, how difficult is it to rehitch to a loaded tow dolly with a large MH? You can't be moving the dolly tongue around as when it was empty.
when you have a backup camera it is very easy to hitch up a loaded tow dolly or trailer resting on a tongue hack.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #14

I have a tongue jack on my dolly and it is a real plus when moving it around in a site. I have a spare mounted on a Harbor Freight spare tire carrier so it is setting flat on the top of the tongue. This is a good item to grab and wheel the dolly where I want it.
I can unhook the dolly with the toad on it, but normally don't do this.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote